X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bob_eissler
    SubCommittee Member
    • Aug 2005

The wide cut that Merriman used originally was when they had a 3" sub-driver. It is not necessary with the current 2 1/2" sub-driver they have for the Gato now.

Comment

• jefftytoo
      SubCommittee Member
      • Mar 2003

Thanks, Bob. I believe Mr. Merriman advocates the “equator” (my term) hull split for the Gato—regardless of size of planned internals—simply so one can fit his fingers in there. Noble reasoning. I, however, am planning the deck-removal-only approach favored by George P., Big Dave and others, so am treading softly on this new-to-me real estate.
      Last edited by jefftytoo; 10-11-2019, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• jefftytoo
        SubCommittee Member
        • Mar 2003

Sorry for the long hiatus; I’m way overdue to get back to this build. Hope to finally make significant progress over the coming weeks. Been thinking a lot about my approach, trying to plan a path back into the build through some comfortable items first, inspiring further progress through a feeling of accomplishment.

For starters, I’ll note that I stupidly dished in my very carefully installed anchor locker flood holes—aftermarket PE parts—while manhandling the bow section awhile back. I tried to bump them back out from inside but found the results unsatisfactory, so ordered new parts (an expensive lesson in clumsiness) and reinstalled them the other day to much better result. Still not perfect (I botched some hole drilling), but overall they look pretty good and are even aligned properly this time which they hadn’t been earlier. Here they are after a shot of primer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4956.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	134011

Somehow, somewhere, ages ago I managed to acquire more than one set of resin aftermarket upgrade/conversion parts for this boat. Sure, one is Mr. Merriman’s popular and versatile set, but the other is either a later iteration from Mr. Merriman, alternate/spare parts also from him which came along as valuable extra baggage with his first set, or indeed parts from some other supplier altogether—I really don’t remember which at this point. Regardless, I wound up with a set of stern planes which though Plain Jane in finish are already made up to an attached, functional bellcrank in the middle. I further have a set of separate unmounted stern planes featuring wide, longitudinal cosmetic weld line (stripes) on them, top and bottom. Since I like the look of these, and since their maker had obviously run across reference material showing these specific weld lines on some boat’s stern planes, I elected to reproduce them on the plain, pre-bellcranked ones using the tried-and-true Tom Chalfant-promoted baking powder and CA method, which I’m getting better at with practice (and actually works pretty well). Here they are with a shot of primer. The same shot shows the aftermarket rudder I’ll be using—certainly originating from the same maker as the other detailed control surface parts mentioned above. It's the clear choice for my boat, being far superior (I think) to the kit’s rudder. Just look at it... By the way, those stern plane weld lines look really prominent here—too prominent. I may have to knock them back a bit.

Name:	IMG_4966.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	134012

Turns out I had a choice with the bow planes too: the kit’s planes, of course, or a set of aftermarket ones which were a little too thin, warped, and rough for my taste. They also featured a weld line pattern which I’m sure must’ve been created from reference material of some boat somewhere, but which was unfamiliar to me—given on my own reference shots taken of Silversides’ bow planes, referred to earlier in this thread. Here's what I'm talking about:

Name:	IMG_4957.jpg
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	134013

I see I'm already out of photo memory here, so will start a followup post below...

Jeff
        Attached Files
        Last edited by jefftytoo; 03-12-2020, 01:03 AM.

Comment

• jefftytoo
          SubCommittee Member
          • Mar 2003

Continuing from above...

I elected to go with the kit’s heftier (if plain) planes, then added my own weld lines mimicking the Silversides pattern as others have done (also noted earlier in the thread). I also slightly reshaped their inboard edges to more closely match the shape of Silversides’ planes too. First, a shot of one's in-progress masking for weld lines. Then another of them later, unassembled and shot with primer. At least one needs a touch up of a little more weld line.

Name:	IMG_4958.jpg
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	134014

Name:	IMG_4964.jpg
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	134015

I’ve chosen to use the kit’s horizontal struts rather than the aftermarket ones I got along with the planes (good backups though) because I like how they clip together inside the hull. I probably didn’t need to, but have already clipped off their plastic axle nubs and drilled them through to accept brass rod instead for greater strength. Second shot shows said rods glued into the struts. The last shot shows the nice white metal angled bow plane struts provided by Mr. Merriman. Here they have just been pickled using his often recommended method.

