• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salmon
    Treasurer
    • Jul 2011

Revell Type IX C (U505 Late) 1/72nd

The doctor ordered me to occupy my mind (which is proof I have one) while I recover from the surgery. Of course that put a grin on my face and a roll of the eyes on Tina’s (my wonderful wife) face. She instantly knew what I was thinking.

The original plan was to build the Bronco Type XXIII (again), but the Type IX was gnawing at me to build. I needed some ground rules I hope to stay within. Try not to get crazy detailing it because that will soak up my time and with all the aftermarket stuff out there, eat up my finances. So, I will TRY to build it out of the box.

Opening the box, I was a little surprised at how big the box was for how few the number of parts there are. There is plenty of detail (I am aware of some of the discussions about accuracy), but overall it is a great kit. Another surprise was the size. It is over 41” in length about 10” shorter than the Gato and about 5” longer than the Type VII in the same scale. Anyways, I am not disappointed by this model.

The first decision is to open up holes. Originally I was going to do all of them, but I changed my mind to most of them.

First using a Dremel or in my case a Foredom.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Revell Type IX_001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	136416Click image for larger version

Name:	Revell Type IX_002.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	136417
    I began by estimating where the flood holes are and holding up to a desk lamp began grinding on the inside cutting to make sure I was getting the material I needed out. You can also see how close you are to stopping by thinness of the plastic judging by how much light comes through.

Name:	Revell Type IX_003.jpg
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	136418Click image for larger version

Name:	Revell Type IX_004.jpg
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	136419
    You can see the plastic getting lighter and lighter as the plastic thins.

Name:	Revell Type IX_005.jpg
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	136420Click image for larger version

Name:	Revell Type IX_006.jpg
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	136421
    Some holes like the limber holes are pretty easy to find, others took approximate guesses and using the light, looking at the finished side or outside, to see how close I got and make appropriate adjustments.

Practice makes perfect….or in my case, I mess up so I can learn new ways to fix and repair damaged areas (and if you believe that, I have some land for sale).

Name:	Revell Type IX_007.jpg
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	136422
    Wow do I give myself lots of practice. I did get better with time.

Name:	Revell Type IX_008.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	136423
    The best tip I can offer is go lightly. I made most of my mistakes by being impatient and trying to grind away too much, too quickly.

Name:	Revell Type IX_009.jpg
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	136424
    OK, that was a little silly. It is out of the box still.

I have a few more holes to do and will post more when I have something interesting, like how I fixed my mess ups!
    Last edited by salmon; 06-23-2015, 04:50 AM.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
  • scott t
    • Feb 2003

Kind of like a dentist. Grinds big holes in your teeth and then glops filling material in. Or covers it with a cap/crown.
    Now if you grind your fingers and get some blood flowing you will really be like the dentist.

Scott T

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
      • Oct 2012

There are times I want to just drill holes down the bottom center line and then paint all the flood holes and vents black.
      I really don't like cutting all those holes.
      Could be why I have never built a old sub.

Nice work there Tom.

Comment

• thor
        SubCommittee Member
        • Feb 2009

Very professionally done, Tom. Good job!
        Regards,

Matt

Comment

• salmon
          Treasurer
          • Jul 2011

@Scott, yuck. Although I have bled on models in the past.

@Ralph, drilling down the centerline and painting the holes black works well! I just like pain I guess.

@Matt, very kind of you. Thank you.
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• bwi
            SubCommittee Member
            • Jun 2013

I'm watching and learning Tom

Grtz,
            Bart
            Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
            "Samuel Smiles"
            http://scale-submarine.com/index.html

Comment

• salmon
              Treasurer
              • Jul 2011

Bart,
              You are the one that could teach me a few things.
              Anyways, Got to fix my mistakes, at least a portion of them. For the most part, my detailing and fixes will be done later. My primary focus is to get the sub in the water. Then go back and detail, fix, clean up, paint and so on.
              That being said, lets see what can be done with these areas circled in red

Name:	Revell Type IX_010.jpg
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	127714

The materials being used are Bondene cohesive, a small round file, and something I have been making a lot of, styrene chips.

Name:	Revell Type IX_011.jpg
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	127715

Needed to reinforce the back side of the flood holes. I should have used a smaller bur on these openings because even being careful, too much was removed. Once the plastic was put in place, it was given a liberal amount of cohesive.

Name:	Revell Type IX_012.jpg
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	127716

The exterior area was done the same way, adding bits and pieces then adding cohesive glue to melt the plastic into one big blob. I let it set for a small amount of time and used the round file to move some of the melted plastic to pre-shape the opening. Now I will let it dry overnight.

I will do this for some of the misshapen openings and for two supports in the limber holes.

