USS Nautilus - final Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

70mm piston with 1mm thread pitch- 3.85g per revolution. I'd have thought a pair of magnets would be enough, but I guess it depends on how much of a 'fudge factor' engel have dialled into their unipro firmware.

Comment

• drschmidt
      • Jul 2014

We'll see. It's definitely not a disadvantage.

Comment

• bigdave
        • Feb 2003

If I remember the instructions say use either 2 or 4 magnets. (I believe they supply 4)
        I have tried both 2 and 4 on my subs and did not notice any real difference in operation.
        Like Jeff said you are limited by thread pitch and even transmitter control stick or knob travel.
        I am using 2 magnets now on mine. The depth control is more than adequate. BD
        sigpic"Eat your pudding Mr Land"
        "I ain't sure it's pudden" 20K

Comment

• JWLaRue
          Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
          • Aug 1994

Agreed it's not a disadvantage.....unless the controller firmware uses a count buffer that cannot hold a number that is large enough for the total of the # of magnets times the # of revolutions required for moving the jack screw from one extreme to the other.

I assume you you have verified that your setup works?

-Jeff
          Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• drschmidt
            • Jul 2014

Working on the wiring. Should be done by end of the week. Then we'll see. Tried the setup with another tank with 6 magnets. Worked...

Comment

• drschmidt
              • Jul 2014

O.K., the manual says: the more pairs of magnets one puts on the gear, the finer the adjustment. That's what I interpret as "more is better". This is of course limited by the crosstalk of the magnets, so they cannot be placed too close. I'll see if I'm still outside that limit. Important is the alternating north-south orientation of the magnets.

Comment

• salmon
                Treasurer
                • Jul 2011

I have a piston setup and the person that made it put in 6 magnets, I believe. It is super fine on the piston movement. Having 12, providing it will accept that many, will give you incredible control. Look forward to seeing your results, plus nice build. I have not commented much because I would be saying the same thing over and over again. Reactions like drooling over the details just does not express itself in electronic format. Well done sir.
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• bigdave
                  • Feb 2003

Yes I too am looking FWD to seeing how it works.
                  But I find myself remembering one of my favorite sayings.
                  "Sometimes more is just more" BD
                  sigpic"Eat your pudding Mr Land"
                  "I ain't sure it's pudden" 20K

Comment

• drschmidt
                    • Jul 2014

Works splendidly. Cannot say if it's better than with six magnets, but definitely not worse. I guess the increments are now limited by the resolution of my MC19

Comment

• JWLaRue
                      Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
                      • Aug 1994

That's really good to know! Can you determine if you have enough control to move in increments of one magnet at a time? (i.e.: 30 degree increments of the gear wth the magnets.)

-Jeff
                      Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• drschmidt
                        • Jul 2014

All components are installed and wired. The two Roxxy speed controllers sit left and right of the tank controller. At the front sits the 4100 mAh LiFePo battery. On top of it sits the LiFePo receiver battery and above all the Corona receiver. Next to it there still is enough space for the Engel auto-leveler. Look quite busy but actually it’s quite tidy and well accessible:

And because it looks so nice, again the complete boat:

Comment

• u-571
                          • Dec 2008

Just a awesome build great detail The sub turned out great the paint work turned out nice.

Jim

Comment

• drschmidt
                            • Jul 2014

The last post about the build was October 2016. Well, I finished the boat but stopped there. No trimming, no run....so November 2020 I decided to finally get it wet. And so I did. Started trimming a week ago. Unfortunately it has a leak and it took me a while to identify where it is. Seems like te bajonet catch has a bit large tolerances. So I will degrease it and then put some scotch tape under the O-ring. Should fix the problem. And then back into the tub...

Click image for larger version

Name:	125926727_3733026676748952_6189281443692343575_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	135090

Comment

Working...
                            X