• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thor
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2009

New 1/96th Scale SSN 21 SEAWOLF Kit-Nautilus Drydocks

I will be constructing some new kits to fill some needs in the Nautilus Drydocks model submarine kit line. Bob and I have discussed his appraisal of the kit market and he has given me guidance on which kits he would like to see in his inventory, and the priority of each kit. I have a few of kits underway for him and I will work on these kits as time allows. The first kit I will show progress on here is the SSN 21 SEAWOLF in 1/96th scale. The original Kit that Dave Merriman and I created back in the late 1990s was a big hit and it handled very well, not to mention how fast it was with the initial propulsor design we used. Dave did a magnificent job detailing up the hull with his scribing mastery. I will attempt to achieve the same quality of detail, but Dave is a very hard act to follow.

After some unwanted attention by the guys in dark sunglasses at the SubCommittee Regatta, I made some changes to the propulsor that really spoiled its performance and to be honest it completely ruined the functionality of the propulsor. So, I am returning to the original design and instead of producing these the old fashion way by creating the patterns out of granite with a chisel, I will utilize CNC machining, 3D Printing via filament, and 3D printing via photo-sensitive resin.

The first item to be produced with be the post-swirl stator assembly. The blades will be a tad thicker than scale due to the need for more structural strength than the extremely thin cross-section which made the entire after propulsor assembly a bit too fragile for long term use. The original propulsor utilized a thicker cross-section of roughly .082" at its 1/3 chord.

Here is the general arrangement drawing of the kit:

After a few hours of CAD development, the post swirl stator assembly is ready for printing in the resin printer.

Last edited by thor; 12-03-2021, 11:08 PM.
    Regards,

Matt
  • thor
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2009

Here is the stator all loaded up in the program for the resin printer:

Regards,

Matt

Comment

• ccontrol
      SubCommittee Member
      • Mar 2012

Beautiful Matt, as always! Glad to see you back in the hobby too.

Comment

• thor
        SubCommittee Member
        • Feb 2009

Thanks, Steve. Progress might be painfully slow at times!
        Last edited by thor; 12-03-2021, 08:48 PM.
        Regards,

Matt

Comment

• sam reichart
          Past President
          • Feb 2003

So glad to see you back and active Matt. This is going to be an awesome boat. In 1/96 scale, this was a perfect sized model.
          Edit: IIRC, you incorporated carbon fiber back in the day on the old stators/propulsor, to aid in strength, correct?

Comment

• thor
            SubCommittee Member
            • Feb 2009

Yes, Sir! There will be lots of CF in various locations with this kit.
            Regards,

Matt

Comment

• thor
              SubCommittee Member
              • Feb 2009

The 3D resin printer worked all night printing up the aft stator. It turned out pretty nice, but needs a bit of clean-up on the perimeter of the hub and leading edge of the stator blades.

Stator fresh off the resin printer:

Stator being cured in the UV light oven:

Regards,

Matt

Comment

• thor
                SubCommittee Member
                • Feb 2009

The CAD is complete for the Propulsor Shroud Aft section and the Propulsor Shroud Forward section. Both components of the assembly with be printed out tonight.

The aft stator is included with the CAD to assure fit and for visual reference. It has already been printed out and is being cleaned up for molding now.
                Regards,

Matt

Comment

• thor
                  SubCommittee Member
                  • Feb 2009

I completed the CAD for the SEAWOLF propulsor assembly minus the impeller over the weekend. The propulsor shroud components have been printed out, but not cleaned up. I will do that today and get the photos up.

Here is the forward stator shown in the shroud assembly:

Regards,

Matt

Comment

• thor
                    SubCommittee Member
                    • Feb 2009

Here is the assembly trimmed, but not solvent cleaned. After cleaning with solvent (isopropyl alcohol) the assembly will go into the UV oven for about 15 minutes to finish cure the resin parts.

Regards,

Matt

Comment

• thor
                      SubCommittee Member
                      • Feb 2009

After a quick sanding to get the parts to mate here is what we have. The impeller is next:

Regards,

Matt

Comment

• salmon
                        Treasurer
                        • Jul 2011

Matt, I love it!
                        I did one for my Trafalgar I am building.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3858.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	136046
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3860.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	136047

I adjusted the number of vanes or blades (actually reduced the number) and tested. Plugged it into a drill. Then it was dunked in the kiddie pool.
                        Love seeing your work.
                        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• thor
                          SubCommittee Member
                          • Feb 2009

Beautiful work, Tom!

Did you 3D print your components out or hand fabricate them?

Thanks, as always.
                          Regards,

Matt

Comment

• salmon
                            Treasurer
                            • Jul 2011

Thanks Matt! 3D printed on a Elegoo Mars Pro. The resin is Siraya Tech Fast Grey.
                            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• sam reichart
                              Past President
                              • Feb 2003

Originally posted by thor View Post
                              After a quick sanding to get the parts to mate here is what we have. The impeller is next:

Aweosme work there, Matt! I can’t believe how quickly you knocked that out. Hey, I had forgotten all about that visit from the guys in the black vans…

Comment

Working...
                              X