Views:	1
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	129774

Comment

• JWLaRue
        Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
        • Aug 1994

JeffP,

Did you upload them or are the photos being access directly from your Mac? Perhaps we can add a quick tutorial to our next SCR Index call?

-JeffL

p.s. Hey! Don't blame the SCR for lack of time. I still manage to get boat building done.
        Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• jefftytoo
          SubCommittee Member
          • Mar 2003

A tutorial sounds like a plan. Still, when I go to post, the forum software does give me "computer" as a photo access source, and it does say it uploads when I click through. It always used to work fine this way. No idea what's going on with it now. WOULD obviously like to be able to post photos moving forward...

Comment

• jefftytoo
            SubCommittee Member
            • Mar 2003

Um, anyway, the point I was (unsuccessfully) trying to make somewhere above is, does it make sense that photos taken during an overhaul would show one paint scheme, where near-future shots taken just post-overhaul display something else? Is painting always the final task accomplished during major yard work? And would photos of this not necessarily be taken -- or deliberately avoided? Bill Lambing (or other SubVets), your thoughts?

Comment

• wlambing
              SubCommittee Member
              • Feb 2003

Jeff,

Yes, the paint job is typically one of the last things done. However, she may not have received her camo at the yard! It may have been done at a base stop somewhere along the way to, or even at her new homeport! As for the shear plating, there may just be a confusion of thought by whomever did the photo captioning. By '44, they where definitely pull all that off.

(notice the big word; "whomever", for me, on a Monday, that's pretty good!! )

I'm getting back into my Mini-Gato, too! You are not alone!!

B^)

Comment

• jefftytoo
                SubCommittee Member
                • Mar 2003

Bill,

Must admit I hadn't thought of that. Duh! Many thanks! Harder's overhaul was at MI, and she transited Pearl on her way to her Fourth. Must've picked up her camo there!

JeffP

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
                  • Oct 2012

Final painting is usually done before the scaffolding is taken down.
                  Scaffolding is removed after all the outside repairs and work is completed.

While the scaffolding is up, sand blasting is done then painting.

Comment

• PaulC
                    Administrator
                    • Feb 2003

Jeff, I can give you a personal tutorial if necessary on the images. If the file is too big it might not be uploading all the way. Need to see how you were trying to do it though.

I concur regarding the measure 32 off Woleai. And you won't need the "chin" mods, as you call them, forward of the dive planes as Harder was an EB boat. The stock kit look is just fine in that regard.
                    Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
                    <><

Comment

• jefftytoo
                      SubCommittee Member
                      • Mar 2003

Paul,

Not to doubt, but are you sure the EB boats didn't have those keel "chin" floods? Cod was an EB, and she appears to have them here. Perhaps she was a rare exception, or maybe this was a postwar mod?
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2104.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	129775

Comment

• jefftytoo
                        SubCommittee Member
                        • Mar 2003

And of course, now it appears sideways, because it's a phone shot. Sheesh!
                        Attached Files

Comment

• salmon
                          Treasurer
                          • Jul 2011

Here is the Cod on the initial launching, I do not see the bow holes in her.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	0822428.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	129777
                          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• jefftytoo
                            SubCommittee Member
                            • Mar 2003

Perhaps the shot I posted is misidentified; a different boat despite the caption...

Comment

• wlambing
                              SubCommittee Member
                              • Feb 2003

In the launching view you can't see the chain laocker drains as they are tucked up in the curve of the hull, and partially covered by the first launching cradle on the skid. You can just barely see the big holes above the TTs, along the upper edge of the lower bunting. Definitely not a good shot to glean info from!

B^)

Comment

• salmon
                                Treasurer
                                • Jul 2011

Bill,
                                You are right about not a good shot, however we use what we can get. Here is the direct link from NavSource: http://navsource.org/archives/08/228/0822428.jpg
                                I am squinting and turning my head and I think I can make out some holes, but very inconclusive. So, I stand corrected Jeff. Build your sub whatever way you want. Just build it!
                                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...
                                X