X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mkeatingss
    • Nov 2003

Exhaust Piping

I didn't design the boats, I just rode them. But Back Pressure would be effected more by the radius of the turn, than the angle.
    Drop me an email at mkeatingss(at)cox.net. I'll email you what I have. JPG format OK?

Mike [/b]

Comment

• big jim
      • Feb 2006

Ya'll have offered up a

Ya'll have offered up a lot of facts to support the oval opening theory. I well understand the whys and wherefores of such an opening. However, a look at page 38 of the "U.S.S. Cod WWII Submarine Memorial Photo Museum Guide" clearly shows two perfectly circular exhaust ports.

In all of the other many books in my modest library, I have yet to see a picture of an oval exhaust opening. Granted, pictures of good quality with the exhaust in plain view are very hard to come by. So far it seems to me that a very good case could be made for the circular ports, at least until a photo shows up showing an oval port. Maybe one will show up and we can have the best of both ports. Until then, I'll leave up to those of you that are more educated than myself to come up with some kind of definative answer.

Quick! Someone skim through "Operation Petitcoat" and report.

Comment

• JWLaRue
        Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
        • Aug 1994

I cannot speak for all

I cannot speak for all the fleetboats, but here is a shot of the USS Pampanito that I took while touring her this past January. That's definitely a circular exhaust port....

-Jeff
        Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• jefftytoo
          SubCommittee Member
          • Mar 2003

JeffL,

Nice shot of the island

JeffL,

Nice shot of the island in the background behind Pampanito as well. I think my wife had some family members living there for a long stretch once.

Casey,

As a former Michigander, I've done the U-505/Chicago and Cod/Cleveland excursions myself. In fact, you won't find a nicer-kept boat than the Cod, IMHO. Say hello to Paul Farace (the curator) there for me if you see him. I think his SubCommittee membership has lapsed, so remind him to re-up too! Anyway, if you're skirting the southern edge of Michigan between your stops in Chicago and Cleveland, try to take the extra hour or two to run up the west coast of Michigan to visit Silversides (SS-236) in Muskegon. Been there as well, and she's a grand ol' gal. Nice gift shop too. (The extra few hours is only travel time, of course. Once you get there you'll want to hang around a while!)

Green board,
          Jeff Porteous

P.S. Love them round exhaust ports. (Silversides concurs.)

Comment

• casey thrower
            • Feb 2003

Thanks guys. Jeff, I'm going

Thanks guys. Jeff, I'm going to try and get in some time near the iron boats and take some pics too. My wife said she wanted some sites other than boats, , but I may try and see the Silversides too. Too bad the DRUM in Mobile is in such sad shape. You can't even get up to the sail like the COD. The DRUM is a rusted mess. I guess when Katrina hit it took a lot of their budget to fix the ALABAMA. Most of the planes are destroyed too.

Comment

• ricknelson
              • Dec 2006

A couple of points regarding

A couple of points regarding the exhaust plumbing:

1. There are two objects; one is the hole in the superstructure that the, second, the tail pipe exits through. See Figures below:

These photos of the Pampanito in drydock before and after painting show the hole in the side superstructure and the tail pipe lip sticking through.

2. The Pampanito is a Balao class not Gato (our subject of interest).

3. The Drum is a PNSY built boat, not an EB built boat (which the Cod is).

4. Casey, when you visit the Cod ask them if the muffliers and tail pipes are still installed or have they been removed. Since the doc I refererenced includes the Cod's hull number I have no explanation for why the supestructure holes appear round. Also, take a measurement of the diameter, please.

Comment

• goose814
                • Jul 2004

I believe that the early

I believe that the early Gatos originally had a separate exhaust for the auxiliary diesel but later this was eliminated to reduce the number of hull openings. I noticed this on the Cod. Her auxiliary diesel exhaust tees into the port engine exhaust in the engine room. That's why there is no separate exhaust port in the superstructure.

Comment

• big jim
                  • Feb 2006

Thanks Goose, as I didn't

Thanks Goose, as I didn't see a separate aux. ex. in the Cod book.

Comment

• ricknelson
                    • Dec 2006

Apparently some Gatos made the

Apparently some Gatos made the aux. diesel exhaust change and some didn't. I have a photo of the USS Grouper, SS-214, coming out of MI July, 1945 and she still has one aux. diesel exhaust. The aux. diesel is located in the fwd. engine room and the exhaust is forward of the fwd. engine room diesel #2 exhaust on the port side of the superstructure.

Early Gatos had two aux. diesels, one in each engine room, exhausting on the port side. During the war most boats had one of the aux. diesels removed, in some cases both.

Just another one of those things that made fleet submarines as unique as fingerprints.

Comment

• wildspear
                      • Mar 2008

Re: A sub is a "holy" place

Hi Casey,

The Gato, SS-212 had at least 70 hull openings, not counting all of the limber holes, etc. My suggestion, if you are interested in adding all of the hull openings, is to go to The Floating Drydock web site (www.floatingdrydock.com) and under the "Bu" document listing get the Docking Plan for the Gato. It will identify all of the openings in tabular form and then on an outline drawing of the boat. Money well worth spending if you are going for accuracy. I'm finishing up a 1/180 version of the Grouper, SS-214, and have included all of the hull openings. I think it adds a nice touch to the project.
                      I have the Gato World War Two PLAN eBOOK on order. I've decided that the wife and I are going on a road trip this summer to Cleveland to see the USS COD and then Chicago to the U-505.

And to michigan for the USS Silversides SS-236???

Comment

• g2tiger
                        • Feb 2003

Any chances you have some

Any chances you have some good shots of the Cod not found else where?

Comment

• wildspear
                          • Mar 2008

I have some good shots

I have some good shots of the Silversides exhaust if you need them.

Comment

• big jim
                            • Feb 2006

Here are a couple of

Here are a couple of photos that I took of the U.S.S. Pampanito this past week. Notice the difference between the round forward exhaust port...

and the oval aft exhaust port.

Comment

Silversides

Here is a picture taken of the Silversides in Muskegon. I have more of the boat if you need them, just let me know.

Thomas Wierenga

Comment

Working...
                              X