X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jess
    • Oct 2004

It seems to me that

[color=#000000]It seems to me that the photo of the kit that we see is only a test fit, prototype. I don't know what the process of creating a kit would be, but it would make sense to get the general size, shape and fitting correct first. Once all that is worked out, then they would add the surface detail]

Comment

Not sure what Revell has

Not sure what Revell has for machines, but they probably use 3-axis ones. With a ball end mill and a 3-axis machine, you can cut pretty much anything under the sun. When you throw rivets in, you now need to drill normal to the surface. On a hull form, this puts you into 5-axis territory. More money on captial equipment, and more capability than they would typically use.

Just a thought....

Comment

• georget
        SubCommittee Member
        • Mar 2004

Hi everyone. This coming week

Hi everyone. This coming week I'll see if I can officially find out about the smaller details, for example the rivets. Till then, easy going and close those tube hatches. This is modelling, remember. It's for fun!
        Geroge

Comment

• rustysub
          • Apr 2005

Hi george, thank you
          and

Hi george, thank you
          and for rest its been a very fun thread, and hope I didn't start WWIII, You guys are a lot fun, Hopefully we will meet at a Sub com regatta some day, Then you could launch all those torpedoes at me.
          Now I think its time for me to run silent , run deep. Take care all, and happy modeling. Mario

Comment

• JWLaRue
            Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
            • Aug 1994

Works for me.

I don't think

Works for me.

I don't think we're arguing about whether or not the Revell fleetboat should have rivets as delivered....but I do think there is at least some disagreement over what size they should be and thus how *visible*.

-Jeff
            Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• goose814
              • Jul 2004

I remember reading that they

I remember reading that they used the USS Cobia as a reference for the kit and after seeing the photo, it pretty much confirms that it is modelled after the Cobia. One thing I noticed when I magnafied the photo was that the aft marker buoy is of the post-war oval type that is slightly raised above the deck and not the round flush type used during the war. Just makes me think Revell may have modelled her a little too closely as the museum ship she is now and not as she was during the war.

Gus

Comment

I guess the bottom line

I guess the bottom line is here. Who gives a flying you know what Mario?

Revell can do what ever they want to and don't have to cater to the likes of you or anyone else if they don't want too. Your missing the point and now your trying to insult the many fine craftsman here who can make any model from scratch, rivets and all. They don't care. But your insults they might kick you in the butt about.

Maybe if you ever develop the skills of a good craftsman you'll get my point. We are talking about a cheap plastic model kit here. Not a new car.

Come over to www.subpirates.com a talk like that. We'll feed you to the sharks in 5 seconds.

And didn't you say you wouldn't write about this again?

U812 and you just did.

Edited By U812 on 1154910801

Comment

• rustysub
                  • Apr 2005

Say Steve, Aka u812 ,

Say Steve, Aka u812 , If you read into my post I didn't insult the intelligent members of this forum , nor your sub pirates, I didn't even insult revell, yet you feel insulted, Boo whoo Boo Whoo, If you feel insulted, that's your puragative. Get a life dude.
                  pS This matter was already resolved before petty personal threats at me. You're very brave behind a keyboard.... Hopefully we will meet one day in person and have a little "chat". Until then keep your garbage to yourself. Mario

Edited By rustysub on 1154920279

Comment

• tom dougherty
                    • Jul 2005

Revell can do what ever

Revell can do what ever they want to and don't have to cater to the likes of you or anyone else if they don't want too.
                    Ah, yes, the General Motors/Ford business strategy, which has served them so well recently (read with appropriate sarcasm).

In truth, I think Revell HAS been very receptive to input from modelers in this case, and it is always wise to consult with the customer. True, one cannot (for a variety of reasons) accomodate every wish, but the test shots look really good for this kit. I think Mario was simply expressing some ideas, with the thought that George might be able to relay that thru to Revell.

Comment

• bob_eissler
                      SubCommittee Member
                      • Aug 2005

Revell & Trumpeter had both

Revell & Trumpeter had both of their Gato models on display at the IPMS Nationals. Weld seams & rivets are there and look pretty scale. Both look to be very, very nice representations but I am sure some people will quibble about the details.

Comment

• tom dougherty
                        • Jul 2005

Bob,
                        I heard positive reports

Bob,
                        I heard positive reports on the 1/144 Trumpeter kit, including it has both anchor wells (so presumably one can blank off either side), and precut EB pattern limber holes. Did they have both the early and mid-war versions of the Trumpeter, or just the "as built" early version?

Thanks!

Comment

• bob_eissler
                          SubCommittee Member
                          • Aug 2005

I just saw the as

I just saw the as built early one. It was nice to see that both models had the limber holes cut out so we only have to worry about the deck.

Comment

• rev. johnnyjihad
                            • Aug 2006

Well, knowing Revell, they'll probably

Well, knowing Revell, they'll probably make as detailed as possible, much like the VII C/42. Now if they would just make a 1/72 type IX in A, B, C/42, or D2 variant, I'd think I would have died and gone to heaven. Either way the Gato is going to be great.

Comment

• JWLaRue
                              Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
                              • Aug 1994

Well, knowing Revell, they'll probably

Well, knowing Revell, they'll probably make as detailed as possible, much like the VII C/42.
                              We're all hoping....but this is Revell, not Revell of Germany...as in two different companies.

-Jeff
                              Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• rustysub
                                • Apr 2005

Jeff, I not sure if

Jeff, I not sure if its a typo, but Tower Hobbies has two Revell 1/72 scales listed, one is listed as Revell usa LXLRK4 priced at 74.99 releasing in Mid Novembor, Then They have another 1/72 Gato Listed LXNDT8 from Revell Germany at 91.99 releasing in Late Novembor. Again not sure if its a typo or a whole second kit? Mario

http://www.towerhobbies.com/plastic/...hip_model.html

Comment

Working...
                                X