X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jefftytoo
    SubCommittee Member
    • Mar 2003

Wow, thanks for following, Scott, and for the advice. A couple more redo spots to do on the port side, and have also now started on the starboard. More progress shots soon!

Comment

• jefftytoo
      SubCommittee Member
      • Mar 2003

After a lot of painstaking refinement, custom cutting, and many redo’s, the PE is finally—FINALLY—done on Harder’s main deck, nearly covering it! It’s all far from perfect, but her starboard side did turn out a bit better (this shall now be her “good side” for later photos) because I started with the port side and improved at installation as I went along… Rigorous employment of steel wool afterward served to remove most of the scratches and blemishes and even much of the evidence of my over-gluing. I’m hoping the paint job will further serve to cover a multitude of sins.

More next time,
      Jeff

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7836.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	135928

Name:	IMG_7837.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	135929

Name:	IMG_7838.jpg
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	135930

Name:	IMG_7840.JPG.jpg
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	135931

Comment

• Ben Brigham
        • Sep 2019

Jeff, that's amazing work! So much of the topside has gotten this etched plating!
        With all the 3rd-party add-ons, at what point does it no longer qualify as a Revell kit?

(and will you need to apply ferric chloride to etch the brass prior to painting?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
          No one
          • Jul 2003

Now you need to start working with HY-100.
          v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
          NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
          USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS KRAKEN-USS PATRICK HENRY-HMS VENGEANCE-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• jefftytoo
            SubCommittee Member
            • Mar 2003

Thanks, Ben. And good question! Some fast primering in tests spots earlier has shown the paint to seem to stick okay, but I dunno—maybe I will need to pickle the metal first. I'll have to check with my buddy Lars, who's been commissioned to paint this girl when she's ready. (He's the guy who made my Nautilus look so exceptional.)

Comment

• jefftytoo
              SubCommittee Member
              • Mar 2003

Thanks, SubEd. But I think I'll leave that to the experts at EB—I'm finding styrene and brass quite difficult enough to work with! ;-)

Comment

• jefftytoo
                SubCommittee Member
                • Mar 2003

With the whole-deck PE work described above now finally behind me, it was time to move on…

A Harder reference photo showed her anchor well more rounded on the right side than the kit’s squared-off version. This was confirmed by photos of other fleetboat anchor wells sent to me by my pal Tom Kisler. So I took a Dremel tool to the well’s right edge, filled in the kit’s existing mounting hole with a small chunk of styrene, made a new hole to fit the stem of the more accurate 1:72 scale Shapeways anchor I’d obtained to replace the kit’s clunky anchor—and voila: the anchor presentation now resembles the photo of Harder’s actual anchor. (Huzzah!)

Next I’ll start work on her fairwater; there’ll be mods to her shears and such there too. But for now the whole boat again gets set aside as I get back to work on the next SubCommittee Report. The new issue comes out soon!

Name:	IMG_7884.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	135944

Name:	IMG_7845.jpg
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	135945

Name:	IMG_7877.JPG
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	135946

Comment

• jefftytoo
                  SubCommittee Member
                  • Mar 2003

Wanted to post here simply to get this thread once again in a more easily findable area of the new forum architecture. There is invaluable advice throughout this thread for anyone building a Revell 1:72 Gato. My own build of USS Harder (SS-257) has been ongoing, but has lately been documented only in the last few issues of the SCR (though in great detail). My bad. I’ll try to get any progress from my next workbench session with her posted here as well. I am currently working on trying to cosmetically convert the kit’s generic sail specifically to Harder’s configuration…

Hmm, can’t seem to get a photo to upload. Will have to work on that…

Comment

• jefftytoo
                    SubCommittee Member
                    • Mar 2003

Here’s a recent shot…

Name:	A8BE135F-4CC1-4E5B-A0F2-DA7BB678888B.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	853.3 KB
ID:	148218
                    Attached Files

Comment

• scott t
                      • Feb 2003

Looking brassy.

Comment

• jefftytoo
                        SubCommittee Member
                        • Mar 2003

Thanks, Scott! Howzabout a harmonica serenade instead of something from the brass section?

Comment

• bob the builder
                          Former SC President
                          • Feb 2003

Moved to the Build section!

Bob
                          The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• jefftytoo
                            SubCommittee Member
                            • Mar 2003

Thanks for the update, Bob! Thumbs up!

Comment

• jefftytoo
                              SubCommittee Member
                              • Mar 2003

Strange: the content of this particular build forum is now all out of order; must be something to do with having moved it to this new location. Oh well, I'll post my latest here and hope it shifts back into sequence or otherwise works itself out...

I've been busy working on the next installment of my ongoing USS Harder conversion article for the new SCR coming out at the end of next week. More pix plus full progress report there and then!

Jeff

P.S. Hey, how come the attached pix are so small and must be clicked on to see?
                              Attached Files

Comment

• wlambing
                                SubCommittee Member
                                • Feb 2003

The head assembly of Forum periscope (Observation) is NOT correct! The attack scope looks good! Has Forum been modified to be a snorkel tube?

Bill

Former God of Scopes, masts & antennae 57H, R-4, NSSF Groton 1992-1995. Career Submariner.

Comment

Working...
                                X