X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pattern8
    • Jun 2017

Display Options???

I'm brand new to the forum and already have a thousand questions but I'm trying to be a consciousness member and read up as much as I possibly can before posting questions that could be answered on my own. On that note, a thank you to all those who worked on indexing past volumes of the magazine- I'm already diving in.

One issue that I've as of yet failed to satisfy is static model display. The "standard" display cradle that comes with most model submarines is alright but it would be so much better if they were clear acrylic....which I've tried searching for with no success. But even better would be something such as something such as this:

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Magnetic Levitron Levitation Display Plateform Floating Show Rotating Shelf at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Certainly, there are members here who have already grappled with this. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated
  • chips
    • Feb 2003

You should be able to get acrylic screen/storm door glazing at the hardware or home improvement or glass store. It will probably be 1/8" thick or so. If you want thicker acrylic, look for a plastic shop, or some place that makes acrylic fish/reptile tanks.

I made the display cradle for my 1/72nd scale SKIPJACK from 3/8" thick acrylic. All of my other subs are displayed on wood cradles, mostly oak.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Pattern8
      • Jun 2017

Originally posted by chips View Post
      You should be able to get acrylic screen/storm door glazing at the hardware or home improvement or glass store. It will probably be 1/8" thick or so. If you want thicker acrylic, look for a plastic shop, or some place that makes acrylic fish/reptile tanks.

I made the display cradle for my 1/72nd scale SKIPJACK from 3/8" thick acrylic. All of my other subs are displayed on wood cradles, mostly oak.
      Thank you! There is a shop I've seen nearby that makes trophies....I should probably check with them.

Still very curious if anyone has experimented with securing magnets on the inside of the hull to create a floating display

Your boats look great btw!

Comment

• salmon
        Treasurer
        • Jul 2011

I have not seen anyone make a floating sub. It is a cool idea, until there is a power outage. Looking at their photos there is definitely a weight limit, I wonder what it is?
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Pattern8
          • Jun 2017

Originally posted by salmon View Post
          I have not seen anyone make a floating sub. It is a cool idea, until there is a power outage. Looking at their photos there is definitely a weight limit, I wonder what it is?
          Indeed I overlooked the power requirements many of them require to make the constant adjustments but perhaps some come with a battery backup? I also found this one that says it does not require batteries at all:

As to weight this one lists 13oz as max bearing weight:

I just weighed my 1/350 Yasen, Akula, and Virgina class. I had secured weights on the inside (nickels or quarters) of all three but did not record how many so not sure how light they would be without. However even with the added weight they ranged in weight only from 2-4 oz.

Comment

• chips
            • Feb 2003

For small display models you could support the model on a length of clear acrylic rod imbedded in a base made to look like the seafloor. You might be able to find clear acrylic rod at the hardware store - maybe as a replacement handle for mini blinds, or a towel rack.

Comment

• Oldus Fartus
              • Jul 2016

Something like this is simple to make from two pieces of acrylic and some aluminum rods or tubes...
              Attached Files

Comment

• JWLaRue
                Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
                • Aug 1994

Another possibility would be to place the model on keel blocks...representing how it would look sitting in a dry dock.

-Jeff
                Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• Pattern8
                  • Jun 2017

Thanks for link!

P.S. Miss living in the bay area like crazy

Comment

• Pattern8
                    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by JWLaRue View Post
                    Another possibility would be to place the model on keel blocks...representing how it would look sitting in a dry dock.

-Jeff
                    Thank you! Indeed I have seen models that utilized that but I was really hoping for something that kept the "floating" look. Even the little cheap stands the models come with would be a ten fold improvement if if they were just made with a thick quality acrylic.

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
                      • Oct 2012

A couple of painted wires coming from the back near the keel.
                      Not seem when looking from front or top.

Comment

• Pattern8
                        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Ralph --- SSBN 598 View Post
                        A couple of painted wires coming from the back near the keel.
                        Not seem when looking from front or top.
                        I'm liking this... any suggestions on the wire and color?

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
                          • Oct 2012

Color of wires should blend with background colors.
                          If you put on a shelf, make the wires a little litghter thant he wall behind.
                          Also use more than one color shade.
                          Don't give the eyes something to focus on.

Like clouds. White but not solid.

Also consider lighting the model from above and in front of the model to cast a shadow on the support wires.

If you can find wires with a chrome finish, they will reflect the background and for ground colors without painting.
                          -----
                          Another thought.
                          Mount wires at back of support board and bend in a curve to the bottom of the boat.
                          No straight lines.

Comment

• cdivine
                            SubCommittee Member
                            • Mar 2010

I like the magnet idea, but yeah there's power to consider, the magnets I believe would have to be inside the model as well so you'd have to plan ahead and make they're positioned absolutely correct. If you did the magnets you can find really large and power full non-conductive magnets online and at home depot. You would build a base with 4 areas where you'd position the magnets at an angle then place corresponding magnets in the boat. Seems fun plus you'd eliminate the need for power. Somehow neodymium magnets are always magnetic eh? No power needed. You get big enough ones and set the faces to oppose each other at 25 - 45 degree angles and boom a floating boat. Oh yeah you might also what to put magnets in fronts and back to keep them from pushing off each other. Oh also you could combine these two use thin fishing wire/string to hold it in place while the magnets offer levitation. Fun fun fun.

Comment

• Pattern8
                              • Jun 2017

Originally posted by cdivine View Post
                              I like the magnet idea, but yeah there's power to consider, the magnets I believe would have to be inside the model as well so you'd have to plan ahead and make they're positioned absolutely correct. If you did the magnets you can find really large and power full non-conductive magnets online and at home depot. You would build a base with 4 areas where you'd position the magnets at an angle then place corresponding magnets in the boat. Seems fun plus you'd eliminate the need for power. Somehow neodymium magnets are always magnetic eh? No power needed. You get big enough ones and set the faces to oppose each other at 25 - 45 degree angles and boom a floating boat. Oh yeah you might also what to put magnets in fronts and back to keep them from pushing off each other. Oh also you could combine these two use thin fishing wire/string to hold it in place while the magnets offer levitation. Fun fun fun.
                              This sounds amazing. I keep telling myself to start focusing on what would be my first R/C sub purchase but then I get fascinating ideas 💡 like what you have just offered.

Comment

Working...
                              X