• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wlambing
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

Tom,
    That's my way of thinking, especially on these old war-wagons! Build it, have fun, with it, be happy!

B^)

Comment

• PaulC
      Administrator
      • Feb 2003

I was confused, Jeff. I thought by "chin" you meant the mods to the superstructure forward of the bow plane wells that Tom and I did for the Portsmouth plans. The chain locker drains, shown in your most recent image and positively identified by Bill earlier in this thread, and confirmed here again, should indeed be there on Harder.
      Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
      <><

Comment

• PaulC
        Administrator
        • Feb 2003

Look at the guy riding the bow in the image. Is he having fun or what?

Originally posted by salmon View Post
        Here is the Cod on the initial launching, I do not see the bow holes in her.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]3304[/ATTACH]
        Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
        <><

Comment

• wlambing
          SubCommittee Member
          • Feb 2003

Paul,

They are there, but we can't see them. The holes are small and on a curve in the lower hull, as you know. You won't see them in the launch photo as they are hidden from view by the angle. With this low angle, almost parallel, they are hidden. If you increased the angle on the bow (becoming more perpendicular) you would see them down there. They might not be the full pattern shown in earlier pictures in this thread, so that could make them harder to see, also. I have a drawing for a boat with many fewer holes than shown in those pictures. Still drains, but not as quickly. B^)

Comment

• PaulC
            Administrator
            • Feb 2003

Makes sense to me, Bill.
            Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
            <><

Comment

• jefftytoo
              SubCommittee Member
              • Mar 2003

It's settled then. I'll do those holes. I think they really look cool and authentic and "of the era" -- and, dadgummit, actually kinda fun to install...though I may be proven wrong about that.

A package arrived from Shapeway today: my perfect little 20mm's on their correct tripod-type mounts...and with Harder blast shields already in place! Photos another time. (I'm home quite sick at the moment.) My intent is to beef them up a bit with some PE parts to make them more robust. It may take them out of scale a little, but they shouldn't break as easily.

Green Board, gang,
              JeffP

Comment

• scott t
                • Feb 2003

Jeff, An idea for installing the holes is to print dot pattern on a sheet of paper. Then cut a piece of plastic milk carton
                and tape the paper to it. Drill the printed dots into the plastic on a flat surface. Then use the plastic template to tape to
                the hull to guide your drill bit. Use for both sides.

Comment

• jefftytoo
                  SubCommittee Member
                  • Mar 2003

Indeed a good idea, Scott, but I have the same PE hole pattern Paul and Tom have, and can use that as my drilling template. Actually, unlike what they did, I was contemplating trying to fair the actual PE pieces into the hull itself, with the area behind it/them opened up to receive it/them. We'll see; and I'll need to practice the process on some scrap styrene first, to see if I can achieve a clean enough look.

Can't do anything at the moment though -- far too sick. Sure could use a harmonica serenade (you shall forever be associated with that hyper-fun moment aboard Batfish, my friend!).

Comment

• JWLaRue
                    Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
                    • Aug 1994

JeffP,

I did the PE faired into a conning tower for my Type II build. It was one of those large amount of very tiny holes...and this in 1/32nd scale! Well worth the effort.

-JeffL
                    Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• jefftytoo
                      SubCommittee Member
                      • Mar 2003

Will do, JeffL.

Just tried to post a video link to Vimeo (the format of which the forum says is supported) of Scott T's claim to fame, mentioned above, but of course it's not working. SO damned frustrating!

Comment

• jefftytoo
                        SubCommittee Member
                        • Mar 2003

Last edited by PaulC; 02-03-2017, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• jefftytoo
                          SubCommittee Member
                          • Mar 2003

Oh-KAY! Apparently the forum likes YouTube better!

Enjoy, guys -- and thanks again, Scott! What a great memory...

JeffP

Comment

• salmon
                            Treasurer
                            • Jul 2011

I am curious now, I looked through the plans I have, but none show the chain locker drain. Would someone be willing to share with me what they have?
                            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• scott t
                              • Feb 2003

Thanks Jeff. I did not know that video existed.

Comment

• jefftytoo
                                SubCommittee Member
                                • Mar 2003

Wish it had been the whole song, buddy, but you pulled it on us as a total surprise so I wasn't ready to shoot!

Comment

Working...
                                X