X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eckloss
    • Nov 2003

Matt Thor 60" 1/72 Scale Akula II

About a decade ago I was lucky enough to find on the SubSwap forum a Matt Thor hull that he had not put into general production, a 1/72 scale Akula II. Only a few of these were ever made, and I am thrilled that I was able to come across one. I've been staring at this hull for years....time to actually build this beast!

The fiberglass work is what you would expect from Matt, however, much heavier than normal. I'm not complaining. Over the past 10 or so years the hull has only warped an eighth of an inch.

The boat is not 100% accurate. It is bit lengthy as compared to the actual Akula II class. But no matter. It will still be built as a generic Akula II using plans and photographs I've collected from various Russian web sites. The plans that will be used for scribing had to be adjusted to fit the size of the hull. But more on that later.

The first thing I needed to do was fabricate some indexing strips to correctly mate the upper and lower hulls. A method I've used for a while is simple yet effective for this. First, three rows of duct tape are laid within the lower hull half, carefully squeezing out any bubbles or wrinkles.

Next, a generous coating of Vasoline is smeared onto the tape with a small painting brush. This will act as a release agent and keep the fiberglass resin from adhering to the duct tape.

Finally, three lengths of 2" fiberglass tape were cut. Three layers provides a very strong indexing strip. I prefer to use West System's 105 resin and 205 hardener. A bit pricey, but there is a West Marine within driving distance, so I don't have to wait for shipping when I need restocked.

The resin was mixed and wicked into the cloth one layer at a time.

Now it's just a waiting game for the resin to cure. This process will be repeated for a second indexing strip: one for the port side, one for starboard.
  • thor
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2009

Re: Matt Thor 60" 1/72 Scale Akula II

This hull was pulled from molds created by Jerome Simon. He did excellent work on this boat.
    Regards,

Matt

Comment

• eckloss
      • Nov 2003

My mistake...it was originally advertised as a Thor boat.

Comment

• thor
        SubCommittee Member
        • Feb 2009

It was. Jerome did the molds. I layed up the glass and appendages. Sorry to interrupt your thread, Erich!

Matt
        Regards,

Matt

Comment

• eckloss
          • Nov 2003

You're not interrupting at all. I'm glad you cleared that up. All credit to where credit is due.

Comment

• eckloss
            • Nov 2003

Indexing strips complete.

Comment

• eckloss
              • Nov 2003

Next step: scribing. This is going to be quite the challenge. This hull has no scribing whatsoever. Luckily, I had a set of Akula II plans from Scale Ships, but in 1/96 scale. What I had to do was take the plans, cut them into even sections, then scan each section in. Using Excel, the sections were resized to match the overall dimensions of the hull. Like I said earlier, the hull isn't 100% true to size. But rather than try to modify the hull to match the plans, I went for the simpler chore of modifying the plans to match the hull.

Comment

• eckloss
                • Nov 2003

In order to get the shapes and areas to be scribed from the plans to the hull, I printed out a large grid on paper and aligned it to the plans. Using a simple tool made from two right angle squares and some foam board, I can transfer each item from the plans over to the hull itself. Going to be a long process.....

Comment

• eckloss
                  • Nov 2003

One little bit at a time.....

Comment

• eckloss
                    • Nov 2003

I suppose I should make clear that I am taking the Scale Ships plans as being correct overall. Based on photos and other plans from Russian sites, the Scale Ships set of drawings seems to be pretty much spot on.

One thing became quite clear very quickly: the sail on the hull is a full 5 inches back from where it should be. No matter. I'm simply continuing to transfer scribe lines over to the hull as if the sail were correct. I'm not a rivet-counter. Never have been. It's too easy to lose oneself in the fine details, when, at the end of the day, it's still going to be one sexy beast on the water. And with Russian boats, no one dares say "That's wrong".

Comment

• eckloss
                      • Nov 2003

Upper hull, minus the sail, is complete. Debating on how much detail I want to put on the sail. Any opinions?

Comment

• eckloss
                        • Nov 2003

Scribing tool: simply a small screwdriver that has been ground down to a fine point.

This process takes damn near forever.

As each area is scribed in, it's colored in with blue sharpie so that I know it's done. After a few more scribes I will blast the area with some primer so I can check that the scribe depth is enough to correctly show through.

Comment

• eckloss
                          • Nov 2003

Well, after a couple hours of scribing, I have to admit defeat. Yes, defeat. Years ago, I re-scribed a boat that I had found to be scribed incorrectly. That seemed to go very well. I scribed the living sh^t out of that boat, and it looks good. And that success gave me every optimism that I could do this hull as well. But that was a much thinner collection of cloth and resin. This boat is very, very thick. I tried every little trick I knew to make the scribing work, but to no avail. The scribes were more often than not straying widely from the guide lines, despite using a template of shapes to use as a guide.

The long and short of it is I will use the plans to locate the correct location of the limber holes, both top and bottom, but that's it. This boat will be smooth and detail-free, much to my frustration and dismay.

Comment

• thor
                            SubCommittee Member
                            • Feb 2009

You may need a dull scriber to lay down your first lines very lightly before going deeper. I am guessing you may be applying a bit too much pressure too early in the process.

Matt
                            Regards,

Matt

Comment

• eckloss
                              • Nov 2003

Like I said, I tried every trick I know. The coat is just like concrete...very hard and it almost has a texture to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X