Revell Type VII photoetch - any interest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raalst
    • Feb 2003

beware of that e-bay offer.

beware of that e-bay offer. the main picture is probably not
    the Revell kit as the round wintergarten is lacking.
    The aa gun is on the deck itself. it seems to
    depict a VIIa or VIIb.

Comment

Hi Guys,

I live in Germany

Hi Guys,

I live in Germany and got the kit before New Year. I just finished the houl couple of days ago and the deck is mounted in (my guess is I may be able more or less accurately scan it in hires).

I still have conning tower floor not mounted, just painted.

Here is the link to the hi-res scans]http://www.deepwatermodels.com/kits/VIIC/[/url]

I could provide exact size in millimeters ( ) upon request.

I may take some pictures of the ready part if you are interested in getting one more impression.

I also could help to buil the pool of the orders if somebody will take care of sending few sets to Germany. I will simply sell them on eBay. I am not shure if I need one for myself. The quality of the kit is quiet good.

I am not going to make any improovements on the parts right now, just get everything as it is and make some pictures.

If you are desperate of geting parts, I may buy the kit and send to US everything, exept the houl (it is really too big if not splited into 3 parts). The shipment would be about 15 USD.

please feel free contact me at boris@atomictuna.com

Regards,

Boris

Comment

• koeze
        • May 2003

The deck
        Front part and rear

The deck
        Front part and rear part
        middle part of the deck
        Both images in 300dpi
        Both images inlude rulers to confirm scale.
        Rulers are metric, slide rule is metric/imperial

EJK

Comment

• JWLaRue
          Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
          • Aug 1994

Folks,

I am seriously considering moving

Folks,

I am seriously considering moving forward with this project and have done enough preliminary work to see that it will be viable.

The photos that folks have posted are greatly appreciated and will assist me in getting started, however I am a bit leary of basing final drawings on just photos due to possible distortion.

Question for folks who have the kit]now[/b] before I invest a large amount of time and money into the project. I do not wish to be surprised after the fact as I was with the recent announcement (by safrole) of a competing product in what is really a limited market.

-many thanks,

Jeff
          Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• sam reichart
            Past President
            • Feb 2003

Jeff-
            as you and I have

Jeff-
            as you and I have discussed- I think the addition of extras (aside from the decks) needs to be given consideration as a separate project.

White Ensign was the only other deck I knew of...and I believe they've backed off. I agree with you- this would be a small enough (although popular) market to have more than one set of components available.

Also, I would expect you to secure a deposit from customers (full or partial) to secure your investment of time and materials.

Sam

Comment

• raalst
              • Feb 2003

WEM would not include a

WEM would not include a deck, but it *will* release a
              PE set !.

Comment

• charlemagne
                • Feb 2004

I think that Nautilus Models

I think that Nautilus Models is planning an update as well, soon to be released. It may included a deck as well.

http://www.nautilusmodels.com/

Comment

• sam reichart
                  Past President
                  • Feb 2003

I think that Nautilus Models

I think that Nautilus Models is planning an update as well, soon to be released. It may included a deck as well.

http://www.nautilusmodels.com/
                  I would think they may do a tower upgrade, since they've done that for the USS LIONFISH, but I don't know about a deck....I do know that one of our members, Tom Dougherty, could probably find out. (Ives100@aol.com, I believe?)

Comment

Hi Jeff]http://www.subcommittee.com/forum/icon_biggrin.gif

Hi Jeff]http://www.subcommittee.com/forum/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

• safrole
                      • Aug 2003

I do not wish to

I do not wish to be surprised after the fact as I was with the recent announcement (by safrole) of a competing product in what is really a limited market.
                      My ears were burning.

Jeff, you should come out with this deck. Of course I'm not so foolish as to promise I will not make a particular product, but I am very busy right now with the Robbe U-47 decks. If the U-2540 ever comes out, I will seek an opportunity with that kit next. This Revell kit would right now be a distant third on what is a very long list, timewise. Of course I have considered it but I just don't have time right now and I don't think the numbers are there yet. Once the kit hits the rest of the world and if RC conversion proves feasible, I am more likely to produce a kit. Plus WEM or another PE operation could come out with a deck tomorrow. I don't think the PE vendors are carving up the market to avoid competing with each other. I bet they are working even now to bring their products to market. (So we'd better hurry, too!)

If you come out with a kit, or another vendor comes out with one, it would be all the less appealing for me to follow. The Robbe U-47 was different because of it's huge following abroad, and its growing sales in the US. I meant no disrespect to you or the investment of time you have made into it.

Speaking of investment...

I have invested thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours into my photoetching operation. In this sense I have already paid the "setup charges" for any project I may pursue. The cost for me to run new film for a project is now maybe $10, but that's only because I spent a LOT of money on my infrastructure. Regenerative blowers, vacuum pumps, light tables, tanks, circulation pumps, a process controller, immersion heaters, exhaust fans, chemicals, an overhead hoist, not to mention all the raw brass - if I really wrote it all as a story it would sound fictitious.

No one can expect me to avoid new opportunities when I have such a heavy investment to recoup. I feel this gives me the moral right to sell whatever I can, because I have jumped into this business with both feet. (A fact to which my wife would quickly testify!)

Comment

• JWLaRue
                        • Aug 1994

Hi Safrole,

I do not believe

Hi Safrole,

I do not believe that anyone is trying to say that you shouldn't come out with the products that you feel will be of interest to the hobbyist community and will provide you a good return on your investment. I'm certainly not.

In fact, I applaud your effort! You have done very, very nice work. (This from an admitted anal model builder) ...and don't forget to get that web ad to me for our web site.

My only 'wish' for the robbe U-47 deck would have been for you to contact me first, especially given the exposure that I've seen for this deck....including visibility on at least one German web site. Since I am not in this as a business, I would have been more than happy to work out something with you....including making the source CAD drawing of the finished deck available to you......thus eliminating competition (so to speak).

My upfront, one-time costs are no where near as low as yours, so I am a bit concerned about getting to at least a break-even point on a Revell Type VII deck!

-many thanks,

Jeff
                        Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• safrole
                          • Aug 2003

Jeff and I are considering

Jeff and I are considering a collaborative effort to speed this project along.

If negotiations break down we'll both come here to complain about the other one.

(kidding)

Comment

• stefan
                            • Feb 2003

Hi Jeff,

Which pieces do you

Hi Jeff,

Which pieces do you need to start drawing? I have a second kit that has some transportation damage. I could send you the relevant deck and tower pieces to get started. Once done you can send them back to me, since I will have to get replacement parts anyway for this kit before I start working on it. I am in Canada and it should only take a couple of days if you are interested. Shipping cost is on me.

Let me know if this would help.

Stefan

Comment

• JWLaRue
                              • Aug 1994

Hi Stefan!

This offer is greatly

Hi Stefan!

This offer is greatly appreciated! I'll send you an e-mail, but what I'm looking for are the three main deck sections plus the conning tower deck. I don't think that I'll need the conning tower itself.

-many thanks,

Jeff
                              Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• stefan
                                • Feb 2003

Hi Jeff,

Sounds good. Email me

Hi Jeff,

Sounds good. Email me your address and I will ship it out on Monday.

Stefan

Comment

Working...
                                X