X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ober freak
    • Jan 2014

Re: 1/72nd Revell Gato Wolfpack

I glued the propgaurds into their positions and cut them of afterwards to fill the cavities.

Comment

• thor
      SubCommittee Member
      • Feb 2009

That is a GREAT idea and really shows the value of a specific group like this sharing tips with each other like this one! Super!

Matt
      Regards,

Matt

Comment

• jefftytoo
        SubCommittee Member
        • Mar 2003

True. Excellent idea. Wish I'd thought of that.

JeffP

Comment

• boomerfunker
          SubCommittee Member
          • Mar 2003

Ok, my brain just exploded. It's so obvious when you say it...

Great idea Ober and in my case fortunately, timely.

TomK

Comment

• boomerfunker
            SubCommittee Member
            • Mar 2003

Finally able to sit down and begin work on making replacement pieces to correct the superstructure hull flood inaccuracies from the kit to the Mare Island Pattern. Wahoo, Trigger and fortunately for me, Silversides have this pattern as sister boats coming out of the same yard mere weeks apart. I say 'fortunately' because as a sister to Wahoo and Trigger, Silversides has the distinct advantage of still existing.

So I'm splitting the difference of what Silversides LOOKS like and what the plans I have available SAY the dimensions of these floods are. So far that mostly involves the double row of full sized and narrow hole pairs at the front area of the bow on both sides. Best measurements and best looks indicate this for that that area.

Note the SS numbers indicating these plans are more about Balao boats than Gatos (specifically Pampanito in this case)
            but I have to think that main hole dimension would be a wartime standard at 22" long.

Giving this so far in SketchUp][/url]

Still learning this program but with the exception of that part of the bottom row as it angles up and disappears, I can just cut and paste the rest of the way down the hull following the pattern Silversides is wearing today. It won't be perfect but hopefully a lot more accurate looking in the end.

TomK

Comment

• PaulC
              Administrator
              • Feb 2003

Looking good, Tom!
              Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
              <><

Comment

• ssn705
                • Sep 2013

I suspect that there is some pretty awesome progress being made over the holidays...come on, anyone got a Christmas treat to post for progress?

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

• boomerfunker
                  SubCommittee Member
                  • Mar 2003

I wish I had something to report.

Instead I have been wasting my off time with the first seriously cool and polished sub sim app that I just discovered. It is called "Crash Dive" and it looks as though it is available for both android and Mac devices. Think "Aces of the Deep" or "Silent Hunter" but dumbed down a bit to work on a tablet. Great graphics too.

I'll be getting back to work on Trigger after the 1st at this point.

Comment

• wlambing
                    SubCommittee Member
                    • Feb 2003

Anybody ever find a "plug-'n-play" anchor for these things? I've got a couple that are close, but not quite there. The Bluejacket one has incorrectly shaped flukes. The others are either too big, or too small to correctly lie into the bolster. In the meantime, I've started back into the Dave Welch innards. A good way to spend the holiday shutdown at EB!

Happy New Year to all!

B^)

Comment

• ober freak
                      • Jan 2014

Ahoy folks,

there was also some progress in my yard.
                      But to start with the armament and detail sets i got from WEM shortly before they stopped business.

The stern halves where glued and puttied. The prop shaft A-frames and protrusions where installed. And some minor detailing went on.

Comment

• ober freak
                        • Jan 2014

In the next batch the stern was joined with the rest of the hull. The stern planes are roughly done. And finally the last missing areas on the deck where filled and its locking magnets are installed.

So far from my yard.

Cheers Marco.

Comment

• scott t
                          • Feb 2003

Great work Marco!

ScottT

Comment

• boomerfunker
                            SubCommittee Member
                            • Mar 2003

Self from future bursts into room with a loud flash and pop.
                            "What year is it?" he says

Me "What year is it?"

"Yes damn you, what YEAR is it?!"

"Why, it's 2015, everyone knows that."

"Thank God! There's still time for you to finish the build before...." (fades out with a pop)

Hi. Not dead. Thanks.
                            Been recently doing some more work on the conning tower of my Trigger Back at it.

First I took a good look at all my various ready lockers and well, they were okay but I decided the kit parts were superior in this case. Well the caps anyways.
                            I took the kit caps and made tubes from plastic tube, resin pieces also shown.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150521_111137.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	127678

Going to the front with the big ready lockers that are built into the structure I was again a little disappointed. Some posts are molded into the Nautilus models resin piece and the instructions are to use the kit caps on these for Silversides or Trigger. Well in the first place the posts are too small for the kit part and the kit caps are of a noticeably bigger diameter when all should be flush. Second the pattern is wrong for my Trigger and the current configuration of Silversides. So I had to scratch two new smaller ones in the right pattern.

Name:	IMG_20150525_103206~01.jpg
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	127679Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150525_103719~01~01.jpg
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	127680

Oh, here is Silversides. It seems to have one of each pattern these days. Trigger had the parallel kind versus the triangle kind (Note the not at all silly foghorn).

Name:	SSlockers.jpg
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	127682

I wanted to cast my caps into a more solid resin part and or to share with those in need. I tried casting at one atmosphere (on the bench) but kept getting bubbles and missing details. I had recently bought a painting pressure pot from the Goodwill for $10.00 and this was the impetus to finally try casting under pressure. The parts to convert it from painting to pressure were minimal and I have to tell you the results were outstanding, first try. The handles, hinges, and all the other detail were all there. I'm a believer and it is so simple to add to your casting regimen.

Name:	IMG_20150607_142816.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	127681

Lastly up front here there is the foghorn and gun deck supports. Most references of other boats show only the bell of the foghorn exposed but for some reason Trigger had the whole thing out in the air/water. Frankly it looks a little silly out there but refs are refs. The bell extends all the ways out to the deck gun edge.

Name:	triglockers.JPG
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	127683Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150614_153436.jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	127684Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150614_153700.jpg
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	127685

Next the ready lockers and all things down both sides of the CT will be placed, hopefully THIS year. Sheesh.

Comment

• PaulC
                              Administrator
                              • Feb 2003

Great to see one of us getting some work done on these projects. With the forum change, etc. finally setting down I've actually thought about revisiting my old gal. Will advise if it happens. Which stanchions are you using for the forward rail? The whole platform setup looks really nice.
                              Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
                              <><

Comment

• salmon
                                Treasurer
                                • Jul 2011

You guys have been an inspiration for me on what I would like to do when I build my second Gato.
                                It was posted that Revell may re-release the Gato kit again (yeah and doing happy dance), so I look forward to seeing more being built!
                                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...
                                X