X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PaulC
    Administrator
    • Feb 2003

Jeff, I cleaned up your mess for you. And embedded the video. Was that shot at 3:00am or what?

Looking forward to seeing those guns. Get well soon, amigo.
    Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
    <><

Comment

• JWLaRue
      Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
      • Aug 1994

JeffP,

Here are two photos of the Type II conning tower showing one of the embedded PE parts. For reference, the overall width of that PE piece is 1/2 inch.

-JeffL
      Attached Files
      Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• salmon
        Treasurer
        • Jul 2011

Nice Jeff! On the Gato, what does it look like and what references are you (general population) are using?
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• jefftytoo
          SubCommittee Member
          • Mar 2003

Yes, Mr. LaRue, those holes look wonderful and that's the sort of thing I'll be trying for.

Paul, as with all things, thanks for your help, ol' buddy.

TomC, those chain locker drains were covered better by Paul much earlier in this thread somewhere. I'd go back and search for the page(s) for ya, but I'm not up to it at the moment. Sorry...

Comment

• salmon
            Treasurer
            • Jul 2011

Jeff, no worries, I found the pages, you just take care of yourself.

I had no plans showing them, but so far I found the launching of Growler and Drum, you can sorta make out the holes, but on the Flying Fish.....just look at the shot, perfect!

I am convinced.
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• PaulC
              Administrator
              • Feb 2003

They're definitely on there. You can see them on existing museum boats as well (when out of the water).
              Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
              <><

Comment

• jefftytoo
                SubCommittee Member
                • Mar 2003

I expect this shot's gonna come out sideways or upside down because it was taken on my phone, but you'll still get the idea. These are the 1:72 20mm cannons I ordered from Shapeways recently. Love 'em because they feature the correct tripod mounts (other aftermarket 20mm's do not) and they've got the cool blast shields which although Harder definitely had 'em, I believe they were pretty rare on submarines in general: lots of drag!

Note these parts are very delicate! One of them is already missing a shoulder extension; not sure if it broke off in transit (despite being extremely well-packaged) or if I've simply unknowingly broken it off myself. The missing piece will be replaced with a PE duplicate, so no big deal. In fact, I hope/plan to glue on assorted PE pieces to these guns to beef them up somewhat for the rigors of eventually forthcoming South Pacific patrols.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2229.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	129841

JeffP

Comment

• jefftytoo
                  SubCommittee Member
                  • Mar 2003

Hey, it worked! (Go figure.)

JeffP

Comment

• boomerfunker
                    SubCommittee Member
                    • Mar 2003

Hey, you guys like submarines too?

Thanks for posting the video from Batfish Jeff. Good times. Sometimes I miss Harry though...

Comment

• jefftytoo
                      SubCommittee Member
                      • Mar 2003

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2191.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	129844

JeffP

Comment

• jefftytoo
                        SubCommittee Member
                        • Mar 2003

Big Dave sent me the above image of Sgt. Schultz. You guys will now be seeing it more often because of this fact...

JeffP

Comment

• steveneill
                          SubCommittee Member
                          • Jul 2009

Paul I missed this thread and I just love all the work you have done on this boat. Quite inspiring. Wayne Frey sent me one years ago he had started but never finished. It had a subdriver in it but I converted to RCABS. I have never got the handle on using the gas. It works great. Could use more freeboard(I'm working on that) but I enjoy the good handling of the boat and how smooth it is underwater.
                          Can't wait to see the finished boat!

www.steveneillsgarage.com

Comment

• PaulC
                            Administrator
                            • Feb 2003

Thanks, Neil. Got a severe case of rivet counting on this one so it will take a while. I remember Wayne passing that kit on to you. It looks great. Speaking of Wayne, he has resurfaced outside Austin. Who knows, he may get working on a project again.
                            Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
                            <><

Comment

• thor
                              SubCommittee Member
                              • Feb 2009

Rumor has it that Wayne has an Akuka in the works....
                              Regards,

Matt

Comment

• boomerfunker
                                SubCommittee Member
                                • Mar 2003

Hello Wolfpack!

Actually making some progress on Trigger lately. Right now I am attaching the deck to the hull to prepare for teak decking in the near future. My question is for those folks who have built up the Revell Gato into a working model and are familiar with David Merriman's conversion kit for for same. I like the tabs he designed and included with the conversion kit that slide under the crossmembers up under the extreme forward deck and will be utilizing those up there, but in the stern he uses a resin plug under the extreme terminus of the turtle back and a tiny, tiny, machine screw through the deck and into the resin block to hold the stern part of the deck in place.

I'm going to lose that screw if I look at it sideways and it seems there could be a better way. A better way someone brilliant already thought of! Magnets maybe? Anyhow, what have you guys done in this regard and extra credit if I won't have the head of some ugly screw showing when I'm done.

Thanks, and I will have a real progress post soon.

TomK

Comment

Working...
                                X