• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thor
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2009

1/32nd Scale Russian WWII SHCH "Pike" Series X Build

This project has been underway for many years. Progress came to a halt in 2011 due to work pressures and re-location which left no time for hobby related activities. Life has slowed down a lot for me lately which has allowed me to dust this build off and get it back underway again. I am going to go back and re-document everything for those who are not familiar with this project or this very neat Class of boats.

This project started in 1991. I was living in Renton, Washington at the time and was working for Boeing Defense & Space as a Senior Design Engineer on the B-2 project. I had never been to a Sub Regatta before, but had been corresponding with Greg Sharpe for quite some time and wanted to meet him. My Wife and I drove up to Vancouver to attend the SubRegatta at the Vancouver Maritime Museum. It is a beautiful place right on the shore. I met for the first time, people that I had been reading about for a few years which was exciting. I met the real pioneers of the R/C Submarine hobby such as Mike Dory, Dan Kachur, & Greg Sharpe.

On the second day of the SubRegatta my Wife and I ventured into the museum to see what they had. It is a small museum, but it does have some fascinating exhibits. Inside the musuem is a very small library/bookstore. I spent a couple of hours pouring over the various submarine related titles. Several of these books I had never seen before, and many were out of print. One book in particular really caught my interest. It was titled "Submarines of the Russian & Soviet Navies, 1718-1990"by Norman Polmar & Jurrien Noot. On the upper right hand corner of pageg 123 was a poor quality photo of a submarine I had never seen before. The caption stated that it an 'SHCH-Class Submarine' of series X. Here is that photo;

After further reading I found another picture, which was a closeup of the conning tower gun deck. It showed more detail which cemented my fascination with this class of boats. Here is that photo:

I purchased the books that really caught my attention and went home to start pouring through them. I searched for the next couple of years, with very little luck, for more pictures, photos, & documentation of any kind that would help me piece together an accurate plan of the Shch Series X boat from which I could build a model. In 1994 I found a plans service in Los Angeles that had a plan for the exact boat that I wanted. I was so excited! I called up the company, Repli-tech int., and spoke to the owner. He sent me out a catalog of his drawings. After receiving the catalog I immediately sent them my check to purchase the Shch Plans. They were drawn by a man from Poland by the name of Andrezji Krasniki. They were very poorly drawn and I was extremely dissapointed. The hull stations did not match the plans, the hull profile was drawn by hand and the lines were not even straight. But, after reconsidering, it was still another piece of the puzzle. If the plans were even close to being right, at least I know knew what was below the waterline. Here is that set of plans:

My search continued until 1994 when Paul Doman, a good friend of mine, called me up and told me he had found a set of prints for my submarine at a plans service out of Germany. I was so excited. Knowing how the Germans typically do things I was certain that these plans would be spot on. The plans arrived after a few weeks of waiting. I tore the tube open and threw the plans down on the kitchen table. It only took me 10 seconds to see that they were based off of the same poor Krasniki drawings. The drafting quality was excellent, but the errors were the same. I knew now that if I was going to use an accurate set of plans, I was going to have to get the originals from Russia and make them myself. So, my quest to find a contact in Russia began.

I found many sources for the boat in Russia via the internet and was suprised how willing those folks were to help. None of the Russians I dealt with wanted any money. The folks at http://www.armybook.com were outstanding to work with and helped me out a great deal. Sadly Armybook is no longer in business. The Russians wanted trinkets from the US, which really puzzled me. The information that I did get was very contradictory, which I finally made sense out of when I recieved partial shipyard prints for the same class from 2 different yards. It turns out each yard had its own way of doing things and each boat was modified to suit the yard and even the Skipper if he had enough pull. This discovery ended several years of an extremely frustrating research. I finally settled on doing one boat, Shch 324 which I have dozens of photos both in and out of the water, plus I recieved an original WWII Russian Navy Captain's warpatrol badge from 1943 from the skipper of Shch 411. That will be mounted on the diplay case.

The other great source of information was the Imperial War Museum. They were extremely helpful in specific technical information, plus for a $200.00 donation they interpreted all of the shipyard construction notes for me from Russian to English. I found a lot of great information in that text that allowed me to finish the research on the project. I gentleman by the name of Sergey Myagov, who was a Russian Naval historian, helped me a great deal. He went and dug into the Russian archives and sent me hundreds of photos that I did not have. Unfortunatley, not many were below the water line and most photos, typical from this time period in Russian, were of extremely poor quality.

Armed with the information I had in hand I went forth to produce accurate plans & patterns in 1/48th. Little did I know at the time that there was a publication that had just been released (2002) that covered the very class of boats that I sought to build. Sergey found it in a local bookstore in Moscow and FedExed the package to me.

It was full of photos and plans that were much more accurate than anything I had seen to day. I had to scrap the plans that I had drawn and had to start all over again!

The first photo that really jumped out at me in 2002 was this photo. This boat is Shch-209. This is the very same boat that caught my attention back in 1991, but I can see a LOT more detail. More pieces of the puzzle starting to fall into place.

Last edited by thor; 04-07-2020, 08:38 PM.
    Regards,

Matt
  • secrtwpn1
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

Hey Matt! I bought one of those Vex radios from you a couple years ago. Did you ever come up with the part to use on the throttle stick to control movement of it?

