Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • u-571
    • Dec 2008

can anyone direct me towards getting some help. I need a decal made otherwise I may just have to hand paint it.
    what I need is a decal of some sort that goes in front of the conning tower on this typhoon submarine its a Russian logo needs to be around not exactly 1' 1/4 inch long 1' inch wide its going to be a small Decal can anyone help
    Attached Files
    Last edited by u-571; 12-09-2018, 06:08 PM.

Comment

• crueby
      • May 2015

If a one off decal is not doable (I have no idea of that), another possibility is inkjet printing on rice paper. I have used it to put pictures on kayak paddles. It needs to be done with a printer that uses pigmented inks, not dye based or it will bleed. The rice paper is very thin, so tape a section to a piece of normal letter size. After printing, trim around the logo, and use thin resin to apply it like you would glass cloth, the paper absorbs the resin and goes transparent.

Comment

• salmon
        Treasurer
        • Jul 2011

Is that a typo or does your decal need to be 15" x 12"?
        That is one big decal! Testers has a decal kit

You might be able to do it. I have yet to use this so maybe others can speak up if it is good or not.

Or I searched on google for decal maker and this came up:

Again your mileage may vary.
        Last edited by salmon; 12-09-2018, 03:08 PM.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• u-571
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by salmon View Post
          Is that a typo or does your decal need to be 15" x 12"?
          That is one big decal! Testers has a decal kit

You might be able to do it. I have yet to use this so maybe others can speak up if it is good or not.

Or I searched on google for decal maker and this came up:

Again your mileage may vary.

thanks for the help yes its a typo its just a small decal I fixed my typo

Comment

• u-571
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by crueby View Post
            If a one off decal is not doable (I have no idea of that), another possibility is inkjet printing on rice paper. I have used it to put pictures on kayak paddles. It needs to be done with a printer that uses pigmented inks, not dye based or it will bleed. The rice paper is very thin, so tape a section to a piece of normal letter size. After printing, trim around the logo, and use thin resin to apply it like you would glass cloth, the paper absorbs the resin and goes transparent.
            it looks like a water transfer I think I'm going to do but they say to use a laser printer give's a better print result link below I was impressed when i saw the YouTube video

In this video I walk through the steps I took to create my own home made decals. This particular one went on the B-24 Liberator Strange Cargo. Materials:1....

Comment

• JWLaRue
              Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
              • Aug 1994

I've used the Testers decal system. It works very, very well and is quite easy to use.

-Jeff
              Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• u-571
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by JWLaRue View Post
                I've used the Testers decal system. It works very, very well and is quite easy to use.

-Jeff
                Thank Jeff
                I'm sure there are other way of doing it but I think the tester decal system will work great since its a small decal in front of the coning tower. I will also spray it with a flat sealer spray to make it water proof.
                Last edited by u-571; 12-10-2018, 12:04 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• JWLaRue
                  Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
                  • Aug 1994

Definitely use the decal-specific sealer. I used it on my Type II U-boat conning tower and it's held up without any sign of degradation.

-Jeff
                  Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• u-571
                    • Dec 2008

thanks Jeff Im going this route . I will post pictures of my steps when i do it

Comment

• bob the builder
                      Former SC President
                      • Feb 2003

The only issue with decal paper (clear, I'm assuming), is that on a black background your colors won't come through. If you go with white decal paper, you'll need to be utterly precise in cutting them out so as not to get a white border around the details.

Bite the bullet and do it right. Get with Cindy from www.aeroloft.com and send her your artwork. They'll turn around a proper dry transfer quick and for a decent price. You spent $3k(ish) on your sub. Don't cheap out on something that will be sitting front and center for the rest of its life!

Bob
                      The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• u-571
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by bob the builder View Post
                        The only issue with decal paper (clear, I'm assuming), is that on a black background your colors won't come through. If you go with white decal paper, you'll need to be utterly precise in cutting them out so as not to get a white border around the details.

Bite the bullet and do it right. Get with Cindy from www.aeroloft.com and send her your artwork. They'll turn around a proper dry transfer quick and for a decent price. You spent $3k(ish) on your sub. Don't cheap out on something that will be sitting front and center for the rest of its life!
                        Bob

Oh no I wont take any short cuts . I thought using water transfer was the way to go. But if theres someone that can make it for me perfect. Yes I will go that way I will get in contact with Cindy
                        thanks bob
                        Last edited by u-571; 12-11-2018, 10:35 PM.

Comment

• u-571
                          • Dec 2008

I just sent 3 pictures to Cindy at www.aeroloft.com we will see how much for the decal then I will go from there. l think bob is right I don't want to take any chances I want it perfect. I think some one that does it for a living will do a better job then I can. I will keep everyone up to date on my findings I hope its good . The water transfer is good but I will have a black background so I think the colors may not be that vivid . That's the reason I'm going with Cindy I sent her these pictures she should be able to work with these to get the right size and shape of logo . thank you to all of you giving me ideas and choices much appreciated

Jim.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by u-571; 12-12-2018, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• u-571
                            • Dec 2008

I have some one In Arizona that is making me the logo . She's does custom hand work she draws them out precisely Then sends it to a vinyl decal machine . When i receive it I will post pictures .

thanks for everyone's ideas and helping me out to decide what route I wanted to go . The place is called http://www.aeroloft.com/ Cindy is her name .

Jim
                            Last edited by u-571; 12-14-2018, 01:55 AM.

Comment

• u-571
                              • Dec 2008

I NEED SOME HELP ANY ONE ! I posted a picture of a watt meter that was suppose to work for 6 volts system because my typhoon is a 6 volt system. Well it only seems to work on 12 volts only does not even glow light up does nothing on 6 volts. I want some thing that works .Can someone send me a link of a 6 volt meter that works for sure.
                              much appreciated

thanks Jim
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by u-571; 12-20-2018, 08:12 PM.

Comment

• u-571
                                • Dec 2008

I was told what the problem was there is a outside small power supply, small little pins that need to be powered up for the meter to turn on . normally you need to do nothing if the power is over 12 volts In this case 6 volts is to low for the screen to turn on with out some help. I now can now use it for a 6 volt system . I had no instructions on this unit that is what the real problem was
                                Jim
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X