• Sep 2005

BowPlane Interlock

New product announcement: Bowplane Interlock

Click image for larger version

Name:	BPI_s.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	136453

The BowPlane Interlock is made for solving a problem uniquely found in model subs with retractable bowplanes: Many retractable bowplane mechanisms will bind up or even be damaged if the planes aren't precisely positioned during the retraction/extension cycle. The BPI solves this problem by sequencing and controlling motion for both the bowplane pitch and retract servos. Upon command to retract the planes the BPI assumes control of your bowplane pitch servo and forces it to a user-defined "clear to retract" position before initiating any movement in the bowplane retract servo. The retract servo is then cycled from the extended to the retracted position and drive commands to the pitch servo are shut off. For added realism the retraction/extension cycle is done at one of three user selectable (slowed) speeds. Until the planes are completely extended again all pitch servo commands are blocked by the BPI. Upon command to extend the planes the reverse sequence occurs - while the planes are slowly extended the pitch servo is once again held at the "clear to retract" position, when the extension cycle is complete control of the planes is returned to the user commanded position.

The BPI can be seen in operation here in Bruce Martin's Revel Gato. A retraction/extension cycle is demonstrated with the planes deliberately left in the full-rise condition to show how the BPI overrides the commanded position during retraction/extension.

The BowPlane Interlock is available from KMc Designs for $35USD. Contact by PM or email KevinMc.Electonics[at-sign]gmail.com.
    Kevin McLeod - OSCAR II driver
    KMc Designs
  • wlambing
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

Way cool, Kevin!!

B^)

Comment

• bharris
      • Jun 2004

That is great Kevin you just solved one of my problems with installing retracting bow planes on my 1/48th scale USS Seadragon, the planes have to be at about 30 deg down before they can be retracted. It was either try to remember, micro switches or let an auto depth control circuit do it if it can be adjusted properly.
      Bob.

Comment

• southern or
        • May 2014

Yeah, that looks great. I might need one for the Typhoon. The Oscar is going to be fixed.

Comment

• KevinMC
          SubCommittee Member
          • Sep 2005

Thanks for the kind words all. Like many others this product is something that was born out of necessity - As many are aware I've been working on a pressure-based depth controller for my OSCAR for a long time, and I needed a way to positively lock out the bowplanes pitch servo in case I left the controller active when the bowplanes were retracted. Solution: BPI!

@Bob - Yes, the "safe to retract" position can be defined as any position within the working range of the planes, so setting it for 30 deg down for retraction is no problem.

For anyone who's going to be at the Carmel Fun Run I will have a bunch of these with me for show and sale.
          Kevin McLeod - OSCAR II driver
          KMc Designs

Comment

• bwi
            SubCommittee Member
            • Jun 2013

That's is great stuff Kevin congrats!

Grtz,
            Bart
            Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
            "Samuel Smiles"
            http://scale-submarine.com/index.html

Comment

Working...
            X