X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eckloss
    • Nov 2003

1:72 Los Angeles Flight II SSN-720 USS Pittsburgh

While under a stay-at-home order, I'm digging up a kit that's been sitting on my shelves for several years.

As the subject line says, I am building this 1:72 scale kit as the USS Pittsburgh (SSN-720), a Flight II (with VLS) Los Angeles class boat. This will be a very basic, straight-forward build. No frills, no fluff.

This particular kit I obtained as a raffle prize at Carmel, dotted by Mike Schubar some years ago.

There is a moderate amount of scabbed detail as you can see. There are some details I will need to add (VLS covers), and some I will need to change or improve upon (sail).

I will be using a 90mm OTW cylinder that will fit quite nicely in this hull.

As always, I encourage comments, critiques, and suggestions.

-erich

• salmon
    Treasurer
    • Jul 2011

Erich,
    Way to go! This should be fun to watch.
    Peace,
    Tom
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• eckloss
      • Nov 2003

This is pretty rudimentary, but I'll post it anyways.

The hull did not include a scribed demarkation line at the forward sonar array area. To add one, I printed the tool in the pictures below. The LA class is only curved at the bow and stern. The central portion is straight. So I extended those lines on the plans towards the bow. Then, I centered the tool over the plans, adjusting for where a marker would mark the correct line on the hull. After everything was drawn on, I "scribed" it with a razor saw. Did this to both hull halves.

I apologize for the pictures being out of order. My phone is being bitchy today.

-erich

Comment

• greg w
        SubCommittee Member
        • Mar 2010

Nice trick Erich. Thanks for sharing it. Greg

Comment

• eckloss
          • Nov 2003

Next step: indexing strips.

Before I cut out the bottom flood holes, I need the hull to be in one piece so I can lay down some indexing strips. Here's a quick-and-dirty version of what I did. It may seem a little strange, but I've always done it this way, and it's always worked just fine.

Inside the bottom half of the hull, I marked where the hull would be cut bow and stern. The cuts will actually be done on the upper hull (yes, both of them... I'll explain at a later date), but I need to know where these positions are so I can properly cut the indexing strips to length later. I sprayed in several layers of this mold release, which is really intended for rubber molds, but it helps here too. After that - and yes, you can laugh - I spread a very light coating of Vasoline down. Two reasons: 1) it acts as a release agent, and 2) it helps the fiber glass tape stay in place while you wet it with resin. When the strips have cured and are removed, scrub the gasoline side with a dishwashing scrubber, and voila... it's gone. I cut and saturated three layers of one inch fiberglass tape from bow to stern. I'll let this cure for 24 hours, and repeat for the second one.

-erich

(again, images are out of order)

Comment

• bob the builder
            Former SC President
            • Feb 2003

Very nicely done, Erich. I love how you used the contour of the lower hull to create perfectly-shaped strips for the sides.
            The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• eckloss
              • Nov 2003

Thanks Bob... yup, that's pretty much the entire point of the exercise. Works like a charm

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                No one
                • Jul 2003

Erich,

What made you choose the PITTSBURGH? Very few model one of the 8 FLT II's.

For myself, I wanted VLS, but I prefer the pre-90's look of the Fairwater planes, call it nostalgia. Hence I'm modeling my 1:48 after KEY WEST, 722. Also there was/is an SC member, forgot the name-remember the face, who served on KEY WEST.

I see you're taking it basic and simple, but a pair of Propel powered UGM-109 TALM's bursting the water would be cool, and simple. Aluminum tube and balsa nose cone. Like shooting a paper cover off a straw. I already made them up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0kcon20w8ihz.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	134072

Doing it on tubes 15 & 16.

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	134073

Tubes 1 & 2 will be operational for scale MK48's.

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	134074

Hope to have her done by summer's end, or Groton, whatever comes first.

Regardless, I can't wait to see you progress, it's always cool to see something different like one of the FLT II 688's!

Enjoy the build!

"Sub" Ed

Ed
                v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS KRAKEN-USS PATRICK HENRY-HMS VENGEANCE-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• eckloss
                  • Nov 2003

A little bit of time to work on the 720 today. Most of it was trying to get workable sets of cleats. Getting closer. They will need a lot of touching up. Designed the braces for the cylinder and the battery compartment. Those are printing now. And a lot of planning. I like to get stuff out on paper in advance so I can work from a clear plan of attack.

-erich

Comment

• eckloss
                    • Nov 2003

I haven't forgotten about this boat. Just been very distracted.

Question: the Los Angeles class was upgraded to a ringed propeller with the Flight III boats. Would the Flight II's have been retrofitted with this as well? I know some of the Flight II's were retrofitted with the dihedral fins added to the Flight III's...

I can't find a satisfactory answer on this...

Comment

• eckloss
                      • Nov 2003

Grab a cup of coffee... 6 minutes of video on what I got done on the Pittsburgh today...

Comment

• bob_eissler
                        SubCommittee Member
                        • Aug 2005

Very nice, should line up very well. Neat way to attach the two haves together.
                        Oh, I heard that they have filled the pond at Carmel's war memorial. Do you have any idea when they will allow us to run boats there?
                        I'm retired now and am planning to make regular trips there during the summer.

Comment

• eckloss
                          • Nov 2003

email me at eckloss@mac.com and I'll forward you the regulations the city of Carmel has instituted for using the pond

Comment

• Rick Teskey
                            SubCommittee Member
                            • Feb 2003

Go with ringless I find the ringed prop fouls with leaves , feathers, a brides garter( running at a city hall reflecting pool) and is hard too clear in reverse, any obstruction kills the efficiency .

Comment

• wlambing
                              SubCommittee Member
                              • Feb 2003

Nice work, Erich! Well thought out, and very good execution!!

B^)

Comment

Working...
                              X