• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crazy ivan
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

Crazy Ivan’s RC Gato Conversion

As long as we have this nice new Fleetboat Forum, we might as well have a build thread to go with it. While the two well known “Dave’s” put the finishing touches on their respective creations for the Revell Gato to get them ready to market, maybe a few of you more adventurous souls have been as impatient has I have to just get on with it. I’ll show you what I have done so far. Some of it you will have to do one way or another no matter what system you go with.

My approach to the hobby has been to use one single sealed container, containing all the expensive electronics and RCABS-R hardware, and move it from boat to boat. The propulsion unit, bladder and pressure vessel are all tuned to each specific hull, and remain with that boat. So my goal here was to cram my 19 x 3 inch cylinder into the Gato’s hull, along with all the additional parts to make it run. Even with a hull some 52 inches long, this was not quite so straight forward as it seemed, due to the way Revell set up the kit. Space is at a premium.

I broke the job down like this (not necessarily in this order):

1. Start with the rudder and stern planes, get them to pivot properly, set up the linkages.
    2. Set up the prop shafts, stuffing boxes and bearings.
    3. Build a unit which contains the motors.
    4. Work out a scheme for the bow planes and retracts.
    5. Make the hull cutouts necessary to install and maintain everything.
    6. Install everything in the hull.
    7. Test the assembled hull during sea trials.
    8. Finish off the decks and conning tower.
    9. Detail and paint the boat.

Since I don’t have 10 hours a day to devote to the project, like some people I know, this thread may take a while to complete. But I do hope, with luck, to do preliminary sea trials tonight, when Subron 8 makes our monthly winter excursion to the pool at the local YMCA.

As I did not initially have the hull available at the time, I started with the drive assembly, which I did have all the parts for. It uses two motors from Small World Models in a direct drive setup. I used a 1/72 scale blowup of a Gato line drawing to plan the installation. Because the drawing did not have cross sectional views of the hull, there was some risk in this approach, and it came back to bite me later. When I installed the unit it sat 1/4 inch higher than planned due to the narrowing of the hull in this area. So the prop shafts did not align with the motor shafts. 1/4 inch is too much to compensate for with the short dogbone couplers, so I had to tilt the whole motor assembly up at the front end. This made the shaft offset much more reasonable. I may rework the drive unit later to lower the motors. We'll see.

The rudder post is beefed up with a length of brass tubing after removing the two horizontal support tabs. A small brass arm is soldered to the tube for the control rod before sliding on to the rudder. A set screw locks it in place. The stern planes are drilled out to accept a 3/32 inch brass rod, which is epoxied in place. Short lengths of 1/8 tubing are put on either side of the control arm to act as bearings. These are clamped down by the lower half of the skeg.

Rudder, stern planes and prop shaft stuffing tube are shown in place. Two short pieces of brass tubing are glued to the hull section to act as upper and lower rudder post bearings. Hey… what are those two big tubes doing up at the top? Hmm…..

BigDave, notice that I managed to install the rudder with the torpedo door bulkhead in place and still get a plus and minus forty degree rudder swing.

The finished tail assembly. The expanded inboard ends of the stuffing tubes each contain a rulon bearing. The outboard end is too small to install one, so a short length of 1/8 ID copper tubing serves the purpose here, and in the drilled out strut assembly as well. BigDave gave me this idea. Most of the length of the stuffing tube is two sizes up from the shaft diameter, so the shaft contacts only the bearings at each end. The outside pieces of the stuffing tubes are not from the kit. I found it too difficult to hollow them out properly, so I made new ones from ¼ inch styrene tubing.

Three standoffs bolt the tail assembly to the hull to allow easy removal in case I need to access the linkages later. The bow section will be similarly bolted on.

The bottom view shows two small screws holding the lower half of the skeg in place so it can be easily removed for maintenance.

More to follow.
    sigpic
    "There are the assassins, the dealers in death. I am the Avenger!" - Captain Nemo

-George Protchenko
  • tabledancer
    • Feb 2005

George,
    I like what you are

George,
    I like what you are doing,are you using 1/8 or 3/16 prop shafts.The closest I could find were 35mm props from Loyalhanna Dockyard and they are just a shade to small but I don`t know what ratio to get and if I`m not mistaken they aren`t avalible in rite and left configuration.And also would I need to get a Type A prop.
    TD

Comment

• crazy ivan
      SubCommittee Member
      • Feb 2003

TD,

The shafts are 1/8.

TD,

The shafts are 1/8. The props are Raboesch 35mm Type A from Engel (good prices) which had an M4 tapped hole. I recut them to 8-32 thread and soldered a piece of 8-32 drilled out brass screw to the slightly turned down shaft ends. 35mm at 1/72 translates to around 8'3" diameter. Seems about right based on a much earlier discussion on the board somewhwre. They just barely clear the hull. Alignment of all the shaft components is critical and I spent many painstaking hours getting it all right. The shafts spin nice and freely now.
      sigpic
      "There are the assassins, the dealers in death. I am the Avenger!" - Captain Nemo

-George Protchenko

Comment

• crazy ivan
        SubCommittee Member
        • Feb 2003

I expect to get some

I expect to get some running pixs tonight to put up. I will detail the hull cutouts and final assembly then.
        sigpic

-George Protchenko

Comment

• tmsmalley
          SubCommittee Member
          • Feb 2003

Excellent work sir! Thanks for

Excellent work sir! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• tabledancer
            • Feb 2005

Thankyou,
            I`ll be watching for more.

