X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigdave
    • Feb 2003

Hey CI
    When you say you have no RC gear do you mean the whole enchilada? (SHIP-now I am hungry)lol
    Or just RX? Do you in fact have room for the gear?
    Just curious. Hopefully you will be bringing the FS1 for show&tell even if is not ready.
    Hopefully you will pull one of your miracle overnight last minute finishes.
    I will have my FS1 with the new BD jet pumps.
    BTW
    I enjoyed reading you scientific dissertation of water ingress into the FS1 Hull.
    Quite riveting. Had me on the edge of my seat.
    I am glad you proved the openings you provided would be sufficient.
    I guess I was concerned about enough H20 with the use of my fire monitors as someone put it.
    Remember my brushless attempt?
    I could send two jets of water 1/2 way across the Y pool. Lol
    That was totally uncontrollable.
    See you Sunday my friend.
    O! BTW How is your build Paul? BD
    sigpic"Eat your pudding Mr Land"
    "I ain't sure it's pudden" 20K

Comment

• crazy ivan
      SubCommittee Member
      • Feb 2003

I have everything I need, I just hadn't installed it yet.
      sigpic
      "There are the assassins, the dealers in death. I am the Avenger!" - Captain Nemo

-George Protchenko

Comment

• PaulC
        Administrator
        • Feb 2003

Working on the cockpit pieces. Painting seats, etc. Haven't done that in a looooong time. Will try to get some pics up for fun.
        Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
        <><

Comment

• PaulC
          Administrator
          • Feb 2003

Sorry, no pics of the seats (completely forgot). Next time.

I do have a few shots of progress with opening up the docking collar/annular intake ring between the strakes and also opening up the bow vents beside the running lights. Used my trusty Dremel for the heavy lifting, cleaning up with an X-acto 11 blade. For the vents I drilled holes through the opening so I would have an outline on the back side as a guide. Used a metal ball shaped grinding bit to shave the back down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	drain1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	128452

Also got the bow faceplate/window piece glued down. Mated everything up with the hull halves taped together than ran the cohesive down the seam. It wicked in and fused the parts together.

Name:	drain2.jpg
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	128453
          Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
          <><

Comment

• bigdave
            • Feb 2003

Well true to his word CI did reveal all at the Buffalo model boat meet.
            Although he was able to get the FS1 finished, he needed a few tweaks and ballasting to get her in the water.
            So he is hopping for this Sunday at the Y for testing. He asked me not to reveal all his secrets until he has it working.
            But I can tell you some of his designs blew me away.
            Well done Sir! BD

Comment

• PaulC
              Administrator
              • Feb 2003

I'm looking forward to the big reveal.
              Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
              <><

Comment

• crazy ivan
                SubCommittee Member
                • Feb 2003

Here's a teaser.
                Attached Files
                sigpic
                "There are the assassins, the dealers in death. I am the Avenger!" - Captain Nemo

-George Protchenko

Comment

• PaulC
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 2003

So, CI, are you vectoring the flow with a stern plane in the tube prior to the stock exit? More pics pweeeze.
                  Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
                  <><

Comment

• PaulC
                    Administrator
                    • Feb 2003

To occupy my mind while waiting for CI's full revelation this weekend, I went out to the shop and ground some more plastic. You can see here the pattern the drill made on the back side of the second grill/vent. I used it as a guide for the Dremel.

Name:	drain3.jpg
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	128462

I also completed opening up the annular intake/docking collar. Should help feed those thirsty pumps.

Name:	drain4.jpg
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	128463

The bow grills in place. Looks pretty spiffy now that you can see through them.

Name:	drain5.jpg
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	128464

As promised, an in-progress shot of the cockpit. I drilled out the two outboard pins (not seen) on the deck piece. I plan to use some stainless 4-40 X 1/4 button head sockets to secure it to the lower hull.

Name:	cockpit1.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	128465
                    Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
                    <><

Comment

• bigdave
                      • Feb 2003

Originally posted by PaulC View Post
                      So, CI, are you vectoring the flow with a stern plane in the tube prior to the stock exit? More pics pweeeze.
                      Well,if you really must know he is using---- Woops the men in black are here, have to run! BD

BTW CI. Why do you have salt & pepper marked on your nozzles?

Comment

• crazy ivan
                        SubCommittee Member
                        • Feb 2003

Originally posted by bigdave View Post
                        Well,if you really must know he is using---- Woops the men in black are here, have to run! BD

BTW CI. Why do you have salt & pepper marked on your nozzles?
                        Port vs starboard? They are not exactly interchangeable. One would not want to mistake one for the other, now would one. That goes for nozzles as well as seasonings.
                        sigpic

-George Protchenko

Comment

• crazy ivan
                          SubCommittee Member
                          • Feb 2003

Originally posted by PaulC View Post

Yes. The nozzles are not from the kit. They are clones made from pvc plumbing fittings (3/4" to 1/2" reducers). The internal vanes are not fixed in place like the ones in the kit. Rather, they are made to swivel up and down, controlled by the external arm. This deflects a small portion of the stream, but BD assures me it doesn't take much to affect the pitch. We will see.
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic

-George Protchenko

Comment

• crazy ivan
                            SubCommittee Member
                            • Feb 2003

A word about the annular docking assemblies.

I did glue the lower docking assembly in place. Not so with the upper one. The instructions show how to make the upper assembly removable for viewing the insides. This inspired me to take it a step further. I cut the two rear tabs in half. I made two corresponding notches in the rim of the large hole in the upper hull, such that when the docking assembly is rotated several degrees off center, the remaining half tabs will drop in clear of the rim. Whew! The pix's should show it better than I can explain it.

The front tab is left whole, but a slot is cut in the side to form a hook. This engages the pin under the rim. See the pix. Two protruding screw heads on the underside of the docking assembly engage slots connected to the lower hull. They are located in the green fiberglass strap, visible thrugh the top hole.

So... you put the hull halves together. You slip the front tab under the rim of the hole, slightly left of center. You drop the rear tabs into place, and rotate the whole assembly to the right and the hook tab snaps into place. The docking assembly will now be properly aligned, and the hull halves are locked together. Sounds a lot more complicated than it is, really. I should probably have done a video.

More to come.... after Sunday's run.
                            Attached Files
                            sigpic

-George Protchenko

Comment

• PaulC
                              Administrator
                              • Feb 2003

BOOM! Great solutions, George.

I'll be eager to see how your nozzle mods work. What a great scale treatment of the problem. Trimmed to decks awash, I'm thinking it will be plenty of force to affect attitude change. If nothing else, you could always enlarge the horizontal vane on the back side if necessary.

I totally get your docking ring mod. Ingenious! If that is all that's holding the hull halves together, do you have any issues with gaps on the outer edges of the airfoil?
                              Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
                              <><

Comment

• crazy ivan
                                SubCommittee Member
                                • Feb 2003

Yep, there are definately seam issues. The hull seems to flex a lot from all the weight I have inside. Tight internal space makes getting a good fit tricky too. My plan is to add some G-10 stiffeners across the bottom when I have more time. Probably some rare earth magnets in the fore and aft corners too. That is where it tries to separate the most. But for now I can live with it until sea trials are done.
                                sigpic

-George Protchenko

Comment

Working...
                                X