• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PaulC
    Administrator
    • Feb 2003

1/72nd Revell Gato Wolfpack

I thought Eel worked but Walrus seemed too mammalian to me -- although Sealion always sounded legit. Go figure.

So here is what I'm working towards -- the middle version. The drawing is from William McCants' fine book "War Patrols of USS Flasher". He not only wrote it but illustrated it as well. You can see that the stock Gato would suffice for the as-built Flasher. But there is definitely some work to do for patrol 5. Alas I don't get to sport the heavy deck gun firepower either. No 40MM, twin 20MM or 5"gun for me.

I do have the luxury of looking at the real thing. Flasher's fairwater is on display as a memorial in Groton, CT. And seems to be very well looked after.
    Last edited by PaulC; 09-06-2021, 07:00 PM.
    Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
    <><

Comment

• JWLaRue
      Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
      • Aug 1994

Re: 1/72 USS Flasher (SS-249)

Paul,

Good choice. I tend to favor the look of the mid-war look for the Gatos too.....not that my opinion means anything in this case! LOL!

Maybe we should work to get of those who have one of these Revell kits squirreled away to join in a group build. There'd be one heck of a fleet running in the pond of we did!

-Jeff
      Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• PaulC
        Administrator
        • Feb 2003

Yes, I was looking for something with a different look. All of the successful Gato builds I've seen are stock. Which is ironic since no 1:1 Gato ever looked the same as its sisters. Its killing me that I'm locked into a measure 32 paint scheme. I'd love to go all black measure 9. Maybe if I get Flasher going well I can double down on a 1/72 Wahoo circa patrol 3. That would be unusual looking. Some day...

I'm open to anyone who wants to join in the fun. The more the merrier. I know there are a lot of kits out there waiting for someone to start work. When polled at Sun N Fun last year nearly every man in SubRon5 had a Revell kit at home that had not been started. Most everyone also had a WTC for their kit too. We need to dust off those boxes and start welding plastic!
        Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
        <><

Comment

• JWLaRue
          • Aug 1994

I think I'll need to talk with BD while at the regatta this weekend about a dive module. (yes, I too have one of these kits stashed away...)

A measure 9 boat would be my definite choice, not only because it seems like every fleet boat is done in some form of the other multi-gray and black Measures.....but because I think the all black is a much more menacing 'look'.

-Jeff
          Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• jefftytoo
            SubCommittee Member
            • Mar 2003

LaRue is absolutely right about Beach's boat name choices. I swear I read an interview with him at some point where he specifically explained exactly that...

And BTW, AYE would've won that name significance contest if only I didn't live in the Pacific Time Zone and get home from work so late! (Mm. Doesn't matter anyway: I'm not a beer drinker, and would've been forced to donate the suds to a worthy cause.)

Never at a loss for words, eh, Kisler? Well, I..I.. um. I'm, er... speechless. Yes, I think a mixed-boat renamed build thread sounds like a good idea, and I will eventually contribute. But Paul gets to do the actual SCR article -- I've still got several Seaview SCR installments to come up with first! Actually, Harder will probably have to be a Johnny-come-lately to the pack]Seaview[/i] work I MUST get through first!

I'm with ya, though, boys!

JeffP

Comment

• tom dougherty
              • Jul 2005

Everything you need to know about fleet boat modifications during the war: navsource.org/archives/08/pdf/0829294.pdf

MS9 black may be more menancing, but MS32 with light gray, dark gray, black & white limber holes was a very effective camouflage pattern.
              All black showed up against the horizon much more readily than the blended MS32. Tang had trouble spotting Sealion in MS32 at 500 yards.

Comment

• salmon
                Treasurer
                • Jul 2011

Tom, are you talking about the Aluminaut Rick Polumbo did? I was a big fan of the boat as a kid. Would love to see a bigger version available.

And why the Finback or Mingo as subjects? Barb is self evident.
                I am not worthy.....did not get the significance of the names. I am an unread ignoramus. If you guys will have mercy on this poor soul, I would like to remain on this thread.

Yes, I am talking about his Aluminaut. Cute and something to get my son into.

Finback - recovered a pilot, who became president - Texans should know this one.
                Mingo - Navsource has a couple of photos from her Feb. 2, 1944 refit - I just fell in love with the detail and the black paint scheme.
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• PaulC
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 2003

Tom, consider yourself under special RS,RD dispensation. But you definitely need to read it asap

Yes, I SHOULD remember Finback and her special contribution to history. Shame on me now!
                  Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
                  <><

Comment

• PaulC
                    Administrator
                    • Feb 2003

JeffL, what's the best way to alter the thread subject? Can I do that as originator -- do I need to edit each thread subject? Need some help on this one. We can call it "1/72 Revell Gato Wolfpack".
                    Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
                    <><

Comment

• jefftytoo
                      SubCommittee Member
                      • Mar 2003

Wow, Tom Dougherty! Absolutely AMAZING fleetboat mod research document! (Guys, see above.) You're so right: an essential .pdf for all Gato builders to download. Thanks so much for the head's up. Do you know its author, perchance? (Looks like something you or Jim Christley might've come up with!)

JeffP

Comment

• PaulC
                        Administrator
                        • Feb 2003

Jeff,

David L. Johnston wrote the piece that Tom posted. Really nice work -- would make a great article for the SCR.

Speaking of Tom, we were speaking about the fairwater deck in covered wagon (mod 4) configurations. As built, Gatos had a raised platform, a "booster deck", on the bridge that enabled watch standers to see over the spray shield. This is depicted in the stock Revell bridge deck. I wondered if when the bridge was cut down the booster deck was not removed as well. I found the following image of Cod that would indicate the booster deck was removed. I plan on doing the same with Flasher.

While there are many images available of the Flasher fairwater in Groton, I can't find any of the inside like this. If someone has some feel free to share.
                        Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
                        <><

Comment

• JWLaRue
                          • Aug 1994

Re: 1/72nd Revell Gato Wolfpack

JeffL, what's the best way to alter the thread subject? Can I do that as originator -- do I need to edit each thread subject? Need some help on this one. We can call it "1/72 Revell Gato Wolfpack".
                          ...like this?

It appears that each already posted reply does not automatically get the new title.

Any admin can rename a topic by editing the first post and modifying the title. I *think* anyone who originates a thread can do the same, but I'd have to try it with a non-priv'd account.

Let me do some research.....

-Jeff
                          Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• JWLaRue
                            • Aug 1994

Jeff,

David L. Johnston wrote the piece that Tom posted. Really nice work -- would make a great article for the SCR.
                            http://navsource.org/archives/08/pdf/0829294.pdf
                            Definitely a good idea.

How do we best go about getting his permission to republish his article?

-Jeff
                            Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• PaulC
                              Administrator
                              • Feb 2003

Thanks, JeffL! I almost didn't recognize the new name!

I suppose an email to navsource would be the first step.
                              Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
                              <><

Comment

• jefftytoo
                                SubCommittee Member
                                • Mar 2003

What I meant was, but obviously wasn't clear about, was did Tom D. personally KNOW the author of that fleetboat research, since it seemed like David Johnson might indeed be someone he WOULD know. Nevertheless, I strongly agree: let's see if we can get a reprint of this wonderful article in the SCR!

JeffP

Comment

Working...
                                X