• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PaulC
    Administrator
    • Feb 2003

1/72nd Revell Gato Wolfpack

Like many of you I have had a Revell Gato or two lying around my shop for years awaiting inspiration. Through a circuitous route I find myself back working on it with some accountability partners. Porteous, Kisler, and I have decided to finally put our kits and AM parts to good use and create our own wolfpack. John Knasas' beautiful boat is our main inspiration. He's done such a good job with his, and it performs so well in the water, we figure if our results are half as good we'll be doing alright.

The pack will consist of Gato (Knasas), Harder (Porteous), Trigger (Kisler) and Flasher (me). Suitably alliterative wolfpack name to follow. Why Flasher? Well, the first "grown up" book I ever read was Grider's 'War Fish' and I've always been thrilled by his account of his first patrol as CO, her fifth. If you're unfamiliar with the story of the "flaming action patrol" by all means check it out of your local library. Flasher during her fifth war patrol had her own slightly modified look which will pose a few interesting challenges -- but not so many that it will bog me down. I've been lost in detail hell on several boats recently and this project is ostensibly about fun. Why not Wahoo you ask? Hopefully she will come some day too in a slightly larger scale.

So, Flasher circa 5WP is an Electric Boat Gato-class so the Revell kit, which really is nice, is a great starting point. What it will require is some effort to convert the fairwater to Flasher's clean covered wagon look. The first thing I did was lop off some of the details on the kit parts. First to go were the square raised panel lines along the bottom of each side. These weld lines are on the boat the kit was primarily modeled after, Cod, but are not on Flasher's fairwater -- nor very many others that I have observed. Some scraping with a #11 X-acto and I was feeling much better.

I also cut off all but one of the pressure proof lockers molded into the FW sides. Why they made the moldings part of the kit I'll never understand. During 5WP Flasher only had one large one under the forward 20mm platform starboard of the CL. The rest I shaved down or drilled out. Then I opened the large doors on the side. Now she's looking like a Gato!

To fill the new holes left by the pressure proof lockers I employed a trick learned from the pages of the SCR many moons ago. I found some suitable styrene stock of the FW wall thickness and punched out circular plugs to fill the holes. I found some brass tubing with the matching ID of the holes and cut a piece around 1" long. Then I filed one end until it was sharp enough to cleanly bite the plastic. Placing it on the stock I hit it with a hammer until it cut out some neat disc shapes. They fit the holes with minimal trimming. All it takes is some Tenax from the backside and the holes are gone requiring minimal putty.

Now if I can find my Nautilus Model's MBT flood template I can finish scribing the openings and doors I started back in 2007!
    Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
    <><
  • JWLaRue
    Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
    • Aug 1994

Re: 1/72 USS Flasher (SS-249)

Paul,

I like the wolfpack idea! Will make for some great photos when the four of you have a chance to run together.

...also, do I sense an upcoming SCR article? (or even series of articles) Hint...hint....

-Jeff
    Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• salmon
      Treasurer
      • Jul 2011

Paul,
      Way to go! I am excited to see what you do. If you find the flood hole template I would love to see it. I intend to build another, but with intent to model a single sub like you are doing.
      Thank you.
      Peace,
      Tom
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• PaulC
        Administrator
        • Feb 2003

Jeff, we certainly can article-wise. Sounds like fun.

Tom, thanks! I have an image of the template somewhere I'll post. What boat are you thinking about? Personally, I have to depict a particular boat -- sometimes to how it looked on a particular day. :^)
        Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
        <><

Comment

• scott t
          • Feb 2003

Looking forward to this build. What type WTC are you going to cram inside? Home-made, r-cabs, etc....?
          I have a revell gato I am putting holes in the bottom of. Maybe the SubRon5 wolf pack could use a USS Batfish SS 310?

Scott T

Comment

• PaulC
            Administrator
            • Feb 2003

Absolutely, Scott! Build that boat -- there's always room for more. Nautilus and IBS both have nice AM Balao fairwaters.

Haven't decided yet on the cylinder. I hear from BD that he's revamping his WTC line, including one for the Revell kit. Wish I could make SubRegatta to see them. Will definitely be talking to him about them.
            Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
            <><

Comment

• salmon
              Treasurer
              • Jul 2011

Paul,
              My current Gato is just a free for all on things I liked, but it was mainly to just learn. As it sits right now it can fit several subs. You are SO right on picking a particular day. Going through photos and videos, the variance is amazing. Constantly changes were made - that is a good thing for the subs, but harder on us trying to capture the moment. The next Gato will be USS Finback, USS Mingo, or USS Barb - Still narrowing it down.
              I have several subs lined up before I go back to the Gato - Moebius Skipjack (should be out in August) - will put D&E in that, Revell Type VII (I have both versions, so one of them will get picked) would like to put a BD system in that, I am looking at a smaller sub like Aluminaut, Then back to the Gato. All this is conjecture at the moment, heck, I have a tough time planning for tomorrow.
              I really am looking forward to your build and learning from you.
              Peace,
              Tom
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• JWLaRue
                • Aug 1994

I think someone should build either the USS Walrus or USS Eel.....

(free beer to the first one who identifies why I suggested these two boats....)

-Jeff
                Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• salmon
                  Treasurer
                  • Jul 2011

Because they were cancelled?

Comment

• JWLaRue
                    • Aug 1994

Nope.
                    Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• PaulC
                      Administrator
                      • Feb 2003

Because they were the "hero" boats of Beach's "Run Silent, Run Deep" -- which is required reading for this thread.

And that's a pretty cool idea, Jeff!

Tom, understood about the build schedule. Once you get one under your belt successfully all sorts of possibilities open up. I'm having a great time with this already. Kisler is probably furthest along as far as requisitioning goes. He'll start a thread at some point -- maybe we should post it all here and I can change the subject header?
                      Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
                      <><

Comment

• PaulC
                        Administrator
                        • Feb 2003

Tom, are you talking about the Aluminaut Rick Polumbo did? I was a big fan of the boat as a kid. Would love to see a bigger version available.

And why the Finback or Mingo as subjects? Barb is self evident.
                        Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
                        <><

Comment

• boomerfunker
                          SubCommittee Member
                          • Mar 2003

Don't get me wrong I love all of Beach's books. Could've done with less little lady back home stuff in "Cold is the Sea" though.

But anyway "Eel" "Walrus?"

Least inspiring fictitious fighting sub names EVER.

TomK

Comment

• boomerfunker
                            SubCommittee Member
                            • Mar 2003

Oh Yeah, Paul

And I think we SHOULD post all on one thread, that way someone can keep it active while the others are bent over their workbench. Porteous, you are never at a loss for words, what do you think?

TomK

Comment

• JWLaRue
                              • Aug 1994

Because they were the "hero" boats of Beach's "Run Silent, Run Deep" -- which is required reading for this thread.
                              Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

And I agree, "Run Silent, Run Deep" is a must for all fleet boat fans.

But anyway "Eel" "Walrus?" Least inspiring fictitious fighting sub names EVER.
                              Don't blame Capt. Beach. The US Navy built and named so many subs that all the "good" names have been used and I would offer that the good Captain didn't want to use the names of any real boats for the obvious reasons.

-Jeff
                              Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

Working...
                              X