X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • u-571
    • Dec 2008

Alexander Engel TK-208 Russian TYPHOON Submarine build

Pictures when the beast arrived. Also photo of my work shop to build this monster oh boy this thing is big !
    Attached Files
    Last edited by u-571; 11-18-2018, 11:56 PM.
  • u-571
    • Dec 2008

Cutting out the flood ports

The beginning cutting out all those flood ports
    Attached Files

Comment

• JWLaRue
      Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
      • Aug 1994

That's almost as 'bad' as having to cut and file out all those casing slots on a WW2 U-boat!

Looking good, btw.

-Jeff
      Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• u-571
        • Dec 2008

more pictures cutting out

pictures showing more ports being cut out
        Attached Files

Comment

• u-571
          • Dec 2008

Cut outs for front dive planes

That was fun cutting my first big hole in my investment once I got it done I was happy again. I will not allow any mistakes In a sub like this slow and carful .
          Attached Files

Comment

• u-571
            • Dec 2008

I built a Gato cobia submarine before on this forum but that was 2009 that was my first submarine I ever built . This one is a whole different story taking my time because this thing was expensive. I don't want to mess it up . stay tune will post more progress pictures.

Jim Amos
            Last edited by u-571; 11-19-2018, 02:06 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• u-571
              • Dec 2008

will be getting ready to place some lead beads on the bottom plus cut out the upper holes for the conning tower retracts
              Last edited by u-571; 11-19-2018, 12:20 AM.

Comment

• u-571
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by JWLaRue View Post
                That's almost as 'bad' as having to cut and file out all those casing slots on a WW2 U-boat!

Looking good, btw.

-Jeff
                thanks for stopping by saying hello yes that submarine WW2 U-boat sure does have a lot of cut outs like the typhoon indeed.

Jim

Comment

• scott t
                  • Feb 2003

Looks fun but don't build that 90° bend you have in the plans.

Comment

• u-571
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by scott t View Post
                    Looks fun but don't build that 90° bend you have in the plans.
                    LOL !!! I wont do that

I have a patio took some wood made four walls a roof made it rain proof and a light, and a heater presto" man cave . I have a little room to build my sub only have one big wall but already have plans on it so I lightly wrapped the other plan around the other wall it works I can still read it LOL!
                    Last edited by u-571; 11-19-2018, 09:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• u-571
                      • Dec 2008

I think I'm not going to place any weight until later. Because its easy to add it but not take it out. I'm going forward with the build, Engel suggest all that weight

to me added at the beginning of the build, but i was told by others they found out there was to much weight.

Any other people ideas about that feel free to make comment .
                      Last edited by u-571; 11-19-2018, 10:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
                        • Oct 2012

Engel's boats usually come with the correct amount of lead ballast.
                        Maybe a little more than needed but not much.

A suggestion:
                        If you received shot instead of bars, try using small ziplock bags and put small amounts of shot in several bags.
                        You can place them over the keel line and shape them to fit without lifting the wtc.
                        You can change the amount of shot in the bags to get near to the final weight.

Remember, you want the Center of Gravity on the surface high about the center of gravity submerged to keep the boat from rolling on to it's side during transition from surface to submerged and back.
                        If the two center of gravity locations cross the boat will roll.
                        Too much weight can be compensated with adding foam just below the waterline.

Using small bags allows you to mve them side to side and fore and aft to trim the boat.

Once you get it close, you can start fixing the shot 1 bag at a time to get the position set.

You can also, make long wooden forms to make bars that will fit.
                        Make the form and then wax it or place sandwich wrap plastic in so the weights do not bond to the form.
                        Mix up a little epoxy or some such glue/bonder and pour a little in to the form then add shot to make bards.
                        If you need more epoxy or glue, it's better to not have enough bonder and add more shot.

Not a good idea to bond all the shot in to 1 weight.
                        You may need to remove some later.

Comment

• u-571
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Ralph --- SSBN 598 View Post
                          Engel's boats usually come with the correct amount of lead ballast.
                          Maybe a little more than needed but not much.

A suggestion:
                          If you received shot instead of bars, try using small ziplock bags and put small amounts of shot in several bags.
                          You can place them over the keel line and shape them to fit without lifting the wtc.
                          You can change the amount of shot in the bags to get near to the final weight.

Remember, you want the Center of Gravity on the surface high about the center of gravity submerged to keep the boat from rolling on to it's side during transition from surface to submerged and back.
                          If the two center of gravity locations cross the boat will roll.
                          Too much weight can be compensated with adding foam just below the waterline.

Using small bags allows you to mve them side to side and fore and aft to trim the boat.

Once you get it close, you can start fixing the shot 1 bag at a time to get the position set.

You can also, make long wooden forms to make bars that will fit.
                          Make the form and then wax it or place sandwich wrap plastic in so the weights do not bond to the form.
                          Mix up a little epoxy or some such glue/bonder and pour a little in to the form then add shot to make bards.
                          If you need more epoxy or glue, it's better to not have enough bonder and add more shot.

Not a good idea to bond all the shot in to 1 weight.
                          You may need to remove some later.
                          Hi Ralph
                          thank you for the advice I think that's a great idea use plastic bags to get everything balance out weight wise with center gravity .

If I'm correct what your saying to me, so that the boat does not roll. I must make the boat level, on the surface perfectly, and be at the proper depth,
                          if not need more weight, plus it must be level on surface .

I also wanted to say I have 2.9 pounds of weight and 6 metal plates they gave me I guess I can use either one.
                          Last edited by u-571; 11-20-2018, 11:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• u-571
                            • Dec 2008

I live in San Diego so im not to far from LA were is the LA Subrun located can someone let me know it's address so I have multiple places I can go to run my

typhoon. Plus do I need to join or something ? I have one group of mates that go to Yorba linda but have not herd from anyone.
                            Last edited by u-571; 11-20-2018, 03:53 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• u-571
                              • Dec 2008

resin micro spheres im using

this stuff works very well high quality polyester resin what Engel requires for this build . I have built a lot of fiberglass projects with this stuff works great.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X