X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pirate
    • Oct 2005

Re: Project 641 Foxtrot Update

Herrmill, I love what you're doing with the aluminum tape. Makes it look like actual panels and the imperfections caused by the tape's glue underneath create neat hammered metal effect.

Where your tape pieces meet each other, do they butt flush against each other on the edge leaving a recessed line between, or do they overlap slightly leaving a raised edge?

Pete

Comment

• herrmill
      • Jun 2006

This isn't my build, but Rick Palumbo's of RPM Tech who we commissioned to develop the Foxtrot kit. I'm only posting details of progress as Rick sends them.

Feel free to contact Rick directly at his blog for any questions or to order the kit: http://www.rpmtech1blog.com

Chuck

Comment

• gantu
        • Aug 2009

Hi chuck see the link this guy make cotum porps very cheap.

Scale brass propellers for model ships

Comment

• herrmill
          • Jun 2006

Rick's in the final stretch before making a mold this week.

Here are some examples of "oil canning" done to the hull. Frame stations seen under the skin from bouncing up against the pier, wave action, etc...

We're seeking consensus now from those interested in the kit if this this nasty enough looking like a Fox during its mid-career stage. Since this is an "open-source project", any & all input is certainly welcome.

Comment

• pirate
            • Oct 2005

I think it's totally awesome guys. Love the detailing of that tape and the ribbing you mention.

My only comment would be to see if you could get that sail to match up better to the hull where it attaches. The gap at the sides seems excessive, especially for scale. Perhaps you are planning to get to that more. If that's the case, then you've got it covered.

Pete

Comment

• herrmill
              • Jun 2006

Pete,

Thanks. I believe Rick has that covered once he includes the deck.

Chuck

Comment

• herrmill
                • Jun 2006

Ricks's put this baby to bed & started with the hull mold today.

Won't be long, boys, before we have ourselves a Foxtrot kit!!!

Comment

• herrmill
                  • Jun 2006

Hull molds are done & production's about to start for those who placed a deposit on the kit once the initial build is complete. Props have been outsourced to one of the best craftsmen in the hobby to speed up production & first glimpse of David's work looks fantastic!

Gantu sent us some new photos for reference on detailing the Foxtrot. For those not on the distribution list send me a PM with your email & I'll be happy to forward the 70+ photos & drawings that I received.

Comment

• herrmill
                    • Jun 2006

Rick sent in a new photo as he prepares to make the tower mold. In case I hadn't mentioned before, deck & vents will be photo etch.

I was privy to several emails on the prop / scopes / mast work that David's doing & have to say what you'll see once the photos come in will blow your socks off!

Comment

• herrmill
                      • Jun 2006

Here are photos of the prop work that's underway by the master himself.

Masts, scopes & other fittings will are soon to follow.

Comment

• herrmill
                        • Jun 2006

Here are a few photos of David's work on the masters for the Foxtrot masts.

You can read David's "cabel report" on the original build thread over at RCG: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 097&page=8

Comment

• herrmill
                          • Jun 2006

More photos from Mr. Meriman of the radar mast. Not bad, eh?

Comment

• herrmill
                            • Jun 2006

Aside from the photo etch decks & vents & the fittings Dave's currently working, the Foxtrot is essentially done.

Here are a couple photos of the buoys Rick sent late last week.

Comment

• herrmill
                              • Jun 2006

To update you folks on the 1/72 Foxtrot kit, Rick has been waiting on photo etch from one of his sub-vendors & David's fittings to complete the kit.

As some of you already know, David is buried up to his neck in torpedo kit production for Caswell while Rick's busy with a half-scale V2 rocket project for a well-known aerospace museum. I've heard rumors of a hit being placed on the PE source, but those are strictly unsubstantiated & cannot be confirmed at press time.

Stay tuned... its coming, boys.

Comment

• herrmill
                                • Jun 2006

For those patient enough to wait, David sent out an email today advising he's back on the project & expects to have tooling completed within the next few weeks. Here's an excerpt & photos from his email for those not on the mailing list:

A number of months ago I took on the job of producing the 'fittings kits' for this product. After considerable delay, I'm back on the job and will prepare a proper Cabal Report on the continuing effort, where I'll better detail the work.

As you can see, I'm going whole-hog on this project. A number of decades ago a ship I was on, towing a barge across the Mediterranean, was shadowed by one of Omar's FOXTROT's, so this boat is near and dear to me...

Anyway, I'm putting the rest of the holiday in on this project and hope to have tooling by the first week of the new year.

Thanks for hanging in there with me, guys.

David,

I'm excited to see that the kit is getting closer to completion. Feel free to contact Rick at RPM Tech for more info.

Comment

Working...
                                X