• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boomerfunker
    SubCommittee Member
    • Mar 2003

Re: 1/72nd Revell Gato Wolfpack

Between Paul Crozier,detail oriented fleetboat expert, historian, and Flag Rank officer of the SC, and Jeff (Jeffty) Porteous, author of the meticulous and detailed build series of the eight windowed Seaview currently gracing the pages of our beloved SubComittee Report and Book column editor, I find the bar set pretty much about eyeball height on this build right out of the gate. So I know, my Trigger (SS-237), will only look better patrolling in company with Flasher (SS-249), and Harder (SS-257) someday out on the pond even if all I do is paint a liter soda bottle grey, scribble "SS-237" on its side in crayon, and pull it along with a string.

The first and most obvious bit of correction from the Revell Gato to my Trigger will be the correction of the limber hole pattern from the EB pattern to the Mare Island one. Most people hate drilling and filing out all the flood holes and such but I kind dig it. It's a simple straight forward and though tedious, a job that if done right can really make the model but that if done sloppily will be the first thing people will see. I have a template on order from Nautilus Models for the conversion.

Speaking of Nautilus Models I previously ordered a resin sail from them purporting to be an accurate representation of a late war Silversides (SS-236) or Trigger. It is beautifully rendered, highly detailed, and comes with a bunch of parts to accurize the Revell kit for either vessel. Out of the box its a great representation of Silversides but upon further review it's going to need some surgery and modification to represent accurately the Trigger. The front and bridge area of the resin kit are great with the odd and perhaps unique squareish forward 20mm platform included plus cylinders and other bits meant only for Trigger. Its the aft end of the sail that is, well, wrong.

Silversides tapers to a point some distance behind the 40mm gun with the diesel exhaust grill at the far tip. Trigger's aft sail is much more like the Gato kit, very rounded, terminating just aft of the 40mm railing with the diesel exhausting under the gun. A notable difference. Silversides and two Trigger shots below.

Something has to be done. Right now I'm thinking to borrow the back end of the kit sail and graft it to the resin piece. I'm thinking I should also go to the trouble of making a cast of it first in case I need to make a go or two of it but haven't decided yet. Ideas? Here's a shot of the respective sails.

By the way I'm not dissin' Nautilus Models in the least. The bridge area is super fantastic with molded in decking, hatches and doors, and all the bridge instrumentation crisply detailed. I plan more purchases from them but do check references for your particular boat in case you need to figure out some work-arounds.

And sure, like Paul says, this is an open thread jump in with your own in-progress build. Hopefully we'll see a whole flotilla out there the day the wolfpack departs for the Bungo Suido and glory.

TomK

Comment

• wlambing
      SubCommittee Member
      • Feb 2003

Tom,

Those holes in the sail's aft end are an aid to Main Induction intake. The main Induction valve is under the 40 mm and the ready service lockers are stuffed on either side and above it. The holes helped air get in, and out when diving. I'm eventually doing Silversides in 1/48.

Good luck with your build!!!

B^)

Comment

• boomerfunker
        SubCommittee Member
        • Mar 2003

You are right of course...

I was apparently unconsciously thinking about my old boat. The diesel exhausts from slots on the aft end of the sail on the Ohios.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'd love to do one in a larger scale too.
        TomK

Comment

• jefftytoo
          SubCommittee Member
          • Mar 2003

Bill (and Tom),

A very nice guy I met at the Carmel Regatta a few years back by the name of Jim Schwinkendorf did a quite impressive Silversides in 1/48. Not sure if it began life as an Engel Gato or Scale Shipyard hull. Also not sure if he's still a member, but I have his old phone number and e-mail address if you're interested in getting in touch to check up on his research and methods.

JeffP

Comment

• jefftytoo
            SubCommittee Member
            • Mar 2003

And BTW, Tom, you're way too kind with the compliments, at least in my case.

JeffP

Comment

• PaulC
              Administrator
              • Feb 2003

Thanks for the kind words, Tom. We're nothing without each other on this project. I'm amazed at what you've found regarding Trigger. I did not know about her rounded aft fairwater. One issue I have thought about is Harder had a full wooden deck and I believe Trigger may have had more wood than is on the kit deck as well. Speaking of Silversides, she had a metal deck aft and a wooden deck all the way forward. Very unusual in my opinion.
              Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
              <><

Comment

• wlambing
                SubCommittee Member
                • Feb 2003

Just for grins, I went and bought me one this morning! I think I missed the aroma of plastic cement!

B^)

Comment

• PaulC
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 2003

Welcome aboard, Bill! You got a particular subject in mind?
                  Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
                  <><

Comment

• pirate
                    • Oct 2005

I've got a kit I'm getting ready to start. Will have to research and pick a boat since I have no knowledge of actual specific fleetboats. But the tri-colored paint scheme Tom Dougherty mentioned sounds intriguing to me. Would love to join the fleet.

Pete

Comment

• PaulC
                      Administrator
                      • Feb 2003

Welcome aboard, Pete! The more the merrier.
                      Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
                      <><

Comment

• JWLaRue
                        Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
                        • Aug 1994

After a conversation with BD at the regatta about his soon-to-be-upgraded dive module....I think I need to join in the fun here.

Time to pick a boat!

-Jeff
                        Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• wlambing
                          SubCommittee Member
                          • Feb 2003

Got nothing particular in mind. I'll leave the big girl to become Silversides. This'n will get to be different!

B^)

Comment

• boomerfunker
                            SubCommittee Member
                            • Mar 2003

Looks like we're headed toward squadron strength!

I hope we are based out of Fremantle of Brisbane when we commission. My crew is likely to be a bunch of liberty hounds so the Aussie's had better hide all their 1/72nd scale women and beer.

Comment

• PaulC
                              Administrator
                              • Feb 2003

Super, Jeff! Welcome aboard.
                              Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
                              <><

Comment

• jefftytoo
                                SubCommittee Member