• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salmon
    Treasurer
    • Jul 2011

Magnetic Plane Connectors

​Bob is working on a submarine from the movie League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, the Nautilus.
    In the discussion, there was mention of narrow hull (I was not careful in reading) and thought that was why he was not going to put some planes in. That got my mind cranking (lots of clattering and noises to get it started - LOL), but I thought of magnets.
    Here was the Crayon drawing:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Crayon Drawing of connector.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	138039

Then I went to Fusion360 and drew out my idea.

Name:	Magnetic Plane Connector 00.jpg
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	138040

Then printed it to test.

Name:	Magnetic Plane Connector 05.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	138041

And assembled

Name:	Magnetic Plane Connector 01.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	138042

Name:	Magnetic Plane Connector 02.jpg
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	138043Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnetic Plane Connector 03.jpg
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	138044

I like this enough to try it on a boat. The hold is better than I thought, however as I was drawing this out I put in a semi circle lip on the push rod connector, that I think would minimize slippage. In this prototype it is too small to be effective, but I can expand it if needed.

*​
    Last edited by salmon; 05-17-2020, 02:17 PM.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
  • subdude
    Official Peon
    • Feb 2003

Tom,

Very interesting! I can see that being quite useful in a small or narrow boat!

Jim
    SubCommittee member #0069 (since the dawn of time.....)

Comment

• thor
      SubCommittee Member
      • Feb 2009

Tom,

What resin are you using? The DLP resin I use is really fragile and wouldn't take the load. You must be using some pretty tough stuff!?
      Regards,

Matt

Comment

• salmon
        Treasurer
        • Jul 2011

Thanks Jim! Testing it and the hold is strong, so it may work really well.

Matt, it is Formlabs grey. Pretty strong stuff. It is durable, I have some gears that I have been playing with that are holding up fine. I have soaked it in water and STP oil and no reactions that I can see. It can be brittle is impacted. Drilling is doable, but may chip near the edges of the holes.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• bob_eissler
          SubCommittee Member
          • Aug 2005

That looks very interesting. The magnets are strong enough to use on rudders and dive planes in a small sub?

Comment

• salmon
            Treasurer
            • Jul 2011

Bob, I believe so. How about I send this out to you for you to test?

Comment

• bob_eissler
              SubCommittee Member
              • Aug 2005

I'm Sure I can find something to put it in and test. Have water in my pool already for sub testing. Do you have my address or do I need to send it to you?

Comment

• salmon
                Treasurer
                • Jul 2011

To be safe send me the address. Thank you, I will send it this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                X