• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salmon
    Treasurer
    • Jul 2011

No more cup seals, bellows, or o-rings! My Magnetic End Cap

Years ago, I played with a magnet connector for my prop shaft. It did not work for me. It kept slipping and did not have that gription (not a real word, but I like it). Recently, a gentleman named Nick, made one that he liked. That got me back to thinking about it again and using magnets for the drive line and while I am at it, the pushrods too. I think my issue before was woefully too weak of magnets, but did not feel like spending more time or money on it. So, this time around, I injected some testosterone into the mix (think "Home Improvement"). To add to this, technology has changed, we now have 3D printing and I can now express my thoughts better into a tangible result.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnetic_Endcap_001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	608.0 KB
ID:	138444
    Here is the 3.5” prototype, In the center is the geared magnetic drive. The rod coming out of the hole is attached to a cylinder magnet.

Name:	Magnetic_Endcap_002.jpg
Size:	676.1 KB
ID:	138445
    With everything removed, There is a nipple in the center that a bearing rides on. In this prototype there are 3 holes that are more like cups in that it is sealed at the end. What is missing (and will be put in the next print) is the water intake for the piston.

Name:	Magnetic_Endcap_003.jpg
Size:	504.5 KB
ID:	138446
    This is the wet side showing the three cups or sealed tubes that the magnet moves inside. Also like the dry side there is a nipple here too. I am concerned the cylinders getting broken. However making the tubes go inward rather than outward adds more issues that I might need to tackle if these are too vulnerable.

Name:	Magnetic_Endcap_pushrod_004.jpg
Size:	587.5 KB
ID:	138447
    A side view of the assembly put together. I needed to drill out the cylinders a little to make the movement smooth with the internal magnet. The outside needed a little bit of sanding to knock out the nibs of the supports. However, the motion and strength of these magnets is really good. Maybe too much strength, but really pleased with the outcome.

Name:	Magnetic_Endcap_pushrod_005.jpg
Size:	708.7 KB
ID:	138448
    This shows the magnet used on the wet side and the pushrod magnet from the dry side.

Name:	Magnetic_Endcap_pushrod_006.jpg
Size:	710.0 KB
ID:	138449
    Another shot without the dry side pushrod magnet.

Name:	Magnetic_Endcap_propshaft_dry_007.jpg
Size:	679.7 KB
ID:	138450
    The geared magnet drive is setup with a bearing in the center and 4 magnets. The nipple will rest on the center ring of the bearing. the outer surface of the bearing is affixed to the drive. As it rotates it will spin freely.

Name:	Magnetic_Endcap_propshaft_wet_008.jpg
Size:	631.0 KB
ID:	138451
    The wet side is identical to the dry just designed to attach to a 3/16” shaft to the prop.

Issues - I made the nipples a little too small. I was being very conservative and trying to keep the distance as close as possible. However, once the magnets came in I realized (well tested) even with 5mm of resin between the magnets they held up. So, I know if threes an issue with the thinner wall, I can add more thickness to it. You can see in the photos that they are rubbing against the end cap. For giggles, I will drill out the nipple and insert a brass rod to see how it rides.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
  • thor
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2009

Pretty cool, Tom! Mag drive pumps have been using this technology for nearly 50 years. It works really well as long as you can keep the magnets properly lined up. Sometimes the pump couplings will "jump" of their associated magnet on the other side and require a mechanical reset to re-align the system. The way you have this system set up should take care of that. Nice work!
    Last edited by thor; 01-09-2022, 07:25 PM.
    Regards,

Matt

Comment

• salmon
      Treasurer
      • Jul 2011

Thanks Matt!
      The idea of using magnets like this has been around for a long time and even for our hobby it has been done before. There are not too many new ideas, but we build off what others have started.
      I love the ability to try things out and keep my brain going.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Jakub
        • May 2021

A deep dive WTC cap! Nicely done, the pushrod idea is especially brilliant.

I did experiment with such magnetic clutches/seals some time ago too, but encountered an issue - the motor began taking a lot more amps from the battery. It was caused by the strong rare earth magnets influencing the motor's magnetic field. This was issue number 1. Sadly issue number 1 caused a bigger issue - number 2 - those additional amps had to go somewhere, if they didn't go into speed or torque... They obviously went straight into heat. Of course this can most likely can be avoided by a proper distance between the motor and the magnetic clutch/seal, but it's worth for you to keep an eye on.
        My knowledge base and blog:
        www.RCshipyard.com

Comment

• salmon
          Treasurer
          • Jul 2011

Jakub,
          Thank you, that will be the next hurdle. I am certain there will be many versions before or if this will work well enough to put in a boat.

Comment

• wlambing
            SubCommittee Member
            • Feb 2003

What will take into account the slippage from answering a Back Emergency bell?? That one gets used a lot during Fun Runs and Regattas!!

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
              • Oct 2012

The magnetic interference issue can be handled by increasing the distance from motor to clutch.
              Say put the servos between the motor and clutch.
              And then using steel sheet to make a barrier between the motor, servos and clutch.
              Steel soup can lids will stop magnetic lines of flux and not add too much weight.

Comment

• MSM
                SubCommittee Member
                • Aug 2020

Nice work Tom! I think you may have saw this video that I posted before with the magnetic clutch drives I recently made.

Quick demonstration testing the brushless motors spinning the twin propeller shafts of the type VII model build.

Thought I had a video on my YouTube channel demonstrating the slip clutches slipping when I physically stalled the shafts showing the difference in amperage draw but I think I may have posted that video directly from my phone to the Subcommittee Facebook page.

Anyways they work awesome with no additional amperage draw, no problems with the brushless motors and no problem going full ahead to full astern in emergencies.

Keep up the awesome work buddy. I like where you are going with this!

Nick

Comment

• salmon
                  Treasurer
                  • Jul 2011

Nick,
                  You got me going down this path again so thank you!
                  I am using a brushed motor, but maybe move to brushless later. Nick, I follow all you do, love your thinking.
                  Peace,
                  Tom

Comment

• coryhenry
                    • Jun 2020

Tom, It appears your PM inbox is full

Comment

• salmon
                      Treasurer
                      • Jul 2011

Cleared out some messages, thank you Cory!

Comment

• salmon
                        Treasurer
                        • Jul 2011

Bill,
                        The magnets I put in, may not have any slippage (well that is not 100% accurate)…..I might have used too strong a magnet. Testing is coming up soon.
                        Peace,
                        Tom

Comment

• salmon
                          Treasurer
                          • Jul 2011

Ralph,
                          That may be needed, will know more in time. Thank you!
                          See you pond side Saturday.
                          Peace,
                          Tom

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                            No one
                            • Jul 2003

I see the headline...

Nevada man builds Magnetar, local RC group falls into spatial rift!
                            v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                            NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                            USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS KRAKEN-USS PATRICK HENRY-HMS VENGEANCE-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• salmon
                              Treasurer
                              • Jul 2011

Did some assembly on the end cap. Very pleased. Will be mounting motor and running some tests......Photos will be coming.

Comment

Working...
                              X