• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sam reichart
    Past President
    • Feb 2003

1/72 scale Type XXI static model

Oto Garza and www.rcsubs.cz have a variety of 3D printed models of the Type XXI for sale. I finally ordered his 1/72 scale version as a static model for myself, primarily at this time because he was offering it fully printed in resin. The detail is incredible. The finish is amazing; no sanding/filling needed at all. I haven’t even had a chance to go through all the bits and pieces in the kit, but if you are at all a Type XXI fan, you need to look at what he offers. If I can manage to save a photo or two of the kit in a low enough resolution and format, I’ll post it here. Otherwise, Oto has a ton of the model on his website.
    Last edited by sam reichart; 10-15-2023, 09:43 PM.
  • thor
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2009

Hi Sam! Why not go full R/C with this kit?
    Regards,

Matt

Comment

• sam reichart
      Past President
      • Feb 2003

Hey Matt-
      it’s fully resin, so it’s susceptible to heat and warping. This is strictly static model material. Oto doesn’t recommend making this R/C, and there’s no hull split for even considering it. It’s an expensive, detailed static model; Oto says he thinks it’s his best work to date.

Comment

• sam reichart
        Past President
        • Feb 2003

Adding on; I finally had a chance to unwrap the hull sections and go through the plans and PE. Really amazing work on this model. All I have to do to prep the hull and conning tower for construction is to saw away a thin index lip on the base of the tower and one end of each of the hull sections.

Comment

• thor
          SubCommittee Member
          • Feb 2009

Nice, Sam! I hope you will post some build photos so we can see. I might have order one of these for myself.
          Regards,

Matt

Comment

• sam reichart
            Past President
            • Feb 2003

I will, Matt.
            I’m in the middle of building the Border Models Type VIIC tower/deck section for a pier side diorama I’m doing. I’m going to have to interrupt that build for a commission from one of the members here for a hummingbird carving that’s a wedding gift. I’ll get to the XXI after that. I know you’re not on FB, but I’m posting build pics of the Type VIIC (and my carvings) over there on my page.

Comment

• sam reichart
              Past President
              • Feb 2003

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2868.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	150334 here's the hull and tower just laid out.
              Attached Files

Comment

• sam reichart
                Past President
                • Feb 2003

Update to this thread.
                I’m in the middle of a commission bird carving, so I put aside my Type VII and this Type XXI static model. Well, my resistance soldering unit gave up the ghost, so while I was waiting for the ne one to arrive, I decided to cut the flanges off the seven sections of this boat. I took my time, used a brand new Zona saw with an extra fine blade, and finished it today. This is not for the faint of heart. Because a couple of the sections have compound curves and super detailing very close to the edge that is being cut, you have to take a lot of time, do many, many shallow cuts, and keep pressure off the resin pieces, as they can be easily squeezed. I still have to do the conning tower one. Next up is sanding the cut sides of the section, then glueing and screwing them together. There’s a small amount of filling/putting that I’ll need to do once they are all joined up. The detail in the model is amazing.

Comment

• thor
                  SubCommittee Member
                  • Feb 2009

Very cool, Sam!
                  Regards,

Matt

Comment

• tom dougherty
                    • Jul 2005

You might want to correct the link. It's rcsubs, not recsubs.

Comment

• sam reichart
                      Past President
                      • Feb 2003

Originally posted by tom dougherty View Post
                      You might want to correct the link. It's rcsubs, not recsubs.
                      Thanks Tom. Fixed.

Comment

Working...
                      X