Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jspargo1
    • Jan 2008

Thanks for the education on photos and distortion. I had tried to use photos of relatively short sections of hull to limit the angles and distortion created but I noticed that points I was interested in still seem to be shifting position which had to be related to the distance and angle. Although the discrepancy between the plans of the deck and the description of the deck in the text of the book concerns me and causes me to question other parts of the plans I will continue to follow the plans and try to correlate with other material. I've been looking at the Revell model and the upgrade kits available to try and improve accuracy. I know the tower isn't correct for the U-190 and there is a mistake in the upgrade kit. If you know of any other issues with the model I should be aware of please let me know.

I have started rebuilding the deck starting at frame 89. I will post a picture when I get that part completed.

Comment

• jspargo1
      • Jan 2008

Slow progress has been made on my U-190. Work still needs to be done on the bow, balkongerät, aft end of the keel, the skeg, and the area at and aft of the stern torpedo tubes.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5130.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	483.9 KB
ID:	135225

As I continue I’m still debating the accuracy of the plans. Perhaps I’m being unnecessarily compulsive, but I would appreciate opinions.

For frame 139 the light grey line is the original line on the plans.* The black line for frame 139 is the one I got by superimposing another set of Type IX cross sections. Looking at old pictures it appears to me that the superimposed cross section looks more correct than the original plan cross sections.* At the position of frame 139 I don't believe I see the bulge in the hull contour on real U-boats at WL6 and WL7 levels.* Does anyone have an opinion about which is correct or am I being ridiculous? Getting this far has been a fair amount of work.* I don’t want to make a mistake now.

Name:	frame 139.jpg
Size:	810.7 KB
ID:	135226Click image for larger version

Name:	bow frames.jpg
Size:	656.6 KB
ID:	135227

Name:	0_9735d_942926c1_XXXL.jpg
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	135228Click image for larger version

Name:	32.jpg
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	135229Click image for larger version

Name:	534sep09-025.jpg
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	135230Click image for larger version

Name:	3785876304_42a872395a_b.jpg
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	135231

Comment

• jspargo1
        • Jan 2008

I have made a little bit of progress on my build. Currently I am trying to figure out the Balkongerät. I have a number of pictures but I have not been able to find a single measurement or any cross sections form which to make accurate frames. I have made some estimations of its dimensions and shape and hope to work on it this weekend to see if it looks satisfactory. If anyone has any actual measurements of one please send them to me.Click image for larger version

Name:	U-190.jpg
Size:	551.7 KB
ID:	135913Click image for larger version

Name:	U-190-2.jpg
Size:	595.8 KB
ID:	135914

Comment

• gantu
          • Aug 2009

Hi be carfull with the schnelltauch back on many models ther are wrong. Led me see about the GHG Balkon gerät.

Comment

• gantu
            • Aug 2009

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
              • Oct 2012

Such nice photos.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• gantu
                • Aug 2009

Comment

• gantu
                  • Aug 2009

Comment

• jspargo1
                    • Jan 2008

Thanks for the pictures Gantu. Much appreciated.

Regarding the schnelltauchback modification, I noticed that on the plans in the back of "Vom Original zum Modell: Uboottyp IXC" the schnelltauchback modification goes from frame 93 to frame 124. But in the text of the book it contradicts the plans and states the U-190 had the type A modification. The caption of a picture of the U-190 also states the modification went form frame 89 to frame 124 1/2 . So I decided to rely on the text and picture caption when I was making that part of the hull.

I hope you have more luck finding the correct measurements for the balkongerät than I have. I have been working on my estimates of its dimensions but would certainly prefer to have accurate measurements.

Comment

• gantu
                      • Aug 2009

Comment

• jspargo1
                        • Jan 2008

After several failed attempts, I've made a balcony that I think doesn't look too bad. The shape still needs some refinement. I have looked in every book on U-boats I have been able to get and searched the internet more times than I can count trying to find the correct dimensions of a balkongerät on a Type IXC without success. I ended up looking at every picture of a Type IX showing the balkongerät that I could find and I guessed. My estimate was a maximum 1:1 width might be 180 cm giving me a maximum width of 60 mm at the scale I'm using. I haven't glued the part on yet so it could still be changed. If anyone has an opinion about whether or not I should make any changes please post your thoughts and suggestions or if I got it (maybe about right).

Name:	balcony.jpg
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	135972Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1254 copy.jpg
Size:	561.6 KB
ID:	135973

Comment

Working...
                        X