X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salmon
    Treasurer
    • Jul 2011

I use a Foredom that, like Jeff, is on a pole on the bench. I have a couple of hand pieces, but my flexible shaft hand piece is my favorite. It uses a pedal to vary the speed and I cannot imagine not having that ability. The quick release chuck holds 3/32" shaft bits. Returning to topic, I have a set of drill bits from 3/32 on down to ity bitty (that stands for it is small and I do not remember the size) that has the 3/32 shank.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• sgtmac1
      SubCommittee Member
      • Oct 2014

Would it be possible to see a pic of the various tools being used in action? Like a demonstration of technique that I can learn from?

Thanks

Comment

• sgtmac1
        SubCommittee Member
        • Oct 2014

Is this the self tapping bit that you are referring to?Click image for larger version

Name:	self tapping bit.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	128116

Comment

• sgtmac1
          SubCommittee Member
          • Oct 2014

And you use these diamond burr bits to enlarge the hole after drilling a pilot hole? Or do you also use diamond coated rotary disks to trim out two holes to make an oval?

Click image for larger version

Name:	diamond bit.jpg
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	128117

Comment

• JWLaRue
            Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
            • Aug 1994

Originally posted by sgtmac1 View Post
            And you use these diamond burr bits to enlarge the hole after drilling a pilot hole? Or do you also use diamond coated rotary disks to trim out two holes to make an oval?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]989[/ATTACH]
            When working with fiberglass hulls, I only use diamond burs to make the initial, rough openings. I usually select a bur that has a diameter of 1/2 to 3/4 the smallest dimension of the hole to be opened. For example, if I am working gone those pesky U-boat casing slots and they're 5mm by 15 mm, I like to use a bur that is 2-3 mm in diameter.

Once I have the opening roughly cut open, I then use a series of miniature files to open to the actual desired dimensions. Again for U-boats, that would be a flat and round file.

-Jeff
            Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• JWLaRue
              Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
              • Aug 1994

I mentioned earlier that I use of the Dremel Flex-Shafts connected to my hanging Dremel tool. Here's an example of one of the available types:

-Jeff
              Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• bigdave
                • Feb 2003

Here are my Stylus, and my RTX. BD[Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	128119Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	128120ATTACH=CONFIG]991[/ATTACH]
                Attached Files
                sigpic"Eat your pudding Mr Land"
                "I ain't sure it's pudden" 20K

Comment