• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seahorse
    SubCommittee Member
    • Mar 2005

Bob, I appreciate your response...

My initial comment was just input / questions, nothing more and it was not meant to criticize or pick apart the work of the committee that designed and implemented the new forum. But trying to communicate through a website, some may take the input as criticism when it’s really not… I’m sure all of us has experienced that at one time or another.

I think if you searched on any of my former responses, you will not find any criticisms from me to anyone on here.

I know what it takes to pull off this tremendous task. I have worked remotely with committees and independently to implement IT systems for the last 35yrs so I know the magnitude of work behind the scenes to ensure everything goes as close if not right on as to what was communicated. If any feedback comes in, all I can do myself is work as best as I can to answer any questions and or assist someone to get them in the direction that they need to go in.

If this is the direction of the SubCommittee, then be patient, teach us, open our minds to what you guys have envisioned and not take input as criticism. We are all here learning from each other, no matter what the subject may be.

On the SubRon vs the Regional Chapters, this was just a question nor asking to change anything. When I first joined the SubCommittee I had no clue as to what a SubRon was until the guys/gal in my group explained things as I came on board. If the SubRons are being replace by Regional Chapters, then it is what it is… not a big deal

Thanks for what you guys do…. have a great day

Comment

• crueby
      • May 2015

Amazing how when someone asks for a change to the new forum layout how it gets responded to with such anger. Just because some people would like to see it done another way is no reason to jump back down thier throats. We are asking if its possible to make a change, and you come back that 'where were you when we asked for input?" - well, since you never showed us anything about how it was going to look, how the heck could we have given input???

Enough with the holier than thou crap.

Comment

• thor
        SubCommittee Member
        • Feb 2009

I can tell you from experience as the SC President for two terms that this is a VERY tough crowd to please. Bob is 100% correct that the forum was a mess. We knew it at the time but did not, initially, have the funds, time, or skills to update the forum. At the time we were focused on keeping the SC out of bankruptcy and transitioning the SC from the Print magazine (I still get hate mail on this one) to digital. We knowingly let the Forum ride along as it was so we could work on other issues.

I think the forum update was handled about as well as it possibly could have been. We now have more functional, more capable forum software and it's up to date! With our positive support, patience, and little tweaking it will get to where most will be very happy with it. I have offered to help move things around organizationally and do what I can to support our leadership team. That offer still stands. The leadership team has a very tough job. I am glad this group of guys is there and was able to pull off the massive undertaking it was to get the new forum installed. Thanks, Guys!
        Regards,

Matt

Comment

• sam reichart
          Past President
          • Feb 2003

Originally posted by thor View Post
          I can tell you from experience as the SC President for two terms that this is a VERY tough crowd to please. Bob is 100% correct that the forum was a mess. We knew it at the time but did not, initially, have the funds, time, or skills to update the forum. At the time we were focused on keeping the SC out of bankruptcy and transitioning the SC from the Print magazine (I still get hate mail on this one) to digital. We knowingly let the Forum ride along as it was so we could work on other issues.

I think the forum update was handled about as well as it possibly could have been. We now have more functional, more capable forum software and it's up to date! With our positive support, patience, and little tweaking it will get to where most will be very happy with it. I have offered to help move things around organizationally and do what I can to support our leadership team. That offer still stands. The leadership team has a very tough job. I am glad this group of guys is there and was able to pull off the massive undertaking it was to get the new forum installed. Thanks, Guys!
          Matt has hit the nail on the head here. You can't please everyone, and this crowd is no exception. And again, asking for volunteers to help in the past has been akin to pulling teeth. Once, again, here's someone that has spent a ton of time supporting this organization in the past, and now he's volunteering AGAIN. We now have over 4100 people on the SubCommittee FB page; my hope is that some of these folks will consider helping out where needed.

Also, if I didn't make myself clear before, thank you to the current leadership team for getting this software up to date. My expectation was what I think Bob just stated; the upgrade had to start somewhere, and with thought and planning, the boards can only get better for everyone.

Comment

• dono
            SubCommittee Member
            • Feb 2003

Bob,
            Change can be good, my suggestion would be to have a post which shows
            the major changes from the old software to the new software,
            so everyone can find what they are interested in.

For example, you eliminated all the SubRon group threads and combined
            anything that was in those threads under Regional Chapters.

We at SubRon 8 are an active SubRon and to get people interested
            in our hobby we like to post pics and info of our events. So as not to
            clutter up the “upcoming SubRegatta thread, we would post it in the
            SubRon 8 thread. (which does not exist anymore)

We are not saying that the change in Web Software was a bad thing,
            but you need to have a an announcement thread where the Subcommittee members
            can see where the the “old “ threads are now located.
            (not all of them, just the major ones.)
            And please be open to to suggestions.

Don Osler

Comment

• sam reichart
              Past President
              • Feb 2003

Team -
              how hard would it be to add the "Like" option (next to "Quote"/"Flag")?
              thanks,
              -sam

Comment

• bob the builder
                Former SC President
                • Feb 2003

Point well taken on many fronts. I appreciate those of you who are genuinely trying to help make this a better platform for our organization and not just knee-jerking armchair criticisms.

