• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmsmalley
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

Gato Builders

Hi Guys - several years ago, I made a couple of visits to the USS Cobia - the US fleet submarine that is on display in Manitowoc Wisconsin at the maritime museum there. A number of US fleetboats were built there during WWII and shipped on barges down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.

Once the new SC website is up and running, I will post a ton of photos I shot in those visits - here is a sample! If you need a full set of the photos for an impending build, email me (president@subcommittee.com) and I'll give you the info on how to get the full set in high resolution.

• seadog
    • Sep 2006

Great photos Tim.
    Will be looking

Great photos Tim.
    Will be looking forward to more photos on web site.

Comment

Gato Build

Tim, Were you ever able to find out any info on the flood /drain port locations on the Gato. I thought it was you who may have been inquiring from BD as to whether it would be better to open the drain holes first prior to cementing the hull halves. Speaking of BD haven't herd from him for a while regarding the Revell Gato build. Regards, Al

Comment

• tmsmalley
        SubCommittee Member
        • Feb 2003

Hi Al -
        I have a

Hi Al -
        I have a friend who did the last drydock evolution on the USS Lionfish. I'll contact him to see if he has any diagrams.
        Tim

Comment

Gato Builders

That would be great Tim, I suspect opening the flood holes up prior to cementing the Hull haves together would seem to make the task less difficult. What say ye. Best, Al

Comment

• tmsmalley
            SubCommittee Member
            • Feb 2003

Makes sense to me.

Makes sense to me.

Comment

• bigdave
              • Feb 2003

My flood inlets are being

My flood inlets are being cut with the hull together. I found it easier to mark out their position with both half’s as one. Plus I was concentrating more on the cylinder installation than doing this job. But it has to be done. BD.
              sigpic"Eat your pudding Mr Land"
              "I ain't sure it's pudden" 20K

Comment

• Scale Shipyard / WLU
                • Feb 2003

Dato Class Docking plan

Guys

The drawing that you need is a Docking Plan, this shows all of the hull openings that are below the surfaced waterline of the subs,
                The Floating Drydock sells this drawing in 1:48 scale at a very resonable price.
                W.L. Upshaw

The Scale Shipyard - Maker of the largest selection of quality large scale fiberglass model ship hulls, fittings and running gear.
                SUPPLYING YOUR HOBBY IS NOT OUR HOBBY

Comment

• tom dougherty
                  • Jul 2005

Ballast tank floods

I just got a test shot of a vinyl overlay from Nautilus Models that has the correct placement and shape of the ballast tank floods for the 1/144 Trumpeter Gato. A set for the Revell 1/72 Gato is not far behind. This template would be placed on the actual model and used as to open the flood ports. It also has the correct openings for manhole covers, etc. Also come in Balao & Tench flavors, Will be out soon.

Comment

• sgtmac1
                    SubCommittee Member
                    • Oct 2014

Uss cobia, 2015

A few more shots of the USS COBIA, ready to go for next years SUBFEST!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X