Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• donsrat
    replied
    Matt excellent work. Excellent detail always liked that boat.

Leave a comment:

• sam reichart
    replied
    Originally posted by thor View Post
    Hey Sam. I've had really good luck with the Ron Perrott 70mm WTC (R&R Engineering). Ron has worked up a custom cylinder for the Blueback & Kilo kits. The craftsmanship is top notch!
    I went ahead and posted up on the SubCommittee Facebook page about the model; the links to this set of posts, and to R&R’s site. Can’t wait to see the final model!

Leave a comment:

• thor
    replied
    Tom-Wow. Thanks so much!

Leave a comment:

• salmon
    replied
    An amazing sub, I have seen several Bluebacks run and they are truly fantastic. Matt, you have made this classic into a show piece. I know David Merriman did some amazing work on it, but I do not believe that got transferred to you, so you took it and made another great sub. Your hulls are amazing and the quality is not beaten by anyone. This is a hull to own.

Leave a comment:

• thor
    replied
    Thanks for the extremely kind words, Jeff! It means a lot coming from you!

Leave a comment:

• thor
    replied
    Hey Sam. I've had really good luck with the Ron Perrott 70mm WTC (R&R Engineering). Ron has worked up a custom cylinder for the Blueback & Kilo kits. The craftsmanship is top notch!
    Last edited by thor; Yesterday, 12:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jefftytoo
    replied
    This is the kit you want—either to add to your fleet if you’re an old salt, or ABSOLUTELY to start your fleet as a beginner. This boat was purpose-designed for beginners to radio-control submarining by Dave Manley back in the ‘90s. My own—purchased and built back then—still runs reliably and impressively today! She’s a simple design, rugged, dependable, easy to maintain and, quite unlike some beloved r/c boats, swims like a fish. She’s small and portable too: in a proper carry case, she can fly to sub events around the country. (Take it from someone who knows.) A big thank you to Matt Thor for bringing the opportunity of owning and running this superb boat to a new generation!

Leave a comment:

• sam reichart
    replied
    Hi Sam-Yes, there are 1/16" carbon fiber rods in the stern fins, 1/16" brass rods in the stern planes, & 3/32" brass rods in the rudders. This resin is pretty tough stuff. I think it will hold up very well.

The two 1/16" carbon fiber rods in the stern fins are used to align the appendages onto the hull properly. Once they are secured the carbon fiber rods in the open hull space are cut away to allow the controls and propeller shaft can be easily installed.
    As I expected… engineered to last. Great stuff, Matt. The original Blueback from Dave was a super popular kit; I expect this iteration will be just as popular, if not more so.

What’s the recommendation for the ballast system?

Leave a comment:

• thor
    replied
    Hi Sam-Yes, there are 1/16" carbon fiber rods in the stern fins, 1/16" brass rods in the stern planes, & 3/32" brass rods in the rudders. This resin is pretty tough stuff. I think it will hold up very well.

The two 1/16" carbon fiber rods in the stern fins are used to align the appendages onto the hull properly. Once they are secured the carbon fiber rods in the open hull space are cut away to allow the controls and propeller shaft can be easily installed.

Leave a comment:

• sam reichart
    replied
    Here is a shot of the appendages and the scopes/shears. Carbon fiber rod is inserted inside each of the masts to make them very robust. The carbon fiber rod is provided. I have not received the brass propeller from the manufacturer yet, but the kit includes a beautiful, scale propeller for the kit. I will post it up as soon as I have it in hand.

They look fantastic. Are there any reinforcing materials in the appendages, or is the resin robust enough to withstand bumps and scrapes?

Leave a comment:

• thor
    replied
    Here is a shot of the appendages and the scopes/shears. Carbon fiber rod is inserted inside each of the masts to make them very robust. The carbon fiber rod is provided. I have not received the brass propeller from the manufacturer yet, but the kit includes a beautiful, scale propeller for the kit. I will post it up as soon as I have it in hand.

Leave a comment:

• thor
    replied
    Thanks very much, Sam! The 100 F+ temperatures are making it tough to do much in the shop right now. As soon as it cools down I'll get the hull molds completed and then get the first batch of kits off to Bob.

Leave a comment:

• sam reichart
    replied
    Wow, Matt. That boat looks spectacular. Fantastic detail on the hull and sail. When’s it going to be ready for release?

Leave a comment:

• thor
    replied
    After a few delays, the Small World Models 1/96th scale USS Blueback has been completely reworked and is nearly ready to mold up. The only item requiring molding is the hull. All of the other components are 3D resin printed out in extra strength resin. There is still a small amount of cleanup to do but it is very nearly done. Here are a few photos for you to review.

​​
    Last edited by thor; 07-23-2024, 06:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• thor
    replied
    The detail is not showing up in these photos because the scribe lines and other details are covered in wet resin. A few minutes in the alcohol bath will clean them right up!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X