Thankyou,
            I`ll be watching for more.
            TD

Comment

• tabledancer
              • Feb 2005

I found some props and

I found some props and shafts,but I don`t know what length the shafts need to be.I think I better wait till I get a wtc in there before I order something that I don`t need.What is the length on your shafts.
              TD

Comment

Beautiful job Ivan! Keep going.

Steve

Beautiful job Ivan! Keep going.

Steve

Comment

• crazy ivan
                  SubCommittee Member
                  • Feb 2003

Thanks Steve.

TD,
                  My shafts are such

Thanks Steve.

TD,
                  My shafts are such that it is 8-1/2 inches from the prop tip to where the shaft ends inside the universal socket. I wanted the motor unit as far aft as possible, right back to where the keel angles upward. The shaft length is then dictated by the length of the dogbone coupler. In practice, they could not have been much shorter due to the narrowness of the hull there. With the 3/8 dia. sockets in place, they barely squeezed through the after bulkhead of the main hull section. Here are a pair of pixs of the installation.

The green colored item running athwartships perpendicular to the shafts is a beam made of 1/8" G-10 fiberglass. It is fastened to the rear bulkhead on three aluminum standoffs. A collar on each shaft pushes against it through a rulon thrust washer to transfer the forward force from the props to the hull. In reverse, the universal sockets for the dogbones push against the front of the beam through brass thrust washers. The sockets are spaced to allow the dogbones to float with just a little play. They do not transmit any forward or reverse thrust.

Here is an overview showing how I cut out the top of the hull, and a closeup of the bow section. I tried to minimize the amount of material removed for strength. In both shots, you can see the white 30 cu.in. Robart tank nestled down in the hull which I had intended to use as the pressure vessel for my Reverse RCABS system. I prefer to run these tanks in the wet section. Unfortunately, despite my numerous careful measurements, the tank would not go all the way forward into the narrow bow. It missed by 3/4 inch, and I could not slide my WTC into place. So, sadly, I could not run Sea Trials last night.

We did witness, however, what may well be the first run anywhere of an RC Revell Gato as BigDave put his prototype system through its initial tests. Even though he could only run on the surface, we learned a lot. First off, despite the long narrow hull, the Gato turns on a dime. Secondly, it is going to take a lot of lead to ballast this baby out. Dave did not have quite enough of it to dive the boat when the bladders were deflated. Thirdly, with the bladders inflated, the boat had quite a list to port. So even more lead down low, aided with a bit of foam will probably be necessary to get things on an even keel. We did see that the amount of air supplied by Dave's 43 cu.in. Robart tank was enough to bring the boat from decks awash up to nearly the correct waterline.... barely. So my smaller tank probably would not have worked anyway. Since I need to find another tank to allow for my WTC to fit, I may need to break it up into multiple sections to fit it all in and still have enough volume. This is one reason I like to run the tank in the wet space; it can be spread out.

With the holidays approaching I may need to slow down here a bit, but I will post any progress and continue to answer any questions. But I WILL have this boat working for our next scheduled pool run in January. Meanwhile, have a great Christmas and New Year. And start those Gato's a-building!

BigDave and Paul Strassner admire our respective efforts sitting side-by-side in drydock.
                  sigpic

-George Protchenko

Comment

• sam reichart
                    Past President
                    • Feb 2003

BD and George- thanks for

BD and George- thanks for documenting and showing the way on your projects!

Comment

• tabledancer
                      • Feb 2005

Dave and George,
                      Thankyou both ,you

Dave and George,
                      Thankyou both ,you have my attention
                      TD

Comment

• bigdave
                        • Feb 2003

Not a problem guys. Crazy

Not a problem guys. Crazy and I love doing it!
                        You can see that there are many different ways to tackle a design. George is designing his around an existing system he uses, and mine is designed to be mass-produced and built by others. Same goal, to get this sucker in the water. George is finding like I did it is not that easy in this boat. Even though the basic design is great, there are some big hurtles to overcome. Nothing we won't get correct in the end. Crazy man is a very innovative guy and I am looking foreword to see how he gets a pressure chamber to fit. BD.
                        sigpic"Eat your pudding Mr Land"
                        "I ain't sure it's pudden" 20K

Comment

• tmsmalley
                          SubCommittee Member
                          • Feb 2003

Fantastic George and Dave -

Fantastic George and Dave - all good stuff!

Hey Geo - are you still playing? If so, you should have some club gigs coming up for Christmas and New Years. Back in the 70s when I was in a band - I always hated the holidays - only because I couldn't be with my family and GF at the time - now I miss it!

Comment

• bigdave
                            • Feb 2003

Thanks you! Mr Smalley Sir!!
                            BTW-

Thanks you! Mr Smalley Sir!!
                            BTW- The Crazy Man is still a long haired hippy belting out the tunes!
                            sigpic"Eat your pudding Mr Land"
                            "I ain't sure it's pudden" 20K

Comment

• crazy ivan
                              SubCommittee Member
                              • Feb 2003

Yep, as BD said, we're

Yep, as BD said, we're still at it. (check out http://www.nightowlband.com//index.html.) We have a Christmas party gig at the Rochester Yacht Club this Saturday, but that will do it for the season. We gave up on New Years Eve years ago. As you said, too intrusive on our personal lives.
                              sigpic

-George Protchenko

Comment

Working...
                              X