• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salmon
    Treasurer
    • Jul 2011

I got to jump in here......again.
    Ed, who said you do not have a real submarine? I'll beat him up (no karma here, LOL)....I have seen postings by a few people that are arrogant enough to think that having an antenna out of the water disqualifies the submarine rather than focus on what IS important, getting people involved. This slice of the RC hobby is one of the most difficult I have ever done (Did boats, planes, off-road, etc.). It is a small group, but what we do not want to do is make it even smaller. It is like genetic code and breeding programs, if the pool is not big enough a species will die out. Truly, I am sorry you got grief Ed.

With 3D printing I see more youth printing static models of subs....cool, that is a great start. The seed is planted. When I was a VERY young boy (5-7 years old), my grandfather made submarines for my brother and I. These were made out of wood and nails for missile doors, REAL lead on the bottom (probably real lead paint too) and tin planes and rudder. The body was turned on his lathe. The sub was just barely positively buoyant. You would throw it in a pool and it would travel long distances before surfacing. I would play with that until it would not rise anymore because the wood absorbed water and became negatively buoyant. Then it would need to sit out for several days until the water evaporated. My point is, it took another 20+ years before I attempted to get into the hobby. Failed, but the timing was not right (bought a Darnell Type VII - which is back in my possession to be finished). Now it is the right time. Pirate is spot on, Pinterest is a way to go, there are other ways. If you are good at that, post away. I also think casting, mold making, wood working, CAD, and all aspects should be revisited and shared again and again.

Maybe we should start with the 30+ year olds and when they build their subs their children will be inspired. It is a long term goal and not ANY immediate return.
    Cory, I love the engineering aspect. Not just for women, although from the forums I visit, women account for .0005% of the postings, but for all students. Wouldn't it be great if we had a section that has dedicated teachers who would help here on a thread? It would, but we need people to volunteer. That is the problem. Many of us need to look at ourselves first.

There is a condition that I fight (and I suspect others too), it is called "old farts syndrome". After you build a few subs and life happens, you answer the same question 1000 times, people do not look for the answer, the time to take photos and post (and add meaningful text), you see great starts in building only to see the project others are doing get shelved or forgotten, you build something (like Ed said about Arduino - although I am certain the poster who talked about the pre-made board intended in any way to hurt Ed), you invest a lot of but the lack of support is discouraging which feeds into why post and take that time? I am a loaner by trade and stepping out like this is always a stretch for me, - the love of this hobby pushes me. I still post and still share and still help, I just have to be careful not to let the negative outweigh the positive. Maybe we need to work on ourselves and help creative newbies like Cory. Cory, I enjoy your enthusiasm, it is infectious! Lift up the old long timers like Ed and support the new comers, share the love and support of the community. (stepping off soapbox)

Originally posted by pirate View Post
    There’s an interest for nearly every skill the club members hold. Casting. Mold making. Wood working. Plug making. CAD drawing, etc. take pictures and post every little thing you do with text that promotes the club and the seeds will grow. #subcommittee, #submarines, #modelmaking. Do it today!
    Can't agree more.
    Last edited by salmon; 07-29-2020, 11:58 AM.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
      No one
      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by roedj View Post
      All,

I've included a link to a fellow who built a "submarine" out of pop/soda bottles.
      Is it a toy? YES.
      Does it look like a real sub? KINDA/SORTA.
      Is it cheap? I THINK SO.
      Is it clever? VERY
      Does it function like a real sub? ABSOLUTELY - and it's a static diver to boot.
      Am I suggesting it should be a SC group project? NO - but it should get your creative juices flowing.
      Could it be made more real? SURE - if you have the time and money.

#How To #Make A #Submarine ✅ - From Plastic Bottles - #DIY ProjectsDiagram:-https://www.instagram.com/creativemind57/1.How to make a Car | Amazing DIY Toys 4...

You're welcome,

Dan
      NOT a toy....

1-He purchased separate, unrelated components, most if not ALL are repurposed from their original function.
      2-Tied them together to create a working system, with little to no plans other than those paper napkins you sketch on. He ENGINEERED A SYSTEM.
      3-Took said system and tested, possibly each subsystem as he built, but defiantly performed some sort of final test upon completion.
      4-Successfully ran this never before built concoction of household materials successfully.

No, this is NO toy.

Which comes to the heart of the matter...again. What are you willing to do REGARDLESS of the subject matter?? (Ray Mason scratch built what looked like a Steampunk Toilet Tank Float)

Let's get real everyone, ponder the following test question:

1-Bruce is bored, done it all. He's a billionaire who happens to live above a cave. Spots a group of yokels diving RC Submarines in a local pond, one strangely familiar dude with a weird ass grin and a purple suit.
      Doing some research online he calls some other dude named Bob Martin, ask's him to provide him with a fully operational 7' Disney Nautilus so he can chase the dude in the purple suit's model. Paypals Bob $6k.
      Now he races after the weird-ass smiling guy...day AND night. He shoulda' got Logan Martin's sub.....

2-Johnnie is done with flying, too many returns from the field with nothing but a box of parts. He remembers a group from a booth held at the now defunct WRAM show....ah yes, the SubCommittee. Gleefully he goes online and finds them. After several months with his new found knowledge, he scores a 1/72 Sturgeon hull from the Scale Shipyard, and a 3" MSD from the Nautilus Drydocks with all the fixin's. About 6 months later with a local Subron Group he enjoys flying underwater, with his new found shipmates and an unmistakable glowing sense of accomplishment.

3-Kate has just received her undergraduate degree at MIT, and scored a great job at Northrup Grumman Undersea Systems in Maryland. She's stoked to be in the field. Doing some research on line she stumbles across the SubCommittee! RC Sub's...huh?? Since she loves what she does, she decides to design and build a TRIESTE to send a GoPro down at her local pond. She makes the masters, builds a hull, works out power, ballast, command and control, propulsion, programs 1/2 dozen Arduino boards for different functions. A masterpiece of Engineering. Dives the local pond only to find the GoPro can't make out what's two inches in front of it, but feels that accomplishment anyway.

So I ask you, which is the toy? Which DESERVES to be the toy?

Ask with your mind, not emotion.

Bonus questions....

1-Which would be a kit?

2-What if Kate made it out of Lego? Would that change what it is?

None of this is meant to define anything, or imply that I am. Just asking a question.
      Last edited by QuarterMaster; 07-29-2020, 01:24 PM.
      v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
      NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
      USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS KRAKEN-USS PATRICK HENRY-HMS VENGEANCE-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• salmon
        Treasurer
        • Jul 2011

Ed, move to Nevada....I want you as my neighbor!
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...
        X