X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salmon
    Treasurer
    • Jul 2011

Matt, That is really nice. I need to learn how to create hulls from a drawing in Fusion.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• sam reichart
      Past President
      • Feb 2003

That detail on the snorkel head is pretty amazing at that scale.

Comment

• thor
        SubCommittee Member
        • Feb 2009

Here is another update and a huge milestone was reached with this project. All of the 3D CAD work is complete. The sail, scope, shears, and appendages have all been printed out and fit tested. I am very happy with the results, although there were many failures along the way. The hull will go into the 3D resin printer next week leading to the final step of pulling the epoxy mold off of the 3D pattern for the production of kit parts.

My thanks go out to Bob Martin for his very kind patience with me on this kit, as well as the many folks waiting for its release. I think you will be very happy with the end result and how fast this kit will go together.

More to come on the assembly methods we came up with to make this kit go together very fast and accurately.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by thor; 04-15-2024, 06:20 PM.
        Regards,

Matt

Comment

• thor
          SubCommittee Member
          • Feb 2009

Here are a few more model shots from the 3D CAD.

We will be adding a beautifully crafted 5 bladed brass propeller to this kit. It will come standard with a 1/8" bore with set screw.

I hope to have the prototype running in the water at the Carmel FunRun this August.
          Attached Files
          Regards,

Matt

Comment

• FormerlyPetn7
            • Mar 2024

Great work! It's nice to see this classic sub/kit coming back.

Comment

• thor
              SubCommittee Member
              • Feb 2009

Here are a few photos of the hull master printing on the resin printer. The hull master has been split in half into sections approximately 13" long. The two halves will be joined to form a single master.

Regards,

Matt

Comment

• thor
                SubCommittee Member
                • Feb 2009

The first half completed printing overnight. Here it is hanging over the resin bath ready to be removed from the build plate. The second half will be loaded up today and should complete in around 33 hours of printing.

Regards,

Matt

Comment

• thor
                  SubCommittee Member
                  • Feb 2009

The detail is not showing up in these photos because the scribe lines and other details are covered in wet resin. A few minutes in the alcohol bath will clean them right up!
                  Regards,

Matt

Comment

Working...
                  X