• PETE witham
    • Nov 2018

LA class sub

Click image for larger version

Name:	9A2F7755-7F4D-46FB-9976-0721C7025B9B.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	137469

Hi my name is PETER I am 15 years old and I have been into the hobby for 2 years I acquired this la submarine that I have half completed could any body give me a idea of what radio systems and dive systems to get
    Thanks for your time
    PETER
  • u-571
    • Dec 2008

Hi peter
    welcome
    you may want to show others more pictures of the insides what has been done to it. This way people, can help you even better .

This will help other builders assist you even better.
    Jim
    Last edited by u-571; 11-20-2018, 06:09 AM.

Comment

• u-571
      • Dec 2008

Hi peter
      im not to familiar with that submarine but im sure someone, will direct you with the correct type of radio. and the correct type of WTC, you will need .

BTW sub looks nice .

Jim

Comment

• sam reichart
        Past President
        • Feb 2003

Peter-
        It's nice to see you posted here!
        OK... who's LA is that model? If you could post some additional photos, both inside and out, that would help.
        Are the diving surfaces attached? (rear planes, rudders, etc.)? Do you have the prop already mounted on the shaft, and is that secured inside the hull? Do you have the control linkages installed to move the rudders and planes?
        Also, what is the size of the model? That will help assess what size ballast system you will need.

Comment

• salmon
          Treasurer
          • Jul 2011

Welcome Peter!
          Glad you are posting here.
          Who manufactures your LA? What scale is it?
          As far as radioes go, a 75MHz radio is what most of us use (legal in the US), it can penetrate water. The modern 2.4GHz radios will not penetrate water very far (inches if you are lucky). If you go the route of 2.4GHz, you will need to always have several inches of antenna left above the surface. Several vendors that advertise here have some radios for sale. The other option is eBay or other used markets. While some submarines can be run with 4 channels, 6 or 8 channel versions are better or necessary.
          What WTC to use? That is a little tougher to answer. Why? Because there is not one type that all uses. It is like saying I want pie for Thanksgiving, people might think you mean pumpkin, but for me it may mean something else. Wow, I think I am hungry.....
          The reason I asked about scale is it will tell us the size of your sub and what room you have for a WTC.
          Are you familiar with the types of systems out there? Static verses Dynamic? If not check out our beginners area at

To help we need to know where you are at and what you have done so far. Not because you are 15, but all of us needed help when we started in this hobby. I still need help and I am.....well, older.We will help you step by step as best we can. There are several builds or WIP (works in progress) here and other sites. I also recommend joining a meeting or fun run we have around. It is a chance to see what others are doing and ask questions.
          I am sure others will jump in for more information!
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• PETE witham
            • Nov 2018

Hi every one thanks for helping me

I bought the sub from marks model bits http://www.modelboatbits.com/
            The sub is 53 long and 5 beam
            The dive planes on the sale are not functional
            The rear dive planes are in a mess after I tried my best to get them on with glue
            The propeller I was having a bit trouble with I will add some pictures in
            The top and bottom hull had a part I needed to saw which I got help of my grandad to do
            I’m not to sure how to fit the top hull with the bottom hull
            Also there is abit of a problem with the end of the top hull as it is slightly shorter than the bottom one
            I think I have put the Ruders in well but I’m still not sure I will also add photos of them
            I was able to get some radio gear that the man I bought the sub of said I should get

Thank you for the advice
            From peterClick image for larger version

Name:	8E5DEB1B-891E-4C01-BD39-22B0AA7CA7DB.jpg
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	132022Click image for larger version

Name:	BA3D5BAB-7984-47B8-A230-FA281187A85C.jpg
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	132023Click image for larger version

Name:	140E6478-8AE3-45D5-A2D6-0DD4D48A3F9E.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	132024Click image for larger version

Name:	140E6478-8AE3-45D5-A2D6-0DD4D48A3F9E.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	132024Click image for larger version

Name:	51399A62-F7B8-493F-B463-8D4C0B7BBDAC.jpg
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	132025Click image for larger version

Name:	51399A62-F7B8-493F-B463-8D4C0B7BBDAC.jpg
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	132025Click image for larger version

Name:	142D7BA8-C2A2-46B2-84EE-5317C6DC56CB.jpg
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	132026

Comment

• salmon
              Treasurer
              • Jul 2011

Peter, Are you based in the USA or UK? I want to be sensitive to your location due to your age. However, there are groups across the world that we can get you in touch with. If you are in Europe or outside of the US, you have the benefit of 40MHz to use and they are still available!

So, do not worry about a mess, that can be cleaned up later. Let us pick the first spot to work on, rudders.
              Here is a picture of my Skipjack being built:

Name:	Skipjack aft workings.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	132027
              or my Walrus:

Name:	Walrus Connectors.jpg
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	132028

Name:	IMG_1708.jpg
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	132030
              or here is one, done by David Merriman for the Blueback:

Name:	DSCF7287.jpg
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	132029
              You might be seeing a pattern.....The shaft on most of these is 1/8" or about 3mm. A simple hole drilled through is sufficient (some may put a bearing in - could be as simple as a tube the shaft will slip into). My walrus is a x-tail, but an LA can be done the same where a horn is attached to each shaft and then a rod connects to it. The other examples show a different way (there is not a right way or wrong way). Now I have skipped a lot of information. Please tell us what you do not understand and we can further explain.
              Gluing parts on require some work, patience, and using the right glue. Do not use 5 minute epoxy. It will soften in use. CA (Cyanoacrylic) or super glue can be used, but the best is long curing epoxy of 1 hour or longer. You will need to prep the surface.
              If Sub-Driver forum was up I would point you to some of the builds there, but search here for LA builds or any sub. The planes, rudders, and prop are similar among the builds.
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
                • Oct 2012

Welcome, Peter.

I tend to make all my parts if I can.

Here is another method of making the rudder and planes control yokes using brass rod and wheel collars.
                I used 1/8" brass rod for the rudders because they are free standing.
                No support on the ends.
                I used 1/16" brass rod for the planes because they do have support on the ends.

========
                The rod going through the yokes is to keep them straight during soldering.

Comment

• sam reichart
                  Past President
                  • Feb 2003

Looks like the dealer he got the boat from is UK based. I don't see it on their website; I was hoping to get some tech data from there.
                  It looks like the part of the hull that would cover the tail topside is missing?

Comment

• PETE witham
                    • Nov 2018

I live in a city called Sunderland in the UK

also just an idea how difficult or easier would it be just for it to be a surface runner

thanks again for the help

Comment

• PETE witham
                      • Nov 2018

I have also been to a model boat club in my area which I rarely attend to as my Mam and dad are mostly at work

Comment

• PETE witham
                        • Nov 2018

Also earlier I sent the wrong link from where I got my sub from sorry

Comment

• salmon
                          Treasurer
                          • Jul 2011

Sam good point, Peter, when you say 53 long is that 53 centimeters or inches?
                          Peace,
                          Tom

Comment

• PETE witham
                            • Nov 2018

I believe that it is inches but I’m not to sure I will double check it though

Comment

• PETE witham
                              • Nov 2018

The sub is
                              57 inches or 145cm in length

Comment

Working...
                              X