Former SC President
    • Feb 2003

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-04-25 111711.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	148134
    Here is what I was referring to:
    The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• crueby
      • May 2015

Originally posted by bob the builder View Post

Name:	Screenshot 2022-04-25 111711.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	148134
      Here is what I was referring to:
      That shows new topics, not new posts to old topics like the old forum had in a side panel.

Comment

• bob_eissler
        SubCommittee Member
        • Aug 2005

The line above it. Click on Articles.

Comment

• crueby
          • May 2015

Originally posted by bob_eissler View Post
          The line above it. Click on Articles.
          What? That shows articles, not recent forum posts!? You keep talking about Articles tab - that just shows a handful of articles, completely different than recent posts to the normal forum threads.

I am asking that a feature that was front and center (well, off to the side of the page) of the old forum be added to this newer software. Show a list of recent posts. Is it possible or not??
          Last edited by crueby; 04-26-2022, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• donsrat
            SubCommittee Member
            • Jan 2004

I don't know who came up with the new website but they have 0 knowledge of how to organize a web site so it is easy and makes sense. As I have done web UI's in the past I know full wee you cater to your users. Try dealing with the Marine's.

Comment

• salmon
              Treasurer
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by donsrat View Post
              I don't know who came up with the new website but they have 0 knowledge of how to organize a web site so it is easy and makes sense. As I have done web UI's in the past I know full wee you cater to your users. Try dealing with the Marine's.
              Great! Are you willing to volunteer and help us manage the web site and forum? We need you.
              It is easy to criticize, but we sure did not have many jump in and help. This was a update that has been talked about for years (like at least 5 years). It. is accomplished. That being said, we have only. had this new set up for a short time. We need to build our knowledge base up. The forum was many, many versions behind in updates. Things have changed. So please give us a break. If you do not like what we are trying to do, please throw your hat in and volunteer. This is your organization. For the past year we have been asking for your input.....we got cricket sounds in response.

So, will it always look like it does now? I do not know. Not if we can help it. The software is vBulletin - if you have expertise in it, we need you.

O.K. going to the side bar.......And I am learning along with you.....
              Here is what my screen looks like if I am in New Topics:

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 3.28.18 PM.png
Views:	87
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	148148

No side bar on the right, but if I click on the word Forum on the Forum tab I get this:

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 3.28.48 PM.png
Views:	103
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	148149

I get a side bar. Do you get the side bar? Is this the quick update you are talking about?

Peace,
              Tom
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• bob the builder
                Former SC President
                • Feb 2003

Originally posted by donsrat View Post
                Understanding the frustration that some people have with the new layout, I can see why you'd feel this way. Actually attacking a group of volunteers who are only working to improve the organization with no compensation or word of thanks is completely another thing.

I implore you to think again before disparaging the hard work that was put in to bringing this first iteration of the new forums into being.
                The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• seahorse
                  SubCommittee Member
                  • Mar 2005

It would have been better to design the site and let us members view and suggest changes before going live, then all that seems to be in disarray would eventually be worked out.

Change is never easy and always difficult to implement, but hopefully the suggested changes from the recent feedback will eventually reshape the website into something that will work for all of us.

One of the sections that needs some work is the Regional Chapter News.

Topics is way too general, every former post from a SubRon group now is lumped into one group which makes it difficult to weed through to find the specific SubRon you are in and any former posted information from that group. Can we return back and separate the groups?

Also, are we eliminating the word SubRon and we are now called Regional Chapters ?
                  Last edited by seahorse; 04-27-2022, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• sam reichart
                    Past President
                    • Feb 2003

No one seems to understand how out of date the vBulletin software was for the forums, and how much work it was bringing it to current version.

Echoing what Bob has posted, if you've got suggestions, or better still, have time to actually volunteer to do some work on improving this site, then now is the time to step up. The problem of a handful of people running everything behind the scenes for this club is NOT a new issue. It doesn't have to be a full time job to help the Executive Committee manage things.
                    Last edited by sam reichart; 04-27-2022, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• crueby
                      • May 2015

Originally posted by salmon View Post

Great! Are you willing to volunteer and help us manage the web site and forum? We need you.
                      It is easy to criticize, but we sure did not have many jump in and help. This was a update that has been talked about for years (like at least 5 years). It. is accomplished. That being said, we have only. had this new set up for a short time. We need to build our knowledge base up. The forum was many, many versions behind in updates. Things have changed. So please give us a break. If you do not like what we are trying to do, please throw your hat in and volunteer. This is your organization. For the past year we have been asking for your input.....we got cricket sounds in response.

So, will it always look like it does now? I do not know. Not if we can help it. The software is vBulletin - if you have expertise in it, we need you.

O.K. going to the side bar.......And I am learning along with you.....
                      Here is what my screen looks like if I am in New Topics:

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 3.28.18 PM.png
Views:	87
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	148148

No side bar on the right, but if I click on the word Forum on the Forum tab I get this:

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 3.28.48 PM.png
Views:	103
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	148149

I get a side bar. Do you get the side bar? Is this the quick update you are talking about?

