X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • casey thrower
    • Feb 2003

Size and location of exhaust?

What are the size and location of the exhaust openings on the 1/72 Gato? Any other openings that I need to know about thats not on the Revell?
  • ricknelson
    • Dec 2006

A sub is a "holy" place

Hi Casey,

The Gato, SS-212 had at least 70 hull openings, not counting all of the limber holes, etc. My suggestion, if you are interested in adding all of the hull openings, is to go to The Floating Drydock web site (www.floatingdrydock.com) and under the "Bu" document listing get the Docking Plan for the Gato. It will identify all of the openings in tabular form and then on an outline drawing of the boat. Money well worth spending if you are going for accuracy. I'm finishing up a 1/180 version of the Grouper, SS-214, and have included all of the hull openings. I think it adds a nice touch to the project.

Comment

• casey thrower
      • Feb 2003

Re: A sub is a "holy" place

Hi Casey,

The Gato, SS-212 had at least 70 hull openings, not counting all of the limber holes, etc. My suggestion, if you are interested in adding all of the hull openings, is to go to The Floating Drydock web site (www.floatingdrydock.com) and under the "Bu" document listing get the Docking Plan for the Gato. It will identify all of the openings in tabular form and then on an outline drawing of the boat. Money well worth spending if you are going for accuracy. I'm finishing up a 1/180 version of the Grouper, SS-214, and have included all of the hull openings. I think it adds a nice touch to the project.
      I have the Gato World War Two PLAN eBOOK on order. I've decided that the wife and I are going on a road trip this summer to Cleveland to see the USS COD and then Chicago to the U-505.

Comment

• ricknelson
        • Dec 2006

Well, neithor the Floating Drydock

Well, neithor the Floating Drydock ePland book nor a visit to the Cod will allow you to see over 90% of the hull openings. They are all below the water line, except for the exhausts. You would have to go see the Drum as she is out of the water but she is a PNSY boat, not an EB boat. You need to decide which lead-yard boat you are interested in.

Be sure to check out the auxillary diesel exhaust on the port side. It should be between the two engine exhausts. Gatos started out with two auxillaries but the forward engineroom aux. diesel was removed part-way through the war.

Comment

• casey thrower
          • Feb 2003

I'm really just interested in

I'm really just interested in what you can see up top above the waterline. This is a static boat and will be in a case when I'm done. I bought some 5/16 tube and wondered if that was the right size for exaust.

Comment

• big jim
            • Feb 2006

Be sure to check out

Be sure to check out the auxillary diesel exhaust on the port side.
            Rick,
            Is the ePlan book more detailed than the hard copy book from 1990? The hard copy book shows about where the exhaust ports are but give no dimentions and also doesn't show the aux. exhaust.

Comment

• casey thrower
              • Feb 2003

Be sure to check out

Be sure to check out the auxillary diesel exhaust on the port side.
              Rick,
              Is the ePlan book more detailed than the hard copy book from 1990? The hard copy book shows about where the exhaust ports are but give no dimentions and also doesn't show the aux. exhaust.
              Jeff LaRue says in another thread that the disk has a few more things in it than the book.

Comment

• JWLaRue
                Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
                • Aug 1994

Yup...and the photos are of

Yup...and the photos are of better quality. Same photos, but they don't suffer from the printing process.

-Jeff
                Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• ricknelson
                  • Dec 2006

I concur with Jeff LaRue's

I concur with Jeff LaRue's comments regarding the ePlan book. The only disadvantage to the ePlan book (I have both) is the ability to search. At least for me it is always easier to "thumb" through a book than a CD.

However, if you want the final word on submarine configurations and dimensions I still highly recommend the drawings available on Tom Walkowiaks' Floating Drydock web site. I struggled to pull dimensional data off of the Plan book pictures/diagrams and others and wasn't too far off in most cases. However, when I bit the bullet, so to speak, and purchased some of the BuShips drawings from Tom things really started to fall into place very nicely. Especially since there has been so much confusion over flood ports; size, shape, and location. Quite an education too.

Comment

• JWLaRue
                    Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
                    • Aug 1994

Oh...and you can print out

Oh...and you can print out the individual photos as well. Makes for some great workshop reference material.

-Jeff
                    Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• big jim
                      • Feb 2006

There seem to be some

There seem to be some discrepancy between the drawings and photos of the exhaust ports. All of the drawings that I have show the exhaust port as an oval shape. All of the pictures that I can find show the ports to be a circle. I still have no idea what diameter these ports are.

Comment

• casey thrower
                        • Feb 2003

That's my problem. Location and

That's my problem. Location and size. I bought 5/16 tube that looks right but I wanted to be sure before I proceed.

Comment

• ricknelson
                          • Dec 2006

Diesel Exhaust measurements

Using the document numbered "Bu-SS212-23" from The Floating Drydock which is titled, SUPERSTRUCTURE DECK & SIDES MAIN DECK-Fr.72-Stern, EB, BuShips #388652, SS212-227, 240-264, I measured the Main Diesel Engine Exhaust openings to be 15 1/4" wide by 12 3/4" high. The Auxiliary Diesel Exhaust opening measures 11 1/2" wide by 9" high.

The plan view shows the muffler exhaust pipe makes an approx. 70 Degree bend from the centerline before it enters the exhaust opening. Therefore, the pipe is NOT perpendicular to the side of the superstructure and the need for a slightly elliptical opening. This may vary with other Gato builds than the ones the document references. I do not have the drawings for a PNSY built Gato.

At 1/72 scale a 5/16 tube would represent a 22 1/2" round pipe. I think this is might be too big to represent the diesel exhaust pipe for a SS212-227, or SS240-264 EB built Gato. A 3/16 tube may be better.

Comment

• mkeatingss
                            • Nov 2003

Exhaust Piping

Navpers 16160 Ver B gives the diameter of the piping as 15" (Fifteen Inches).
                            Since it did not make a full 90 degree turn , to exit the casing, it penetrated the casing at some what less than 90 degrees in the horizontal plane and a slight downward angle (in the vertical). Depending on the actual angles (I'm still trying to find out what it was), the opening would be slightly oval.
                            But, don't get too comfortable with this. A couple of my buddies have suggested that "some boats" may have had a piece added, to the end of the piping, to complete the 90 degree turn. That would return the opening to circular.
                            Hmmmm. You think,maybe, the 3", 4" or 5" gun isn't the only variable on the Gatos?
                            Mike K

Comment

• ricknelson
                              • Dec 2006

90 Degrees?

I don't see any advantage to making a 90 Degree bend vs. a 70 Degree. If anything it would cause greater backpressure and a longer pipe.

Comment

Working...
                              X