X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salmon
    Treasurer
    • Jul 2011

My mantra while building my first sub was finish the sub and get it running. Everything else is fluff. Especially with your first RC sub. There are enough challenges in getting a sub to run the first time, that adding other things like working torpedoes and having the scopes raise and lower that it adds to the complexity. This is one of the best hobbies to be in. It makes you think and be creative, which you seem to have going for you. What sub do you want to do for your first sub?
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Pattern8
      • Jun 2017

Originally posted by salmon View Post
      My mantra while building my first sub was finish the sub and get it running. Everything else is fluff. Especially with your first RC sub. There are enough challenges in getting a sub to run the first time, that adding other things like working torpedoes and having the scopes raise and lower that it adds to the complexity. This is one of the best hobbies to be in. It makes you think and be creative, which you seem to have going for you. What sub do you want to do for your first sub?
      Haha oh no!!! I know nothing on how to go from static modeling to R/C but I have read the r/c sub school articles and enough of the archived issues to know not to try torpedoes on my first go. I have however wondered if the miniature disposable CO2 cartridges used in the nano planted tank hobby could be adapted to some use in this regard.

I'll risk, here, being in poor taste considering our current state of foreign affairs; I would really love for my first r/c submarine to be a Russian boat. Regardless of the real world differences in capability I just find them aesthetically pleasing. I find the Akula, Alpha, and new Yasen great looking-very sleek. I also really like the Typhoon but don't know the differences in difficulty, if indeed there are, in building and maneuvering an attack vs a boomer.

Comment

• SubtechRC
        SubCommittee Vendor Member
        • Feb 2017

You're in very good company. There are a large number of R/C Submarine modelers here that really appreciate the lines and design of the Russian boats. I even like the WWII Russian boats.
        Best Regards,

Matt

sigpic

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
          • Oct 2012

Here is Southern California, there has been a growing fleet of Engel's Akula II boats.
          Mine was the third to get to the pond at our local gathering and I see posts on at least 2 more being built and may be ready for the pond.

Here are my Skipjack with the Akula II in front.
          I am currently putting the sonar location makers.
          The do not push here strips.
          I have the bow yet to do.

Next month it will be back at the pond for it's second run at our 2 day gathering.

Comment

• sam reichart
            Past President
            • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Pattern8 View Post

I'll risk, here, being in poor taste considering our current state of foreign affairs; I would really love for my first r/c submarine to be a Russian boat. Regardless of the real world differences in capability I just find them aesthetically pleasing. I find the Akula, Alpha, and new Yasen great looking-very sleek. I also really like the Typhoon but don't know the differences in difficulty, if indeed there are, in building and maneuvering an attack vs a boomer.
            A Russian Alfa in 1/72, balanced correctly, is a spectacular R/C performer (underwater). And a good looking boat as well.

Comment

• salmon
              Treasurer
              • Jul 2011

I like the look of my Akula, SkipJack, and Walrus, but my real love is with something a bit more older. Matt mentioned WWII subs and I like that time frame. Matt is working on the Russian Pike sub, which is so stinking cool looking. Those older subs have rivets, welds, rust, railings, bits and pieces to break off and a look that is clunky enough to look archaic, but modern enough to look cool.

The Russian subs would be a good first sub to build either the complete kits like Engles Akula II, but even hulls like Matt sells or other locations. It is big enough to easily install parts. Go for what you like! Crawl, walk, run!
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Pattern8
                • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Ralph --- SSBN 598 View Post
                Here is Southern California, there has been a growing fleet of Engel's Akula II boats.
                Mine was the third to get to the pond at our local gathering and I see posts on at least 2 more being built and may be ready for the pond.

Here are my Skipjack with the Akula II in front.
                I am currently putting the sonar location makers.
                The do not push here strips.
                I have the bow yet to do.

Next month it will be back at the pond for it's second run at our 2 day gathering.
                These look great!

Comment

• Pattern8
                  • Jun 2017

Originally posted by salmon View Post
                  I like the look of my Akula, SkipJack, and Walrus, but my real love is with something a bit more older. Matt mentioned WWII subs and I like that time frame. Matt is working on the Russian Pike sub, which is so stinking cool looking. Those older subs have rivets, welds, rust, railings, bits and pieces to break off and a look that is clunky enough to look archaic, but modern enough to look cool.

The Russian subs would be a good first sub to build either the complete kits like Engles Akula II, but even hulls like Matt sells or other locations. It is big enough to easily install parts. Go for what you like! Crawl, walk, run!
                  I definitely understand and appreciate not only the look but the history of WWII subs. I read where the Engles, and I believe it mentioned most European models, were dry hull whereas most in the US are wet hull. It seemed to favor the WTC as more modern in design and lighter weight but I still have more to read on what other pros and cons are of each

Also, while I miss the west coast like crazy, I do now live near some of the most beautiful, crystal clear, and so often glassy calm water.... the downside is that it's still the gulf of mexico and therefore salt water

Comment

• sam reichart
                    Past President
                    • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Pattern8 View Post
                    Also, while I miss the west coast like crazy, I do now live near some of the most beautiful, crystal clear, and so often glassy calm water.... the downside is that it's still the gulf of mexico and therefore salt water
                    I gotta believe you can't swing a dead cat in your area of Florida and not hit a pond or lake where you could run (minus the resident alligator or two...).

Comment

• Pattern8
                      • Jun 2017

Alligators are only one thing among many that can kill you in these swamp waters. I prefer taking my chances among the bull sharks lol. There is a state park, defuniak springs, about 1 1/2 hour from here that I've been wanting to check out. Photos of it look pretty amazing

Comment

Working...
                      X