X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salmon
    Treasurer
    • Jul 2011

Here is the lower hull sanded to remove the nubs.
    For the most part it came out good, a little Nitro-Stan and wet sanding will be the final touch to clean it up.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Revell Type IX_062.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	127860
    Began to mark air escape routes and to remove some weight from the Turm.

Name:	Revell Type IX_063.jpg
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	127861Click image for larger version

Name:	Revell Type IX_064.jpg
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	127862
    More to remove

Name:	Revell Type IX_065.jpg
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	127863
    Here there is an area that will block the flow, flipped over the piece and marked more areas to cut out.

Name:	Revell Type IX_066.jpg
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	127864Click image for larger version

Name:	Revell Type IX_067.jpg
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	127865
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• salmon
      Treasurer
      • Jul 2011

Continuing to work my way around the decks looking for areas that might trap air and thinking about how air will come out.

Name:	Revell Type IX_068.jpg
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	127866
      Marking more areas......I think I am obsessing

Name:	Revell Type IX_069.jpg
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	127867
      Still more? AAAAAArrrggh

Name:	Revell Type IX_070.jpg
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	127868
      O.K. areas cut out and here is what it looks like.

Name:	Revell Type IX_071.jpg
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	127869
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• PaulC
        Administrator
        • Feb 2003

Hey, obsessing now increases performance later. You can quote me on that.
        Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
        <><

Comment

• salmon
          Treasurer
          • Jul 2011

Paul,
          I agree with you completely, the performance will tell. There are other I trimmed areas I will show. I do not know if it makes a difference, but if the sub works than of course it was designed to do that!
          I unfortunately did not have any primer so that photo will come later. That being said, I will go for a light color primer. In the coming photos, i will explain why.

So continuing on seams and such, I applied Nitro-Stan that was thinned down with a bit of lacquer thinner. The thinned property seemed to have a little leveling quality.

Name:	Revell Type IX_072.jpg
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	127885
          A little wet sanding and the finish came out well, I think, but when primer is applied that is when the real issues will pop up (if any).

Name:	Revell Type IX_073.jpg
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	127886
          Doing some research, I found a great document http://amp.rokket.biz/lib_uboats.shtml on the 505. So, I originally said I was not going to go crazy and I am still standing to that (although my resistance is weakening).

Name:	Revell Type IX_074.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	127887
          Can you see that rust? Let us take a closer look.

Name:	Revell Type IX_075.jpg
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	127888
          Now this shot, some subtle colors here, but not as much rust. So, the rusty area is underwater? If so why so much rust there?

Name:	Revell Type IX_076.jpg
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	127889
          These photos are from the capture. Now going back to the primer, if you look at the bow shot you can see chipping with a real light gray underneath, as well as the Turm which shows a ton of light gray coming out......do I want to do all that? Must resist.

Comment

• ober freak
            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by salmon View Post
            Can you see that rust? Let us take a closer look.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]685[/ATTACH]
            Now this shot, some subtle colors here, but not as much rust. So, the rusty area is underwater? If so why so much rust there?
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]686[/ATTACH]
            Tom, it's just the other side. Rusty on the left / Port and colored on the right / Starboard one.

Originally posted by salmon View Post
            These photos are from the capture. Now going back to the primer, if you look at the bow shot you can see chipping with a real light gray underneath, as well as the Turm which shows a ton of light gray coming out......do I want to do all that? Must resist.
            The light gray parts should be simmilar to RAL7035. FS36495 with a hue of blue comes close.

Some color comparison (from web samples)

Name:	DKM-Hellgrau.jpg
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	127893

Marco

Comment

• thor
              SubCommittee Member
              • Feb 2009

Tom,

I would greatly appreciate it if you could put this all in an article and submit for print? How about just a short two or three page introduction to the project, then take what you've written here and expand into a nice, multi-issue article. Take your time and break it up.

This is a great build with a fresh perspective. I think it would be a great addition to the SCR!
              Regards,

Matt

Comment

• bob_eissler
                SubCommittee Member
                • Aug 2005

Maybe the port side of the bow scraped something? The colors look a little suspicious. Have the pictures been colorized? The color of film changes with age. Like the way the weatheringshows up.

Comment

• salmon
                  Treasurer
                  • Jul 2011

@ Matt - I will give it some serious consideration, thank you and Jeff for asking.

@ Bob - Beats me why one side would be that rusted. It is possible that paint supplies were stretched or while in port last the painters sabotaged it or like you said maybe something brushed against it or would that be the side they would dock to another sub or ship? Fascinating. As far as the photos, it was a color film and not colorized. I agree the colors look enhanced or corrected for age. That being said, it is a starting point.
                  Last edited by salmon; 07-30-2015, 01:32 AM.

Comment

• bwi
                    SubCommittee Member
                    • Jun 2013

I sit back, smile and enjoy you built Tom.

I have the same picture but with a little less coloring, the rust isn’t so pronounced now.

Name:	u805_zps7c166619.jpg
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	127898

the link http://s2.photobucket.com/user/leyha...66619.jpg.html more pixels so you can blow it up for more details.

Grtz,
                    Bart
                    Last edited by bwi; 07-30-2015, 12:39 PM.
                    Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
                    "Samuel Smiles"
                    http://scale-submarine.com/index.html

Comment

• JWLaRue
                      Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
                      • Aug 1994

I don't think that color photo is one of the U-505. The fore deck looks like it's been cut back similar to that of the U-234. If I had to guess, this is a photo of one of the boats that turned themselves over to the U.S. at the end of the war.

-Jeff
                      Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• ober freak
                        • Jan 2014

Jeff is right!
                        Bart's linked picture also captions U-805.

Comment

• salmon
                          Treasurer
                          • Jul 2011

Well that helps, thank all for helping!

Comment

• Radioman
                            SubCommittee Member
                            • Jul 2015

Salmon,

Great work. I have the same kit but at this time I am working on the Sea Wolf. .Will keep your build in mind when I start my kit.

Comment

• salmon
                              Treasurer
                              • Jul 2011

I went to get paint and saw an auto store. Went in there and they did not have a light gray, but they did have a paint I had not tried before. It was a filling and sand-able primer. Hmmm, got lazy and purchased it.
                              Shot a coat of primer down and let dry for a day or two. It sure is amazing how areas that originally looked great look ghastly with primer on. Several areas needed more attention and Nitro-Stan was painted on and let dry.

Name:	Revell Type IX_077.jpg
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	127902
                              After wet sanding with 240 grit wet/dry and then used a wet sanding with 600 wet/dry the areas seemed pretty good.
                              Another light spray of primer. Looks good to me.

Name:	Revell Type IX_078.jpg
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	127903
                              This is the paint I used. For my first time trying it, I am pleased with the results.

Name:	Revell Type IX_079.jpg
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	127904
                              Last edited by salmon; 08-04-2015, 02:41 AM.

Comment

• salmon
                                Treasurer
                                • Jul 2011

Back to the picture of the U-805, I completely messed that up. I went to the history101 and found the photo there and it does identify the U-805 for the rusty bow. Thanks guys for keeping me honest.
                                Bart, thank you for your photo. I like the subtle colors verses the one I found. A lot of details and weathering that can be gotten off your photo. I saved it to study more.

Comment

Working...
                                X