Name:	Revell Type IX_013.jpg
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	127717

Comment

• mar7ck
                SubCommittee Member
                • Mar 2003

I'm glad i'm not the only one to do that.

Comment

• salmon
                  Treasurer
                  • Jul 2011

Today's progress....
                  The fluffy grindings that the burr makes (lower right corner in photo) become a wonderful styrene putty that works great for a type of filler. I wet the area, place one of the pieces on the area to be filled and touch more glue to that. In moments it dissolves into a sticky, thick, goo that once hardens will become one with the base. Until it hardens, it can be spread, pushed, and pulled.

Name:	Revell Type IX_014.jpg
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	127718
                  Looks O.K. so far, a little filing and shaping then paint, who will notice? For the most part, people will not notice or look at the flood holes and certainly once it is in the water even less will see it. In the meantime have plenty of other things to do, so I will let this dry.

Comment

• salmon
                    Treasurer
                    • Jul 2011

Mark, have you built the Type IX?

OK, I just had to do a little more on the flood holes. maybe you can see the difference.

Name:	Revell Type IX_015.jpg
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	127720

The bell crank for the rear planes needs room to move and will need to be ground out. Marked out in the picture. I removed way more than needed, but I just want to have the extra room just in case. Also, I remove unnecessary flash and internal structures not needed like the injection molding also shown in the picture.

Name:	Revell Type IX_016.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	127721
                    The removal of the molding area was easy with a flush cutter

Name:	Revell Type IX_017.jpg
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	127722
                    Ground out the area for the rear rudder bell crank.

Name:	Revell Type IX_018.jpg
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	127723
                    I noticed I missed some flood/limber holes on the rear pieces. I tried a different burr to finish the excavating the plastic out. A small round burr. That seemed to give me a little better control.

Name:	Revell Type IX_019.jpg
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	127724Click image for larger version

Name:	Revell Type IX_020.jpg
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	127725

Comment

• PaulC
                      Administrator
                      • Feb 2003

Wow, talk about control, Tom. You really have a good eye and steady hand. Not to mention patience. The results equal PE detail in my opinion. It looks great! Nice technique for spot repair too. I will be borrowing that.
                      Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
                      <><

Comment

• salmon
                        Treasurer
                        • Jul 2011

We learn from each other my friend. While I appreciate your kind words Scott, I look at my flood holes and see an amateur attempt. It will pass, but I need a lot more experience!

Comment

• salmon
                          Treasurer
                          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by salmon View Post
                          We learn from each other my friend. While I appreciate your kind words Scott, I look at my flood holes and see an amateur attempt. It will pass, but I need a lot more experience!
                          Paul, forgive me, I typed Scott, but meant you. Must be sniffing too much of this plastic dust. Please forgive me. No offense to Scott either!

Comment

• salmon
                            Treasurer
                            • Jul 2011

Name:	Revell Type IX_021.jpg
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	127738
                            I marked the parts so I do not get confused. I even put L for left and R for right on the outside.

Name:	Revell Type IX_022.jpg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	127727
                            The propellor shaft strut is glued together with cohesive glue. If you look closely you can see the melted glue ooze out along the seam on the top. This is good. When it dries, a little sanding and filing and no seam will show. I ran a round file through the opening to make sure nothing blocked the prop shaft.

Name:	Revell Type IX_023.jpg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	127728
                            Sliding the shaft through the strut, I marked the point it emerges out and then when the shaft is clear of the strut. Big red arrows point to those locations. I sharpie the points so later it can be transferred to the hull.

Name:	Revell Type IX_024.jpg
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	127729
                            Now placing the strut on the keyed notch on the hull, I transferred the marks. I also outlined in pencil so that I can make sure we stay in the same position.

Name:	Revell Type IX_025.jpg
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	127730 Click image for larger version

Name:	Revell Type IX_026.jpg
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	127731
                            in-between our marks of the shaft passing through the strut, draw an oval this area is what will be carved out.

Name:	Revell Type IX_027.jpg
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	127732
                            Then do the same for the other side.

Name:	Revell Type IX_028.jpg
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	127733
                            Ground out a trough that eventually punches forward.

Name:	Revell Type IX_029.jpg
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	127734Click image for larger version

Name:	Revell Type IX_030.jpg
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	127735
                            Then using a round file, continued to shave away until the file lines up with the strut bearing on the skeg. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it was temporarily taped down.

Name:	Revell Type IX_031.jpg
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	127736Click image for larger version

Name:	Revell Type IX_032.jpg
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	127737
                            Then check the shaft travel and remove plastic until the shaft turns easily.

If I should ever make something as clear as mud, please let me know!
                            Last edited by salmon; 06-28-2015, 11:53 PM.

Comment

• southern or
                              • May 2014

That looks great so far. Reminds me of when I converted a Revell Voyager for lighting.

Comment

Working...
                              X