• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sam reichart
    Past President
    • Feb 2003

Originally posted by salmon View Post
    Matt, I love it!
    I did one for my Trafalgar I am building.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]10489[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]10490[/ATTACH]

I adjusted the number of vanes or blades (actually reduced the number) and tested. Plugged it into a drill. Then it was dunked in the kiddie pool.
    Love seeing your work.

Beautiful work Tom. That’s going to look really good on that Tralf…

Comment

• thor
      SubCommittee Member
      • Feb 2009

I've decided to go completely back to the original impeller/stator combination that Dave Merriman and I put together on the original SEAWOLF kit prototype. That unit was very efficient and turned the hull into an underwater rocket. That unit had 12 forward stator blades with 12 aft stator blades. With that in mind I have revised the CAD and will re-print them both using some new UV cure resin that is super tough stuff.

Here is a photo of the original propulsor design with the revised impeller that led to a very poorly performing unit.

Revised CAD for the aft stator is on the right side of the image:

Regards,

Matt

Comment

• thor
        SubCommittee Member
        • Feb 2009

Here is the completed CAD for the 12 bladed forward & aft stator propulsor assembly:

Regards,

Matt

Comment

• salmon
          Treasurer
          • Jul 2011

Matt,
          That looks great. I am pretty excited to see this build!
          You do great work.
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• thor
            SubCommittee Member
            • Feb 2009

I have to make a decision here on what to do with the "flank array" blisters. I have all the information I need to model them correctly in the "as launched" configuration. But, as with all new designs stuff happens. During the early sea trials of SSN21 the fiberglass fairings which contour the flank array housings into the hull to provide a nice, smooth hydraulic flow over the hull were ripped off during submerged high speed runs. Attempts to modify the fairings and add additional fasteners were only marginally successful leading EB to remove the fairings completely and simply fair them in with a form of the same rubber compound that completely envelopes the entire boat.

The problem for me, as a modeler, is I only have a few photos of SSN21 in drydock showing what they actually look like without the fiberglass fairings. I have enough evidence to correctly model the forward two array housings, but not the aft housing. So, do I model it correctly as launched, or take my best shot as it ended up in service based upon the limited information that I have on hand?

I am leaning toward modeling the boat as launched with the fiberglass fairings in place. What do you think? Your input is invited!

As launched:

As accepted by the US Navy (This is not Seawolf, but a later boat in the class):

Last edited by thor; 12-10-2021, 02:08 PM.
            Regards,

Matt

Comment

• sam reichart
              Past President
              • Feb 2003

I like "as launched". Plus, those blisters add some detail to an otherwise "plain" shape.
              I still remember standing in the torpedo room of that boat, next to the Tomahawk missiles, and thinking "we're standing in the breech of a loaded gun".

Comment

• thor
                SubCommittee Member
                • Feb 2009

I remember that, Sam! If I remember correctly, your words were " It feels like we are standing inside of a loaded .45". That was a really fun trip. I remember security up by the sail as we left SSN21 asking why you were taking photos of my shoes while we were touring the boat. I don't think he ever figured it out....
                Regards,

Matt

Comment

• thor
                  SubCommittee Member
                  • Feb 2009

Here is the newly revised 12 bladed aft stator:

Regards,

Matt

Comment

• sam reichart
                    Past President
                    • Feb 2003

Originally posted by thor View Post
                    I remember that, Sam! If I remember correctly, your words were " It feels like we are standing inside of a loaded .45". That was a really fun trip. I remember security up by the sail as we left SSN21 asking why you were taking photos of my shoes while we were touring the boat. I don't think he ever figured it out....
                    ...and that one guy on the deck going "all that money spent on this submarine, and the bow dome has a big gap and doesn't even fit right!"

Comment

• thor
                      SubCommittee Member
                      • Feb 2009

After several PMs, Emails, & Sam's input the new SSN21 kit will be built "as launched" with the FRP fairing panels in place over the flank array sensor housings. Thanks for all of the input!
                      Regards,

Matt

Comment

• sam reichart
                        Past President
                        • Feb 2003

Originally posted by thor View Post
                        After several PMs, Emails, & Sam's input the new SSN21 kit will be built "as launched" with the FRP fairing panels in place over the flank array sensor housings. Thanks for all of the input!
                        Glad the collective gave you good input. Can’t wait to see this one done, Matt.

Comment

• thor
                          SubCommittee Member
                          • Feb 2009

A peek at the wide aperture arrays forward and mid arrays are installed. I am still working on the aft panels.

Regards,

Matt

Comment

• thor
                            SubCommittee Member
                            • Feb 2009

I took some time away from further modeling on this project to do some research. One items on SSN 21 that has been frustrating me greatly is the anechoic coating that was applied to the boat after trials. There is very little information available on the subject and there seems to be several interpretations of the material that is available, which explains why no two SSN21 models are the same. While researching the topic it was discovered that there were at least 7 different configurations of the anechoic coatings as the boat was progressing in her service. Many changes were made by removing or adding material here & there, or by thinning the sections out in critical areas. So, to get straight to it; any iteration of the anechoic material application after her service trials would be a guess only. I hate guessing, because it is usually incorrect. The only configuration I can model the SEAWOLF correctly is the "As Launched" configuration before any of the thick rubber was applied to the hull and before the wide aperture array fairings were removed as was discussed earlier. Being a stickler for being correct, I will model this boat completely in the "As Launched" configuration.

This time, also, allowed me to venture a bit into the VIRGINIA Class SSN material where I discovered that with each progressive boat many changes were made to the Anechoic coatings making modeling a specific boat accurately very difficult. The SEAWOLF Class was a laboratory for these coatings and VIRGINIA is still receiving improvements. So, I do not think I will ever model the VIRGINIA Class, but instead move onto focusing on this SSN21 SEAWOLF kit and the next offering Bob Martin has asked me to produce which is a 1/48th Scale WWII GATO Class kit in Museum detail. I am already working with Randy at the Floating Drydock to gather all of the correct information to provide the first iteration of the kit which will be SS-212 GATO herself, modeled "as launched". Follow-on Conning towers, guns, etc will be provided after the initial kit release.
                            Last edited by thor; 01-07-2022, 08:12 PM.
                            Regards,

Matt

Comment

• sam reichart
                              Past President
                              • Feb 2003

That Gato will be a fantastic model, and in that scale, a super boat to detail and run. I'm very much looking forward to that seeing that model, Matt. I think it will be a goldmine for Bob as well.

Comment

• thor
                                SubCommittee Member
                                • Feb 2009

I sure hope so, Sam! The work that will be required to produce a model of that level of detail is many times any kit I have ever produced in the past. I will be creating a separate thread shortly to show where I am at with the 3D modeling, but it is coming along well.

Here is where we are today with the wide aperture array fairings being created along the hull (port & starboard). Next will be the towed array fairing and the escape trunks.

Regards,

Matt

Comment

Working...
                                X