X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cliffhanger67
    SubCommittee Member
    • Aug 2015

After reading all the replies here’s what I think that seems realistic criteria.
    Scratch built is a description of the fabrication of the hull and necessary for components specific design and or it’s design. It must start with basic materials such as but not limited to wood, metal, plastic, fiberglass, paper, cloth, i.e. raw materials. It is put together by glue, fasteners. Necessary accessories specific to the hull design needs are for example rudder, cranks, axles, structural parts, booms, rails, similar components. Incorporating tubes, wires, etc is expected as these are sundries one can buy.
    It is understandable the motors, esc, transmitter, receivers, servos, tubes, fasteners, paint, are purchased items.
    Is making a soda bottle or baseball bat hulled boat scratch built? No, novelty yes.
    My two cent quick digest. Thank you all. Now if someone can put together a ruling to abide by on this subject be great.

Comment

• subdude
      Official Peon
      • Feb 2003

Ralph has it absolutely correct. If you're building for some sort of competition, work to that organization's rules. Otherwise, build your boat as you like, and have fun.

There are so many "gray" areas to this discussion that you could argue it forever. I don't really feel we need or want to get into that sort of pi$$ing match. Just as one example, my USS Batfish is based on a 1:48 SSY hull. the ONLY thing in or on that boat that was not built by my hand is that lower hull. So, what would you say? Kit? Hardly. Scratchbuilt? Yeah, except for that lower hull. So, which is it? Cliffhanger, are you telling me that isn't scratchbuilt?

Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	133986

Seriously, in my opinion, who cares? Why start something that will only end with hard feelings with someone unless there is an actual need and purpose. I'll appreciate whatever time and effort you have in your boat, even if all that involved is pulling out your Mastercard.

Jim
      Last edited by subdude; 02-22-2020, 12:55 AM. Reason: add pic
      SubCommittee member #0069 (since the dawn of time.....)

Comment

• feet wet
        • Mar 2003

Jim has made the best point. "Who cares" This is a hobby. It is suppose to make you happy and provide enjoyment, however one chooses to partake in it.

Comment

• chips
          • Feb 2003

Searching through my files for useless info, I found a copy of "The SubCommittee, Inc. Regatta Competition Handbook" dated May 1, 2002. It lists as "Associated Doucments" the IPMS/USA Competition Handbook.

The only mention of scratch-built is under Section 10.1 Static Models. Boats that are intended for R/C operation are not eligible to compete in this category.

10.1.1 Built from kit Models in this category are built from manufacturer produced model kits, The addition of aftermarket and scratch-built parts are acceptable.; however the model must be built predominantly from the factory kit.

10.1.2 Scratch-built Models in this category are to be constructed primarily from basic building materials. Documentation showing construction is strongly recommended. The addition of aftermarket or kit parts used for detailing is acceptable.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
            No one
            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by subdude View Post
            Ralph has it absolutely correct. If you're building for some sort of competition, work to that organization's rules. Otherwise, build your boat as you like, and have fun.

There are so many "gray" areas to this discussion that you could argue it forever. I don't really feel we need or want to get into that sort of pi$$ing match. Just as one example, my USS Batfish is based on a 1:48 SSY hull. the ONLY thing in or on that boat that was not built by my hand is that lower hull. So, what would you say? Kit? Hardly. Scratchbuilt? Yeah, except for that lower hull. So, which is it? Cliffhanger, are you telling me that isn't scratchbuilt?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8229[/ATTACH]

Seriously, in my opinion, who cares? Why start something that will only end with hard feelings with someone unless there is an actual need and purpose. I'll appreciate whatever time and effort you have in your boat, even if all that involved is pulling out your Mastercard.

Jim
            Competition forces growth and advancement, just ask the dinosaurs, or Elon Musk or Boeing.
            v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
            NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
            USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS KRAKEN-USS PATRICK HENRY-HMS VENGEANCE-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• subdude
              Official Peon
              • Feb 2003

Hi Ed,

First, let me say thanks for your participation and input here.

Apparently I am doing a terrible job of expressing my thoughts. I never meant to say or imply that competition had no value or worth. Only that trying to come up with a classification system in a subject that is so varied and difficult to pin down is challenging at best, and really becomes the personal feelings of the judges that day. To try and buttonhole our models into a strict category is quite difficult at best. And, I vividly recall from the "good old days" some people getting pretty upset about not being judged where they wanted to be, and then they vanished. I just don't want to see a repeat of that, I want to see this hobby grow!

Quick example: I participate in a number of auto Concours de E'legance. Classification couldn't be easier. Year, make, model, etc. Then un-restored, or restored. If restored (my car is) it's easy to judge. I have a several hundred page assembly manual that told the factory exactly how to put my car together, right down to the oz of glue to use where, or the degrees from vertical the window crank should be when rolled down. Simple.

I really don't feel personally that we could ever come up with a set of classification "standards" that catch every possibility. But, that's my opinion, and you know what that's worth. If folks disagree, that's fine. No hard feelings, let's have a good, open conversation.

Jim
              SubCommittee member #0069 (since the dawn of time.....)

Comment

Working...
              X