Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ralph --- SSBN 598
    • Oct 2012

This foam you used, was it ALL added below the waterline?

There can be no foam above the waterline in model submarines or you need bigger ballast tank(s).

Comment

• Dolfin
      • Jun 2020

@Ralph
      Oh,thanks Ralph. My mistake I have two big ones underneath of the decks and two smaller in the saddle tanks being the half of them is above the waterline �� I thought it would help the stern a little bit to raise.

In the picture of BD, the boat is on the waterline. I would like to know whether it is with balloons and where the lead and styrofoam are.

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
        • Oct 2012

Balloons or foam or lead?

If you start at waterline trimming, the the ballast balloon must be filled with air before you start.

If you start submerged then the ballast balloon must be empty.
        You can add lead and foam until you get the trim you want.
        Periscope just above the water or the top of the tower just up by say, 1/4".
        More lead requires more foam.
        Trick is to add lead then foam at just below the waterline until you get what you want.
        The more lead, the more foam.
        This gives a more stable boat on the surface.
        But getting the lead and foam right when submerge will let you know if you have enough balloon air to get to waterline.
        If the balloon is more than needed (a good thing) you can adjust the air you put in the balloon.
        If the balloon is not enough to get to waterline, you will need more balloon volume.
        -------------------------
        Way back at the beginning, I would trim on the surface then submerged.
        This cause me to fight a battle I usually did not win and had to start over.

Then someone wiser than me, said to trim submerge with lots of lead and foam first.
        Then work on surface trim because then you only have to work on the ballast volume.

Ever since that day, trimming has became a much easier job.

Comment

• Dolfin
          • Jun 2020

Hi,
          @Ralph, thanks for the good explanation. I think in my case it would be better to start trimming from the beginning. Removing the foam above the waterline and so on.
          Greetings

Comment

Working...
          X