X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wgreeley
    • Jan 2019

Gas Fill Valve

I am rebuilding my old 32nd Parallel Type VIIC and would like to use a gas system. I would prefer not to use LPG or Butane. "Dust Off" and "Super Duster" use a male aerosol valve for their high volume products. Their more expensive products (2X$) use a threaded valve. The only fill adapter I can find is for the screw top cans. Does anyone know of a male aerosolvalve filler?
    Attached Files
  • bob_eissler
    SubCommittee Member
    • Aug 2005

You can buy the bottom valve from Bob Martin. You can buy propel or paasche air brush gas at Hobby Lobby or make your own adapter to use dust off. Use a on-line coupon at Hobby Lobby. Too expensive?

Comment

• jure george
      • Jul 2005

Hi
      Can you show what the adapter would look like to the dust off can?

Thanks

Comment

• tommydeen
        • Nov 2003

Well i used to get duster 134 refill from mG chemicals and it was great but…. They discontinued the refill can(threaded) ugh
        sigpic. You have to ask yourself one question...would the admiral approve

Comment

• m. munger
          SubCommittee Member
          • Feb 2003

Here is my (RedNeckGineering) solution for the cheap warehouse club non-threaded trigger style canned air:
          A clamp-on tire chuck, brass fittings down to 1/16 tubing down to the standard nozzle tubing, with a valve extender (loose piece).
          NOT pretty. Jam it all together, invert the can and squeeze the trigger, cycle your WTC valve. Almost takes three hands.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fill_valve_rig.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	350.6 KB
ID:	149499

Good luck!

Comment

• cheapsub
            • Feb 2011

Something don't make sense to me.

Comment

• bob the builder
              Former SC President
              • Feb 2003

Originally posted by m. munger View Post
              Here is my (RedNeckGineering) solution for the cheap warehouse club non-threaded trigger style canned air:
              A clamp-on tire chuck, brass fittings down to 1/16 tubing down to the standard nozzle tubing, with a valve extender (loose piece).
              NOT pretty. Jam it all together, invert the can and squeeze the trigger, cycle your WTC valve. Almost takes three hands.

Name:	fill_valve_rig.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	350.6 KB
ID:	149499

Good luck!
              So you just jam the tube of the trigger-style duster into the tube with the red heat-shrink on it? It holds pressure okay as you're filling? I am actually excited about this...

Bob
              The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• m. munger
                SubCommittee Member
                • Feb 2003

The red portion is a cut-down piece of the tube that came with the can(s). But yes, "jam" that bugger in I did. I was going for Functional (read: dangerous, "own-risk" kinda thing) versus Elegant. To no surprise, it did shoot off once in an interesting (dangerous might be a better adjective) fashion when inverted. Anyone remember the "Propel" tent at the Regattas? As I recall, we're only talking 15-20psi with the canned air products (just enough to warrant a "Don't do this. You'll put your eye out kid").

Matt​

Comment

• bob the builder
                  Former SC President
                  • Feb 2003

Matt, you inspired me!

Looking to simplify things and make them a bit more robust, I sourced a pre-made air hose with clamping nozzle and fabricated an end that actually screws directly into the duster can itself. Threaded, it won't blow out and it seals perfectly.

This solution was designed for use with the Office Depot duster cans, but might work with others.

Now available here for people not wanting to fabricate their own.

Name:	gasfiller3.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	149938
                  Attached Files
                  The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

Working...
                  X