I'm going to leave sweep some offense that was taken at previous comments under the rug and simply move on with a fresh start, beginning with the suggestion that was made to create a list of modifications that were made to the organization of the forums. Look for that in the "Forum Tips and Tricks" section soon.

I urge those who are concerned over the changes to give the new format a try before levying judgement. There were reasons that things were done. While you may not agree with them, they now form the foundation for the new forums. They may change back, they may not, but just also bear in mind that while you may feel your way is best, that view may not be shared by everyone else. Our organization is around 300 members now, with more users than that using these forums. For the most part, it is a handful of people who post, those being the most vocal or comfortable sharing opinions and information. A general consensus here may not even reflect the needs and wants of our group.

Stand by for more to come.

Bob Martin
                SubCommittee President
                The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• bob the builder
                  Former SC President
                  • Feb 2003

Originally posted by dono View Post
                  For example, you eliminated all the SubRon group threads and combined
                  anything that was in those threads under Regional Chapters.

We at SubRon 8 are an active SubRon and to get people interested
                  in our hobby we like to post pics and info of our events. So as not to
                  clutter up the “upcoming SubRegatta thread, we would post it in the
                  SubRon 8 thread. (which does not exist anymore)
                  Okay, I get where you're coming from, but help me understand, Don. You're saying that people will not be able to find your post concerning a SubRon8 event in the new Regional Chapters section because it's not in it's own sub-channel?

Combining all of the SubRon/Com posts from the beginning of 2022, there are a grand total of 43, including the one that I just posted talking about best practice posting. Do you feel that it is likely that a post from SubRon8 would get missed if someone checked, say, once a month (meaning they'd be wading through about 10 posts at our current posting rate)? Also, bear in mind that is total posts, not new topics. The amount of new topics per month is likely closer to one or two, which means it would be basically impossible for a new thread to be missed if someone checked.

I'm honestly trying to understand where the concerns lie so that we can address them. I'm just not seeing the need unless I'm missing something major.

Bob

The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• bob the builder
                    Former SC President
                    • Feb 2003

Originally posted by sam reichart View Post
                    Team -
                    how hard would it be to add the "Like" option (next to "Quote"/"Flag")?
                    thanks,
                    -sam
                    Erm... I'm confused. I see it there, and I just hit "like" to Don's post and it's showing up as 1 now as opposed to the 0 it read before. Can you be more specific about what option it is that you're looking to tie to the like button?

Bob

Comment

• crueby
                      • May 2015

Originally posted by bob the builder View Post

Erm... I'm confused. I see it there, and I just hit "like" to Don's post and it's showing up as 1 now as opposed to the 0 it read before. Can you be more specific about what option it is that you're looking to tie to the like button?

Bob
                      I dont see any Like option either, just 'Quote' and 'Flag'. Does it require some setting elsewhere?

Comment

• crueby
                        • May 2015

Okay, I get where you're coming from, but help me understand, Don. You're saying that people will not be able to find your post concerning a SubRon8 event in the new Regional Chapters section because it's not in it's own sub-channel?

Combining all of the SubRon/Com posts from the beginning of 2022, there are a grand total of 43, including the one that I just posted talking about best practice posting. Do you feel that it is likely that a post from SubRon8 would get missed if someone checked, say, once a month (meaning they'd be wading through about 10 posts at our current posting rate)? Also, bear in mind that is total posts, not new topics. The amount of new topics per month is likely closer to one or two, which means it would be basically impossible for a new thread to be missed if someone checked.

I'm honestly trying to understand where the concerns lie so that we can address them. I'm just not seeing the need unless I'm missing something major.

Bob

Not sure if this is the reason for the request, but I could see a new person coming in and wanting to see what subrons/coms/chapters are out there, and if they see one close to them, to look back at the posts just for that group, more than just recent ones, to see what all that group is up to. It wouldn't make the home page really long, would it? To have another layer under Regional Chapters, I mean?

Comment

• sam reichart
                          Past President
                          • Feb 2003

Bob
                          Hey Bob,
                          you may have something visible in your settings that allows it, but I don't see the "Like" button anywhere, and nowhere in my "Settings" to turn it on. I used the location reference next to "Quote"/"Flag" because that's where it's located on the Nautilus Drydocks site.

Comment

• salmon
                            Treasurer
                            • Jul 2011

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 1.03.15 PM.png
Views:	60
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	148232

So I do see the like on my login. I wonder if it is a behind the scenes setting, maybe because I am an admin on this site?? Certainly worth looking into.
                            Peace,
                            Tom
                            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• sam reichart
                              Past President
                              • Feb 2003

Originally posted by salmon View Post
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 1.03.15 PM.png
Views:	60
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	148232

So I do see the like on my login. I wonder if it is a behind the scenes setting, maybe because I am an admin on this site?? Certainly worth looking into.
                              Peace,
                              Tom
                              exactly what I was thinking. make me an admin temporarily, and I'll let you know if I see the option.

Comment

• bob the builder
                                Former SC President
                                • Feb 2003

The new forum pulled all of the existing settings from the old board. It looks like everyone can see and use "reputation" (which is what the like button drives) except SubCommittee members. After about 45 minutes of research and hunting for the setting, I think I found it. Did the button show up for you guys?

Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X