1/72 Revell Gato Balao conversion-first time cylinder (yeah, I'm at a loss)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • southern or
    • May 2014

1/72 Revell Gato Balao conversion-first time cylinder (yeah, I'm at a loss)

So, I have a sub-driver (finally) for the boat but I'm at a complete loss on how to set it up. I think I need tubing, but I don't know what size or kind, or where to get it, same goes for what I think is a 5mm bucket joint.

This would be the snorkel, but I don't have any tubing for it and I don't know how to set it up in the tower.

I thing I might be missing something else, but I don't know what it is.

Something that goes to something else.

connected ports that I assume go somewhere?

Well, this is what I have and the sub driver forums seem to be down, so any help (or instructions) would be appreciated! Thanks
  • chips
    • Feb 2003

You should have received a couple of lengths of Clippard tubing and a length of zip wire. The zip wire runs from the front space to the rear space inside the brass tube. The zip wire connects the battery in the front to the ESC in the rear. Two lengths of Clippard tubing run from the ports on the rear of the cylinder to the fitting on the top of the cylinder. One length of Clippard tubing runs from the single tube on top of the cylinder to the bottom of the float valve.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7369.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	130405
    Two lengths of Clippard tube run from the rear of the cylinder to the top fitting. One length forward connects to the float valve.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7372.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	130406
    The fitting with the o-ring attaches to the bottom of the float valve assembly.

Comment

• southern or
      • May 2014

I didn't get any of that, the fitting, the Clippard tube, or the zip wire.

Originally posted by chips View Post
      You should have received a couple of lengths of Clippard tubing and a length of zip wire. The zip wire runs from the front space to the rear space inside the brass tube. The zip wire connects the battery in the front to the ESC in the rear. Two lengths of Clippard tubing run from the ports on the rear of the cylinder to the fitting on the top of the cylinder. One length of Clippard tubing runs from the single tube on top of the cylinder to the bottom of the float valve.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4281[/ATTACH]
      Two lengths of Clippard tube run from the rear of the cylinder to the top fitting. One length forward connects to the float valve.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4282[/ATTACH]
      The fitting with the o-ring attaches to the bottom of the float valve assembly.

Comment

• chips
        • Feb 2003

The pictures I posted are of USS MARLIN with a 3" Sub-driver, I can't find the sheet that came with. I'm working on a Revell Type VII with a 2" Sub-driver. The sheet for the 2" Sub-driver has the following list of bagged items, that were packed inside the cylinder.
        • three, magnetic coupler sets
        • one, motor bulkhead SAS manifold
        • one, bow plane dog-bone assembly
        • three, flexible hoses
        • one, pushrod seal
        • one, snorkel head valve assembly
        • one, power cable strain relief block
        • one, zip cord type power cable
        • various mechanical fastener

The three flexible hoses are the Clippard hoses. They are the same size as the ones connected between the air pump and the inside of the motor bulkhead.

Comment

• ccontrol
          SubCommittee Member
          • Mar 2012

Bob Martin at Nautilus Drydocks is your friend. He has a lot of resources on his website to help with setup.
          Great guy to deal with.

Comment

• southern or
            • May 2014

Alright, I emailed Bob, and I am missing a bit of stuff that he'll be sending off shortly. I'm thinking I might start filling in the casing holes here pretty quick while I wait. I've got an Iron Bottom Sound replacement tower and gun and stencils for the conversion to a Balao.

I'm thinking that I can use part of the PE set to open the tower for the snorkel, but I'm still hollowing it out.

Thanks for the help so far!
            JP

Comment

• ccontrol
              SubCommittee Member
              • Mar 2012

The IBS towers are solid resin and may be pretty heavy. I think he will do a hollowed out version for RC applications. This was based on conversations I had regarding post-war Guppy conversion sails.

