X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bill harris
    • Sep 2009

Thanks, I've been following the

Thanks, I've been following the discussions on thos project here and elsewhere, and have a good idea of the level of documentation that has gone into this hull. I'll get the drawings/photos/resources when I get started on the boat. It'll be next year-- I'm an ole pensioner on a budget and things sometimes go slowly.

I am interested in being on the distribution list, PM sent.

--Bill

Comment

• herrmill
      • Jun 2006

Project 641 Foxtrot Update - Tower

Here are a couple shots of the tower in progress.

Note the large torpedo behind the Foxtrot in the 2nd photo. Rick's also been working on a 1/6 Neger kit that will be coming out shortly. Imagine the possibilities with a torpedo in that scale...

Comment

• bill harris
        • Sep 2009

Beautiful boat. There is something

Beautiful boat. There is something stylish about these old non-teardrop subs.

I notice that Rick has a new Foxtrot menu item at his RPMTech website http://www.rpmtech1.com and I got in line tonight...

--Bill

Comment

• herrmill
          • Jun 2006

Great to hear, Bill.

I

Great to hear, Bill.

I was chatting with Rick a short while ago Skype & he's keen on delivering a very detailed & complete kit. If you saw what he recently posted on his blog, you'll understand why we're excited about this project.

Chuck

Comment

• bill harris
            • Sep 2009

I'm fired up, too. This

I'm fired up, too. This is my first "big" sub and it will likely be a couple of years before I finish it, but I thought it would be a good idea to get my order in early. The level of detailing is impressive with lousy soviet welding and oil-canning.

We're probably still looking at 3-4 months down the road on delivery of the hull since this is still in the R&D phase of the project. I've been waiting for the Foxtrot project to go "official" on Rick's website. I like his disclaimer on his website:

I will need time to finish this model, so if your impatient please do not reserve one. Also if you plan on bugging me once a week as to when you can expect your kit, do not place a deposit. I work pretty fast but I also have other things to do besides this kit.

Comment

• slats
              • Feb 2003

Re:

The third prop directly behind the rudder should help it turn a lot tighter than a Type XXI. Does anyone know if the outer shafts are parallel or splayed out at angles like a Type XXI.
              Andy,
              pretty much paralleled from plans I have.
              You could just get away with one working central screw. I think it will turn well with the rudder behind.

J

Comment

• herrmill
                • Jun 2006

Re: Project 641 Foxtrot Update

Regarding the WTC & running gear, there are several options to use. Several of us, myself included, had been considering a dual prop setup that would allow interchanging one WTC with other subs we have. Not sure which way I'll go at this point since Rick's system does look sweet.

Comment

• slats
                  • Feb 2003

Many ways Chuck.
                  No doubt some will power up all three.

From my experience on the 1/72 Oberon -(which is almost identical dimensions - shape of course is different), the 2.5" Diameter cylinder will give you the best fit. A three inch tube will fit but you might experience problems of not enough space below the WTC. Doing so in the Oberon meant I had a problem of bouyancy from the WTC at the lowest point in the hull - I had big stability issues that were only overcome by a 2.5" diameter.

The 2.5" tube will cause problems in mounting three geared motors within the WTC - can be done I am sure though.
                  I was thinking you might double duty a twin screw 2.5" from another sub - maybe the Gato. Or run 1 shaft into a wet gear box to the outer shafts.

J

Comment

• bill harris
                    • Sep 2009

Time to start thinking about the details of the Foxtrot build. Having seen RPMTech's Kilo kit, I'm sure that Rick has covered many of the scale details on this sub. But the Foxtrot many grills like this on the hull, and I's suppose that this is a perfect application for photo etched parts and time to learn how to do that. I've done etched PC Boards before, so it's not a great leap.

--Bill

(Image from a great photo walkaround site! http://www.ipmsusa2.org/Walkarounds/05- ... /page.html )

Comment

• herrmill
                      • Jun 2006

Nice photo, Bill. Yes, the kit will come with plenty of photo etch to cover the type of detail shown here.

Rick's been taking a breather in-between catching up on production work combined with a short holiday so I expect new photos of the tower to be coming soon.

Comment

• bill harris
                        • Sep 2009

With this type of creative work, which has to have periods of intense concentration on details, I also imagine that time-out spells are a necessity. This is a business for Rick, and not a hobby as we enjoy it. Big diff.

I'm kooking forward to the pics of the tower.

Yes, the plastic model site has a great Foxtrot walkaround. Evidently an old boat tied up at a museum pier somewhere. Real-life wear and tear.

--Bill

Comment

• herrmill
                          • Jun 2006

Here are some new photos showing recent progress on the Foxtrot. More detailing remains to be done including seams, rivits & oil canning.

Comment

• herrmill
                            • Jun 2006

Here is the tower with the exhaust and running lights added; sonar dome on the bow.

Comment

• rpmtech1
                              • Nov 2008

Forgeddaboutit... all 3 screws will be turning via 1 geared motor. And yes the WTC is 2.5" with 1.5" twin piston tanks. 2.5 will allow a scale waterline thank god, cause there is NO room left for nada!

I just sent out a ton of photoetch plans to my guy, so there will be ALL the cool details

Comment

• herrmill
                                • Jun 2006

Re: Project 641: Prop Master

Here's a photo of the master used to make the mold for the Fox's prop.

The hull is done & Rick is now starting on the deck which is pretty detailed which will take some time. Once completed, he'll mold and have the hull, props and detail kit ready along with photo etch vents.

Release is slated in the first quarter with WTC to follow later.

Comment

Working...
                                X