X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssn705
    • Sep 2013

Re: GUPPY III Conversion - USS TIRU - 1/144

I have put the ribs in on one side of the bow and I am starting to lay in some sheet to build the hull under the superstructure. Hopefully, I will be able to to post some pics tomorrow.

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

• ssn705
      • Sep 2013

Ok, got some pics uploaded.

First, ribs placed into the bow section on the starboard side...

Fit check of the alignment of ribs and central cylinder before the ribs got sealed down for good...

Everything was good with the fit and alignment. Next was moving in to lay some sheet to build the outer hull that will be under the superstructure so there are no gaps when looking through the limber holes. There isn’t going to be any detailing done, this is just to put structure to build on. First, the sheet that will be wrapped to the ribs…

In the picture above you can also see the nubs of the limber holes edges that were left in place. You’ll see more with those in later updates.

Once the sheet was inserted, I wrapped each section into place and built an I-beam on the end to provide extra structure and shape…

That’s all for now.

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

• ssn705
        • Sep 2013

Scooting on ahead on the bow of the TIRU. I got all of the .060 x .060 square rods in place and then sanded down the lip at the bottom of each limber hole. The pictures shows about half of the lower lips being sanded out.

The second pic just shows a comparison of the two sides of the bow. I have trimmed down the edge of the tube doors down and then I scribed the doors and cut out the forward section of each since they have to be corrected. I also put a lug in the forward most limber hole but I still have to cut out the after one. I also knocked off more detail from the tube doors and filled all the small holes in the tube doors and above them. Still need to sand all of that smooth.

I figure I will get the starboard side done and then do the port side so that I can match them up. This has been an entertaining build thus far because it has challenged my norm since I have been kind of flying by the seat of my pants from step to step as opposed to the normal detailed plan of attack. It has also been good to get back to "neanderthal" modelling that doesn't have any complicated tools or power equipment. Just an XACTO, saw and sanding sticks/files.

More to come as I spend a few more days TAD.

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

• ssn705
          • Sep 2013

Nothing worthy of pictures since I am just repeating the work of the starboard side on the port. Also figuring out which tube I will open and how I will do it. I think I will do tube 4 but anything on port is a possibility. Any thoughts. I was also thinking about opening a stern tube but I can' t seem to find pictures. Anybody got pics of open stern tubes on a Guppy?

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

• tom dougherty
            • Jul 2005

Here are two shots of USS Becuna SS319. Guppy II

And one of a Guppy III in drydock][/url]

Comment

• ssn705
              • Sep 2013

Awesome Tom, Thank You, The angle on the drydock one gives me what I needed. Everything I had found thus far had everything in total shadow. Appreciate the assist.

So, yet another period of TAD time is coming to an end and I have boxed up my supplies and submarine. I end my progress for now with a couple shots of the work on the bow. First picture shows the second set of limber holes aft of the forward-most group on the bow. I made a jig to evenly space the guide rods and then I cut and sanded down the holes.

Second picture shows the progress on both sides of the bow especially the fact that I have put a single .060x.060 square rod over second group of limber holes and then I added two .060x.060 square rods on top of the limber holes and first rod extending over the forward group of holes. It all looks very clunky now, but once I get everything ready on both sides of the bow then I can start getting crazy with the sanding implements.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

• ssn705
                • Sep 2013

Of course, after a bunch of searches and Tom posting some useful stern tube pics, I switched the search engine I was using and shuffled my words a little bit and ended up with a handful of useful pictures to add to the stack. Guess I am in for cutting open the stern tube areas and doing a bunch of detailing back there...ugh, does it end?

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

• ssn705
                  • Sep 2013

Took advantage of a night out by my wife and got some work done. Put the kids to bed, threw Dr Who "The Moonbase" in the DVD player and busted out the dremel in the living room. Cleared out the stbd stern torpedo tubes. Not much picture worthy, but it was nice to do some more work.

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

• ssn705
                    • Sep 2013

Back at PD and in comma again after a surprise deployment...basement was finished while I was gone so I can start to set up my work area and get some stuff going...

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

• wlambing
                      SubCommittee Member
                      • Feb 2003

Dave,

Glad to see you surface running again! Always glad to watch your work. Hope we can see you in person sometime soon!

B^)

Comment

• ssn705
                        • Sep 2013

It is certainly good to be back. Got a bunch of work done on the stern tubes over the last few days. Pics are unfortunately stuck on a computer that hates the internet at the moment so once I find a way to upload, I will post them here.

Ch3rs,

Dave

Comment

• ssn705
                          • Sep 2013

Ok, got some pics ready...

So basically I used a dremel to cut out all of the stern tube inserts from the kit since they are just essentially blanked off depressions in the kit...

Then I went about making some torpedo tube doors and tubes to show off. Here they are after intial build. Still some cleaning up to do...

How about some dry fitting to make sure stuff will display correctly...still plenty to do (i.e. trimming, clean up and fine alignment)

Gotta rebuild those areas that I cut out. Break out the plastic sheet and files and Mr. Putty and get going. Still early on, but you get the idea of where I am going...

Still hemming and hawing over whether I want to open tube 4. I have started to prep all the insides, but I haven't made the final choice cut the shutter door out yet. That choice is the delay in closing the bow and the work on the stern tube are is the delay on the stern.

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

• ssn705
                            • Sep 2013

Took the leap and cut out the shutter for TT 4.

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

• ssn705
                              • Sep 2013

Couple pics from the continuing progress...these are about a week old. Should have some newer ones later today.

Initial work on the starboard side for the bow shutter doors...

And the port side with the shutter for TT4 open. Lots of work to be done on the inside...gotta get those holes squared away, very rough at this point...glad I have some very tiny files to slip in there...

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

• ssn705
                                • Sep 2013

Some more progress pics...

Painted out the stern tube areas to check the sanding. Starboard side was good so it got the rub rails added in, port side got re-puttied...

Starboard side got all of it's shutter doors finished...

Port side got some paint thrown down in the open tube area to check the sanding and finishing. Sorry for the poor pic...

And I inserted the actual tube and started making the backing for the shutter area...

All for now,

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X