Name:	IMG_4967.jpg
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	134016

Name:	IMG_4968.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	134017

Name:	IMG_4969.jpg
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	134018

That’s all for now. My near-term plans (coming days and weeks) for this build:

- Install aft control surfaces
          - Complete and install bow planes
          - Open up the hull to accept the WTC
          - Install aftermarket PE deck atop the kit’s deck (which will probably involve removing a lot of plastic)

Thanks for checking this out. Hope to post again soon!

Best,
          Jeff
          Last edited by jefftytoo; 03-12-2020, 01:08 AM.

Comment

• salmon
            Treasurer
            • Jul 2011

Jeff, you inspire m e. I REALLY like the added weld lines!.
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• jefftytoo
              SubCommittee Member
              • Mar 2003

Thanks much, ol’ buddy. I’m excited to finally be back on this build and determined to make appreciable progress again. Life has sorta been getting away from me on multiple fronts lately, so it would be very satisfying to see my part of the legendary Ghosts’ Glory Wolfpack getting back on track...

Comment

• scott t
                • Feb 2003

Comment

• jefftytoo
                  SubCommittee Member
                  • Mar 2003

Halp! Somebody STOP me! Turns out I liked the weld lines added to my bow planes so much that I just spent a lot of time also putting on representations of the leading and trailing edge welded reinforcements also shown on that photo of Silversides’ planes. As always, some turned out better than others and they don’t stand up to very close scrutiny, but from a distance they bring a lot more scale presence—just as those over-scale weld lines do. Remember, I’m the guy who plans to add a lot of photoetch stuff to the deck—the more detail the better.

Jeff

Name:	D7D2EC2D-3209-4515-AB27-84B1637B44A6.jpg
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	134025!

Comment

• jefftytoo
                    SubCommittee Member
                    • Mar 2003

Completed bow planes. Actually greased the main strut “axle” nubs to make sure no liquid glue could seep in and freeze the joints.

Name:	BEF54E4E-C64C-42C1-803C-F677C26E454A.jpg
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	134026

Also opened up/extended those two specific superstructure holes—a lá Mr. Merriman—which assure proper travel for the planes’ retract struts. Turned out well. A test fit will determine if they’ll require additional extension.

Name:	0C1B077A-B020-4F6B-87F5-BF1C9D655995.jpg
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	134027

Jeff

Comment

• PaulC
                      Administrator
                      • Feb 2003

Looks good, Jeff. You will have to lengthen the hole for the strut to allow complete travel for the retract. At least I did.
                      Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
                      <><

Comment

• jefftytoo
                        SubCommittee Member
                        • Mar 2003

You’re right, of course, Paul. First test proved it—so I extended them some more tonight. Still tinkering. Really like that Mr. Merriman’s retract mechanism is essentially the same design as that of the 1:1 boats.

Jeff

Comment

• boomerfunker
                          SubCommittee Member
                          • Mar 2003

Nice Jeffty, inspiring as always. I, as you know, recently got my new hobby room in order and should shortly be back in the yards on my own boat. It's been literal years now, so the first part is figuring out just what the *heck two years ago Tom was even thinking. Did he document? No. Is he a mariners hazard to navigation? Yes. Anyhow keep it up skipper, dare I say Commodore Jeffty?
                          TomK

Comment

• jefftytoo
                            SubCommittee Member
                            • Mar 2003

Tom, many thanks, you old fool. Was so happy to see the shot of the workshop coming together. Struggled with Harder today: that aftermarket rudder is giving me all kinds of fitting grief, but I’m slowly bending it to my will. Meanwhile, I now have installed bow planes, thanks to Mr. Merriman’s parts and methodology. More pix soon.

Comment

• jefftytoo
                              SubCommittee Member
                              • Mar 2003

Voilá! Functioning bow planes. Some progress on rudder and stern planes too. Also starting in on prop shaft installation... Jeff

Name:	90B8D073-3E1D-4636-892F-55569A2EFC89.jpg
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	134047

Comment

• eckloss
                                SubCommittee Member
                                • Nov 2003

Looking really good!

Comment

Working...