Peace,
                      Tom
                      Yes - I get the side bar showing. But, what I was asking for was a change as to what is IN the side bar to make it like the old forum had. It used to be that there was a list of the most recent half dozen or so posts to any topic. Now, there is just a list of new topics, but not the most recent posts. That made it a lot easier to quickly see what has happened that day, without having to go through every sub forum.

Comment

• crueby
                        • May 2015

Hang on - you guys changed something, now it IS showing a list of recent posts - that was not there before!!

Comment

• crueby
                          • May 2015

One other thing that several members in my area asked about - there used to be sub-headings for each area, now those posts are all grouped under Regional Chapter News. What about putting the chapter sub-headings back? Makes it easier for members, new ones especially, to find out whats happening near them.

Comment

• bob the builder
                            Former SC President
                            • Feb 2003

Originally posted by crueby View Post
                            One other thing that several members in my area asked about - there used to be sub-headings for each area, now those posts are all grouped under Regional Chapter News. What about putting the chapter sub-headings back? Makes it easier for members, new ones especially, to find out whats happening near them.
                            Yes, I managed to find the module that allowed us to show recent posts. You're welcome.

Everyone is complaining about not being able to find anything, but did you ever stop to really look at the home page of the old forum? The regional chapter news alone forced you to scroll and scroll and scroll down past dozens of empty or nearly empty channels. The forum home page was a mile long.

The Regional Chapter thread will now house all updates and news from any and all chapters. We rarely got posts to any of those topics, people. To allocate 60% of the home page real estate to something that is not being used is, frankly, stupid. Yes, you won't as easily be able to find old posts as they were not following the new naming methodology, but is that an issue? How often do you need to go back and look at a post from your SubRon from five years ago?

I'm not saying no, but unless a solid case for segregation of chapters can be made, I can't see any need for separate channels for every SubRon/SubCom

Comment

• bob the builder
                              Former SC President
                              • Feb 2003

Originally posted by seahorse View Post
                              It would have been better to design the site and let us members view and suggest changes before going live, then all that seems to be in disarray would eventually be worked out.
                              Have you ever tried to create something by committee? Remotely? You managed to get everyone to agree, did you? Nice and smooth, everyone on side with no disagreements? I'm sorry if you guys felt out of the loop, but everyone here (everyone) knew that we were working on updates to the website and forums. You had needs and ideas? Excellent! Where were they?

It's easy to pick apart the work of someone else in hindsight. It's much harder to step up and take responsibility for making something happen. We now have the foundation for a new version of the forums, just as we will have the foundation for a new version of the website soon. Things can be changed, but we needed something to build on or we would still be on the old version of the forums with another six months of polls, debates and questions before we got anywhere close to rollout.

Change is never easy and always difficult to implement, but hopefully the suggested changes from the recent feedback will eventually reshape the website into something that will work for all of us.
                              Agreed, with all except "work for all of us". I'm sorry, but that just isn't going to happen. There is no way to appease everyone. Some of the most vocal people here may represent only a tiny fraction of our membership. We need to be mindful to the needs of all.

One of the sections that needs some work is the Regional Chapter News.Topics is way too general, every former post from a SubRon group now is lumped into one group which makes it difficult to weed through to find the specific SubRon you are in and any former posted information from that group. Can we return back and separate the groups?
                              No. Now that the migration is done, there is no way to revert back unless it's done manually.

Also, are we eliminating the word SubRon and we are now called Regional Chapters ?

Yet another joy of dealing with the past. There is no standardized format for regional groups. Some are SubRons, some are SubComs. Please remember, not everyone is sub-saavy, and none will know what a SubRon or SubCom is. "Regional Chapter" is simple and easily understood. Local groups are still SubRon/Com's. That hasn't changed. The only thing that has is the channel name on the forums.

Bob

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                                No one
                                • Jul 2003

Originally posted by seahorse View Post

One of the sections that needs some work is the Regional Chapter News.

Topics is way too general, every former post from a SubRon group now is lumped into one group which makes it difficult to weed through to find the specific SubRon you are in and any former posted information from that group. Can we return back and separate the groups?

First off, WE, never before in the History of the SubCommittee, held OPEN Exec Meetings inviting all Members. 1 or 2 people showed.

WHERE were you and all the other complainers??

For the record...WE RAN UNOPPOSED because no one wanted to step up. Apparently you do now from the safety of the Arm Chair.

I already see several names I'm nominating next year for EXEC Positions.

Also, maybe we should split the "Chapters" Forum back up, especially if YOU agree to Monitor, add and remove Chapters as they come and go. Agreed??

For the Record, the 1st Chapter was called SUBCOMEAST thereby setting the precedent, SUBRON came later because someone thought it was cute to mimic the US NAVY's use of Submarine Squadron. Technically a SubCom is better because at least it has some ties to SubCommittee.

FWIW, I'm sure we'll be all happy to change it back and hand back the reigns.

Continue to do what you did, you're going to get what you got.

Certainly wouldn't phase me.

v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                                NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                                USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS KRAKEN-USS PATRICK HENRY-HMS VENGEANCE-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

Working...
                                X