Comment

• southern or
                • May 2014

Originally posted by ccontrol View Post
                The IBS towers are solid resin and may be pretty heavy. I think he will do a hollowed out version for RC applications. This was based on conversations I had regarding post-war Guppy conversion sails.
                It's a solid one too, but I've been slowly hollowing it out with a router. I'm to the point now where I need to decide where I want to punch through and how I want to do it. It's pretty light once you get the bulk of the material out which is nice.

Comment

• apa-228
                  • Feb 2015

These might sooth your pain!

Comment

• bob the builder
                    Former SC President
                    • Feb 2003

Lack of the peripheral parts is on me in this case. I'd taken them out to photograph for another customer about a month ago and forgot to put them back in the cylinder before I shipped them out to Joshua.

Dave does an exceptional job in ensuring that all of his products are tested and complete prior to shipping.

I've got a batch of replacement parts off to Joshua today. Should be there soon!
                    The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• southern or
                      • May 2014

I might have to look into that!

Originally posted by apa-228 View Post
                      Thanks Bob! I can't wait for them!
                      Originally posted by bob the builder View Post
                      Lack of the peripheral parts is on me in this case. I'd taken them out to photograph for another customer about a month ago and forgot to put them back in the cylinder before I shipped them out to Joshua.

Dave does an exceptional job in ensuring that all of his products are tested and complete prior to shipping.

I've got a batch of replacement parts off to Joshua today. Should be there soon!
                      In project related news, the IBS tower is coming along suspiciously well so far. it's about 90% hollow and part of the deck is now open.

It is really light now too.

Comment

• salmon
                        Treasurer
                        • Jul 2011

If I may offer a tip.....Remove as much material as you can above the waterline. Please do not hold me to this....I am using my gray(er) matter.... I recall mine having a 26.58 cubic inch ballast (after removing for gas system and brass pipe traversing the tank) and every ounce you shave off the top is one less cubic inch you will use to loft it out of the water. You will need that extra lift. The Gato (Balao) has a a tall tower and will have a tendency to tilt over. So you will be adding foam and lead in there.
                        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• southern or
                          • May 2014

Originally posted by salmon View Post
                          If I may offer a tip.....Remove as much material as you can above the waterline. Please do not hold me to this....I am using my gray(er) matter.... I recall mine having a 26.58 cubic inch ballast (after removing for gas system and brass pipe traversing the tank) and every ounce you shave off the top is one less cubic inch you will use to loft it out of the water. You will need that extra lift. The Gato (Balao) has a a tall tower and will have a tendency to tilt over. So you will be adding foam and lead in there.
                          I'm thinking when the tower is complete it will be heavier then the stock plastic one, but not by a lot. It's already lightened up a lot with most of the material removed but yeah, it'll need weight on the 'keel' and foam. What I am wondering about is the effect of removing the stock kit plastic (floating) decks and replacing them with PE ones. I'm wondering if that'd be too much brass and resin above the waterline...

Comment

• salmon
                            Treasurer
                            • Jul 2011

I had the same concerns and opted not to put brass deck on, but another gentleman informed me that it ended up weighing the same or less. I do not remember what configuration he used to support the deck or how much he left on as a whole, but then I do not recall if I saw him ever sail his sub. So, ultimately it is up to you. This boat is your boat to choose as you want to. I will be watching because when I get around to building my second Gato (still a ways away) it will be a Balao too. So, I am learning from you!
                            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• ccontrol
                              SubCommittee Member
                              • Mar 2012

Originally posted by salmon View Post
                              I had the same concerns and opted not to put brass deck on, but another gentleman informed me that it ended up weighing the same or less. I do not remember what configuration he used to support the deck or how much he left on as a whole, but then I do not recall if I saw him ever sail his sub. So, ultimately it is up to you. This boat is your boat to choose as you want to. I will be watching because when I get around to building my second Gato (still a ways away) it will be a Balao too. So, I am learning from you!
                              No Pressure!

Comment

Working...
                              X