Thanks
    Farlan Clutters

Comment

• thor
      SubCommittee Member
      • Feb 2009

After pouring over literally thousands of photos and drawings I began the basic frame work for a CAD model. Initially, I created a 2D plan in AutoCAD then progressed to developing a full 3D model in CAD with the hopes of creating the very complex hull shape with a CNC mill. Not to bore you with the ridiculous amount of time that went into the CAD work, here are a few images of the completed 3D model of the hull and conning tower. I started the CAD model in 1995 and finished the 3D model in 2006 with many, many iterations in between. Every time I finished up a revision, I would discover more photos that would help me dial the plans in a bit more. In 2005 Vladimir Trigub from Belarus contacted me with an offer of providing me photos, plans, & drawings from Russia. Vladimir had many sources in Russia that proved to be an absolute gold mine for the finalization of the CAD work. Here is how the 3D model looked before it went to machining:

Last edited by thor; 04-07-2020, 09:25 PM.
      Regards,

Matt

Comment

• thor
        SubCommittee Member
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by secrtwpn View Post
        Hey Matt! I bought one of those Vex radios from you a couple years ago. Did you ever come up with the part to use on the throttle stick to control movement of it?

Thanks
        Farlan Clutters
        Farlan,

This is a build thread. Please PM me and we'll discuss
        Regards,

Matt

Comment

• QuarterMaster
          No one
          • Jul 2003

Matt,

Knowing I'm a 70's-80's US Nuke boat fan, I have to say this boat is GORGEOUS!

What a unique subject matter, I can see what draws you to her. Love that tower!

Looking forward to the build!
          v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
          NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
          USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS KRAKEN-USS PATRICK HENRY-HMS VENGEANCE-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• sam reichart
            Past President
            • Feb 2003

Thanks for adding this build to the site, Matt. I know you’d been working on this model for a long time, and it will be fun to watch along and see this boat come to life.

Comment

• thor
              SubCommittee Member
              • Feb 2009

Thanks Ed & Sam!
              Regards,

Matt

Comment

• salmon
                Treasurer
                • Jul 2011

Wow Matt! This sub is coming to life!
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• PaulC
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 2003

Great to see you back aboard, Matt! Looking forward to this thread.
                  Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
                  <><

Comment

• thor
                    SubCommittee Member
                    • Feb 2009

The next step in this process is to break the 3D CAD model up into sections that can be machined via a 3-Axis CNC Router. In this case, we will start machining the port side of the Shch "Pike" pattern in 1/32 scale. This will provide a hull pattern that is 72.34" long.

The Z=0 datum represents the machine surface or parting board where the hull will be split along the vertical centerline.
                    Last edited by thor; 04-24-2020, 01:12 PM.
                    Regards,

Matt

Comment

• thor
                      SubCommittee Member
                      • Feb 2009

Before the machining process can move forward the material to be machined must be assembled. In this case locust wood was chosen for its dimensional stability over wide temperature and humidity ranges.

The planks are a bit oversized on purpose, and joined together with a good quality long term epoxy. Remember to go easy on the adhesive. With all modern adhesives, less is better! A light wet coat on both sides of the planks is all that is needed.

The planks are all clamped securely together, while be restrained to a datum surface that is known to be perfectly flat. In this case the flatness is controlled by a nice I beam that is known to be near perfectly flat over its length.
                      Last edited by thor; 04-24-2020, 01:40 PM.
                      Regards,

Matt

Comment

• thor
                        SubCommittee Member
                        • Feb 2009

With the solid wood blanks all glued up and perfectly flat it is time to rig the blanks onto the bed of the CNC machine. The X=0, Y=0, Z=0 of the wood blanks must correspond to the same coordinates in 3D space of the surface model of SHCH "Pike". It is always wise to leave a bit of extra material in all these dimensions to make rigging in the blanks to the machine head less critical. I like to leave 1/2" in X & Y, with only 1/4" in the Z plane. If you happen to be off a little bit then it doesn't matter.

Here the wood blank in mounted onto the bed of the CNC router ready for rigging the machine head (tool) onto the X,Y,Z coordinates of the part.

In this photo we are setting the bottom tip of the tool to the correct Z axis dimension to the CNC machine knows where it is at in 3D space:

In this photo we are setting the X axis location:

We have started the "Rough-Out" phase of the machining process where the bulk of the material is removed from the wood blank to prepare for the "Finish-Passes" which will come later:

A bit later in the "Rough-Out":

A close up of the partially roughed out "Pike" pattern:

Here is the completed "Rough-Out" for one half of the 1/32nd scale "Pike":

The next step is the "Finish" tool path which takes the "Rough-Out" down to a very nice, nearly finished shape!
                        Last edited by thor; 04-26-2020, 04:29 PM.
                        Regards,

Matt

Comment

• wlambing
                          SubCommittee Member
                          • Feb 2003

You sure you don't need more clamps? One can never have too many clamps!!

B^)

Comment

• thor
                            SubCommittee Member
                            • Feb 2009

Hi Bill! I am glad to see you're still around! A shop can never have too many clamps!

The initial finish pass is underway in these shots. There are two finish programs that will be run. Each successive finish pass uses a different tool and tighter resolution to give a final finish that will not need much finish sanding work.

Regards,

Matt

Comment

• thor
                              SubCommittee Member
                              • Feb 2009

Here is a very nice video out of Russian on the boat that I am modeling. This is SHCH-317 and she was the most successful Russian Submarine of her class in the Baltic during WWII.

Regards,

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X