Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OTW NACKEN BUILD HMS Neptun

D

Cornwall Model Boats is where i buy mine.

you get a choice of red plastic parts or black plastic parts:

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/aca ... dular.html

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/aca ... lings.html

use the "link spindle" to tie two of the u-joints together. both sets give you the ability to pick and choose which motorshaft and propshaft inserts you use.

you will want to replace the grub screws with stainless

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Comment

• dhffr
      • Mar 2004

Thanks....

I rarely order from the UK. How are shipping costs with them?

D

Comment

D

the shipping costs and times for Cornwall are basically identical to those from china. I'm a cheapskate, so i always use the slowest/cheapest option... 10 to 15 days, and $10 to $15.00. I never order just one part. always get a box of multiple props and shafts and couplings. oddly enough that is all i have ever ordered from them. propshafts, couplings and props for 6 boats and almost 5 subs.

Tim

Comment

• dhffr
          • Mar 2004

Cornwall has everything I need in the red. Are they as beefy as the black ones? The black one I have does not say Raboesch on it so I think it is the same as the red.

D

Comment

The red ones are usually Ripmax or Huco couplings. The splines, dimensions and strength are the same however.

Comment

• profesorul
              • Apr 2014

I am very pleased about Cornwall and Postal Fees to my door (ROMANIA) was : 4,80GBP (way my keyboard for GBP symbol wont work !?!?!?)

Not to mention they whore more than understanding with me , considering that I ordered wrong a product and have changed ...... it is true that he had not been sent yet at that time but steel

MARIUS

Comment

D

i own considerably more of the red than the black... and neither has given me any problem.

Tim

Comment

• dhffr
                  • Mar 2004

WTC mounting finished and all linkages are done. Ready for a float and trim test. Just need to pick up an inflatable pool to start trimming.

D

Comment

• dhffr
                    • Mar 2004

I finally got the Neptune in the test tank today. Surface trim done in about 5 minutes. Submerged trim within a half hour. Fastest one I have ever done.
                    First shot is leak testing the tube. 3rd shot is of the steel bars I used. Came out of some workout ankle weight belts. (local pool says "NO LEAD") Sprayed them and the blue foam with Plastidip. It really does a good job of preventing rust. It also seals the foam up better and makes everything black. Very clean......Final shot is the finished periscopes and tower. Just a few details to do in the bridge area.(electronics, zincs, etc...)

D

Comment

• dhffr
                      • Mar 2004

Here is the final surface trim at about 95% full tank. Tail heavy like they used to run them on the surface. Also started cleaning up for final paint.

D

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
                        • Oct 2012

Beautiful work.

I would be careful with making the tail a little low.
                        I believe that the low stern is cause by hydrodynamics pulling the stern down when moving forward due to the hull shape.
                        Once the boat submerges the effect is in all direction and not just down balancing the boat's trim under water.

I see another research project.
                        I will no doubt start looking for photos showing the Nacken running on the surface and standing still ..... maybe next to the dock.
                        I am sure you have already done the research.

Again, very nice work.

Comment

• dhffr
                          • Mar 2004

At rest and running, the tail is generally low based on about 20 photos I have. Looking at the photo, it's a bit higher than the actual trim when I set it up.
                          If I don't like the way it runs, I will just put a couple ounces up front and cut out some foam. No big deal.

D

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
                            • Oct 2012

I don't see it as an issue either.

I also wonder if the photos showing the bow high might be that those boats where not loaded with torpedoes or other weapons that would be up front.
                            I have been collecting photos of the Gotland as well as two drawings from Kockum.
                            Some show the boat tied tot he dock and the upper stern plane tips are exposed showing the Zinc tip bars.

Gotland and Södermanland

And under way, the Uppland

These boats are not the same class.
                            The Nacken is an A-14 boat and the Gotland is an A-19 boat.
                            Nacken is 144.4' and the Gotland is lengthened to 198'.
                            -------------------
                            At the Fun Run in June, I saw a few boats with the internal piston ballast tank.
                            Your Nacken looks like it also has the same type piston tank.
                            Is this a build it yourself item or is it available?
                            Is there a build log on it?
                            That system looks so clean.
                            In operation I watch one of the other boats hold periscope level for almost the complete run.
                            It didn't matter whether the boat was under way or sitting stationary in the water.
                            Control was remarkable.

Comment

• dhffr
                              • Mar 2004

Ralph,

Slight rise in this photo. Just about where mine actually sits.

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
                                • Oct 2012

I saw that photo.
                                I can't tell if at the stern if that's a plane tip showing at the water surface or just wake turbulence.
                                It does look like all the deck lower drain holes are exposed back to the rear draft marks.

I am looking in amazement of your abilities and asking questions.
                                None should be taken as criticism.
                                I am no where near your level of building.
                                As I get older, I find I don't have the patience to work on the smaller parts.
                                I also find that I glue my fingers together more often.
                                Got to get hand cream and maybe some rubber gloves to try.

Comment

Working...
                                X