• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dolfin
    • Jun 2020

Revell typ VII/41 RCABS (Big Dave) build

Hallo friends,

When Revell released the Type VII 1/72 submarine I decided to build the boat static diving. I bought the Dave Welch conversion kit in 2007 yes 2007 and i had no idea how it works. The kit was in the basement (no time due my job)until the beginning of this year, but now it was time I started to build.
    It started with a fault with the two motors (small Mabuchi or so) the motors were too weak because of the double seals. Next failure I bought two small geared motors which were too slow again. I came up with the idea of a brushless motor with a gear like the Brüggen Conversion. The first brushless inrunner was too strong above 3400kv the seals were extremely hot. I read about brushless in rc subs max 1400kv so I found the right one now i am very happy with it. Is a Roxxy outrunner and Roxxy ESC which is programmable forwards and revers.
    I made the seals twice opposite because of the vacuum pressure so I thought.

There is relatively little air in the bladder, is that enough? Does anyone know? I'm thankful for any help

Here a few pics and video

Click image for larger version

Name:	EAEA9745-B05C-4339-91D4-A348D055C521.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	138100https://youtu.be/kpLyMM4iv2Q

Name:	2AB16D61-2B4C-4815-8454-7964D9672A4C.jpg
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	138101

Name:	38277F19-830A-458A-97BE-13BAC30B2FE2.jpg
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	138102Click image for larger version

Name:	CD1883A5-8F38-42F5-A915-DCEE6FEC7AFD.jpeg
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	138103 Click image for larger version

Name:	EAEA9745-B05C-4339-91D4-A348D055C521.jpg
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	138100
  • salmon
    Treasurer
    • Jul 2011

I thought Big Dave systems started with bladder filled and pumped air into cylinder. Just the opposite of what you got going there.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Dolfin
      • Jun 2020

Hi,
      Are you sure? I’m a little bit confused now how it will go. I can remember in the description that the air from the WTC goes into the bladder and it gets vaccum inside when you open the schrader valve it sucks the air back. I hope I’m right?
      Now I have to look for the CD that came with the kit. I hope I find it.

Best regards

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
        • Oct 2012

I have this system in my George Washington 1/144.
        Dolfin, your observations are correct.
        There is a vacuum pump in the cylinder that pumps air from the cylinder in to the bag.
        A Schrader valve is opened the vacuum in the cylinder pulls the air back in to the cylinder from the bag.
        The vacuum in the cyulinder also hold the end caps on.
        -------
        If the air started in the bag and was pumped in to the cylinder, the pressure build up would pop the end caps loose sinking the boat almost emediately unless there are retaining bolts or something to hold the end caps on under pressure.

Comment

• Dolfin
          • Jun 2020

Thank you! Ralph
          I am glad that everything is correct. There is relatively little air in the bladder, do you think that's enough?

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
            • Oct 2012

I have a Schrader valve on the front of the cylinder to access the power switch.
            The black plastic parts are so I can get hold of the end cap to remove it.

I also use this valve to suck ot the air in the cylinder removing all air from the bag.
            This is the state which the boat is trimed to top of sail above the water when not moving.
            The turn on the vacuum pump to fill the bag to surface and raise the boat up to the water line.
            Any air in the bag when the Schrader valve is opened and the vacuum empties the baga is air you have to ballast to dive with extra weight.

Boat shown without the bag which sits above the center section of the cylinder.

This is a Dave Welch cylinder.

Comment

• Dolfin
              • Jun 2020

Wow, thank you so much. There are very good features very helpful. How you suck it out with an air pump? As I can see the valve from the Schrader let you only blow in? Or I’m wrong?
              The plastic parts are a very good idea because with a screwdriver in not really a good option.

Greetings

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
                • Oct 2012

I have a short piece of fuel hose and there is no parts inside the Schrader valve on the end cap.
                It is just a tube with threads for the valve cap.
                I fact I drill the inside of the valve body a little bigger to get my custom key in to operate the on/off switch.

Last edited by Ralph --- SSBN 598; 07-05-2020, 02:52 PM.

Comment

• Dolfin
                  • Jun 2020

Ok, I understood now and from there you suck out all the air from the bladder with a tube which you can connect.
                  Sorry about so many questions from me I’m almost a newbie. I’m reading a lot and learning more and more. So I can not be frustrated and the hobby is more fun.

Many thanks take care.

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
                    • Oct 2012

Everyone starts some where.
                    Your questions are no different than mine where some 30 years ago.

Comment

• secrtwpn1
                      SubCommittee Member
                      • Feb 2003

Wait! What? It'll take 30 years to figure these subs out???????

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
                        • Oct 2012

Farlan, that would be a "No" because so many before have figured out all the little details required and they can answer the questions.

We just need to ask questions and listen to those who have been doing this for so long.
                        We have Will, Mike and a few others to help in our little group.

My first working sub was built about 1991 or there abouts.
                        Late 60s and early 70s, I service in the submarine service, mostly in the yards during overhaul.
                        BAck then the model systems where based on the real boat systems.
                        Your Blueback is a high pressure gas ballast system. (much like real boats)
                        The eal boats had an advantage on trimming because they had ballast trim tanks.
                        One forward and one aft that water could be transfered back and forth to keep the boat level and used for depth control after the main tanks were completely flooded by adding water from sea or pumping overboard to sea.

I happen to have the system, Dolfin is working with and I will share what I can to help.

I got in to these boats about the time Freon was banned and a replacement had not quit been worked out, yet.
                        So I did not go with high pressure gas.
                        I went pumps both water and air and now I am going pistons.
                        Though I am having issues trying to make a piston sytem for a
                        small boats with small cylinders.

Comment

• Dolfin
                          • Jun 2020

Hallo,
                          Testing the WTC in the boat fits perfect

Name:	FDA530BD-39FF-480C-864B-AEF9551DF220.jpg
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	134754Click image for larger version

Name:	96364B9E-42AB-417B-9BDD-5EC38557C86F.jpeg
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	134755

A view with decks I’ll connect the front and rear deck with magnets. I think the middle deck I’ve to screw because of the bladder.

Name:	3017A1B3-54F7-4591-9FAB-A303827442E3.jpg
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	134756
                          Now I need the Dumas dog bones couplers for the prop shafts because I have to slide the WTC to the rear to get it out. I have to order 4 from Bob.
                          @Ralph do you think I can instead of the Schrader valve a 1/8” brass tube to suck the air out, because I have no switch inside but I really like this idea. How I suck it out? Connecting a silicon tube?

THANKS a lot Ralph you’re really helpful.
                          TAKE CARE

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
                            • Oct 2012

A brass tube will work.
                            You wilkl need to have some sort of cap for it to seal the water from getting in.
                            Remember, this system pulls a vacuum in the cylinder and that will try to pull water or air in to the cylinder when the bag is filled.

I use the tire Schrader valve because it has a threaded cap to seal the tube and I can get caps with a rubber wash in the cap that does the sealing.

Comment

• salmon
                              Treasurer
                              • Jul 2011

Check out this site and see which version you have. I am confused because I have mine set up as a Reverse-RCABS.

Not sure if it makes a difference or if the seals are put in differently with the different versions. Best wishes on your sub.
                              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...
                              X