X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Guys,

I have access to

Hey Guys,

I have access to an epoxy product that we use at the boat shop to join our hull and decks together. This stuff has about a 20 miniute work time. To give you an idea of how strong the bond is, once a hull and deck have been bonded and the epoxy is cured, the fiberglass substrates will give way before the epoxy joint will de-bond! I can get them in the 50ml size for around $15 USD but you need a special "gun" as well for $35. But all told this stuff is easy to work with and is tougher than Hades. It states on the side;
    "A structural adhesive suitable for bonding plastics,conposites metals and dissimilar substrates ."
    Sounds like every thing a model submarine builder has to use in a model at one time or another!

Let me know if any of you are interested.

Thanks,
    Lyle

Comment

• thordesign
      • Feb 2003

Gentleman,

After many weeks of working

Gentleman,

After many weeks of working with the Revell 1/72nd Type VII model for conversion to R/C, Lyle Jansma, myself, and the few others that have been involved with the ThorDesign conversion of the model have come to the conclusion that while the conversion is very straight forward and looks like a swiss watch internally, it is not ideal. The kit requires so many modifications to make it seaworthy that is has become, in our opinion, a non-viable product in the market place. Yes, we would probably sell a few, but not enough to make it worth the investment of time and money to complete the conversion. The kit, when finished, would rival, in price, many of the existing larger kits on the market. We are terminating our pursuit of this exercise with that in mind. We are continuing our work to get this business past the garage door and into the mainstream market place. Continuing the efforts to deal with marginally profitable products does not serve the business or the hobby well. We have a few other products in development that will be much more cost effective and profitable. We will leave this project to the few others that chose to pursue it.

Comment

• casey thrower
        • Feb 2003

I'm still waiting on the

I'm still waiting on the USS Skate to become available and with the AtomicSubs webpage not updating in months I don't know what is going on.

Comment

Casey,

Here's a quick update

We

Casey,

Here's a quick update

We sent the Skate off to Dave Merriman for final detailing,and he suggested a few improvements that Matt and I agreed would make for a better kit. The fact that Dave would even "squeezed" me into his busy schedule floored me to say the least!

So, For those of you who have been patiently waiting to see the Skate, I Thank You, it will be worth the wait!

Lyle Jansma

Comment

• d manley
            • Feb 2003

Here is the latest update

Here is the latest update on the progress for the conversion kit at this time.
            Bulkheads and hatch work for the prototype are almost ready for temporary instillation in the hull for sea trials.
            I am waiting for micro receiver to complete the electronics.
            I hope to have it in the water this weekend for trials, and if all goes well (but when does it ever) I hope to have all parts molded and parts cast for shipping by mid may.
            This is a bulkhead and lid/hatch arrangement and will use my trade mark rotary drive servo output and my COOL BLUE Simi transparent color used in my WTC’s.
            The servos are located in a central location just behind the ballast tank and will require linkage to connect them to the rudder and forward dive plane.
            This kit is being designed around the hitec hs 55 servo, micro speed control and micro receiver.
            The kit will be simple to install and will come with batteries, and without, for a cost of 95.00 with and 85.00 without
            Unfortunately, with the cost of micro electronics so high, this sub will still be in the 400.00 range when you put her in the water, but I expect it to be a very fun boat.
            That’s all for now, stay tuned!

Dave

Comment

• safrole
              • Aug 2003

I have access to an

I have access to an epoxy product that we use at the boat shop to join our hull and decks together.
              I have ordered different kinds of urethane which come in packaging as you have described (I think), requiring a double plunger "gun". Also there is a long, swirly mixing tip that attaches to the dispenser.

There are many kinds of urethane, from the rock hard slightly yellow stuff for fixing golf club heads to the clear rubbery stuff I get for doming vinyl decals. Do you know if your product is urethane?

I love the flex of urethane and have always wanted to find a use for it in the hobby room but haven't got around to trying it.

Comment

Working...
              X